Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 12:07:31 AM EDT
Guns Found in Kansas. Were to Be Disposed Of

Tuesday January 11, 2005 6:16 AM

FORT RILEY, Kan. (AP) - Five military machine guns found two weeks ago near a lake near Fort Riley were part of a group of weapons that were supposed to have been disposed of, investigators said.

The machine guns - an M-240, a 5.56 millimeter and three Browning .50-caliber weapons - were found near Milford Lake, prompting residents' concerns.

Investigators from Fort Riley's Criminal Investigation Division said the machine guns were not stolen and had been properly removed from a Fort Riley unit's arms room.

The CID said it was investigating how the weapons ended up near the lake and why they were not given to the Directorate of Logistics, the agency responsible for proper disposal.

The investigators said the guns were not serviceable. Jeff Coverdale, a Fort Riley representative, said the CID did not explain how the guns were not serviceable, but it could mean that they were old or damaged.

SOMEBODY WAS ADDING TO THEIR COLLECTION NO DOUBT.........SCARY SHIT MAN
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember something about this being posted when they first found it.

why cant I find cool stuff?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:12:45 AM EDT
[#2]
damn it, I want a m-2
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I remember something about this being posted when they first found it.

why cant I find cool stuff?

I got the day off tommorow.....gonna visit a few lakes near millitary bases
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:14:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll be fucking damned, there was a thread about this, except in Arizona.  Three M2HB's on a frozen lake.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Just because a weapon that has non-service status, doesn't not mean it can't be fixed does it?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#7]
dude go to freaken fort hood and walk around in the training field for a while christ i have seen all kinds of crazy shit out there. once I found two brand new m2s in a ditch with 4000 rounds partialy covered with a broken tree. I wish i had been smarter at the time and not reported that shit to my 1st seargent. I remember one time 2-5 cav filled up a 2&1/2 with all weapons and gear after they were finished with a range while they were doing range clean up someone got in the truck and drove off they never did find out where that gear went. There were like 12 M4, 4 M203 4 SAWs 2 240s and a shit load of NODs and field gear in that truck!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn Thats about 15 minutes from me
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Damn Thats about 15 minutes from me

Need to fish more.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dude go to freaken fort hood and walk around in the training field for a while christ i have seen all kinds of crazy shit out there. once I found two brand new m2s in a ditch with 4000 rounds partialy covered with a broken tree. I wish i had been smarter at the time and not reported that shit to my 1st seargent. I remember one time 2-5 cav filled up a 2&1/2 with all weapons and gear after they were finished with a range while they were doing range clean up someone got in the truck and drove off they never did find out where that gear went. There were like 12 M4, 4 M203 4 SAWs 2 240s and a shit load of NODs and field gear in that truck!!!!

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn!  

Maybe the lefties are stocking up to answer the call for the"Liberal Jihad" on inauguration day.........................watch out for the " Liberal Jihad" GWB, the looney left is packin
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:34:38 AM EDT
[#12]
ok what would you do if you found this stuff?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I would seriously have to think a while about it.

I would love to have the toys, but then again I don't want to be Bubba's toy in a six by nine ft cell
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:51:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ok what would you do if you found this stuff?

keep your mouth shut.

in all seriousness. you could demill an M2 and make good change selling it as a parts kit.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Like I said in the first post about the dolt that didn't keep these.
"My add in the EE would resd:
2 Ma duece parts kits for sale.
Everything intact minus the right side reciever plates.
Also one semi auto Ma duece and one semi m240."

Take funds aquired and purchase transferable type fun guns.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:37:20 AM EDT
[#16]
unfortunatly for the above said plan u'd have to take off the top reciever plate too, and probably the left wall too, since the top is stamped with the serial nukmber so we can read them when theyre racked.

usually by the time the army admits that they are broken they are very very broken. being an armorer i have some horror stories about that
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:45:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
First time I've heard of  losing your collection on the way to a tragic boating accident.

at least they didn't drown
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:09:05 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Maybe the lefties are stocking up to answer the call for the"Liberal Jihad" on inauguration day.........................watch out for the " Liberal Jihad" GWB, the looney left is packin

lol...

i would kindly ask that you not refer to them as "lefties". Might give us southpaws a bad name. lol..

I'd love to be walking in the woods one day and trip over a ma-deuce.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
First time I've heard of  losing your collection on the way to a tragic boating accident.

+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:12 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
once I found two brand new m2s in a ditch with 4000 rounds partialy covered with a broken tree. I wish i had been smarter at the time and not reported that shit to my 1st seargent.

You were smarter then if you now think that not reporting that stuff would have been the right thing to do? What would you have done? Carted it off? Do you have some lifelong wish to be Bubba's girlfriend.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:28:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

And by smarter do you mean you wish you had stolen them for yourself  

If your kidding, it's not funny. If your not kidding, your posting at the wrong site, pal.
We don't play like that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:45:45 AM EDT
[#23]
You'd be amazed at what can fly under the radar by keeping your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Maybe you are jumping to conclusions.

What he may mean is that he has since figured out that in the service no one likes a tattletale, not even the bosses.

Quoted:

Quoted:

And by smarter do you mean you wish you had stolen them for yourself  

If your kidding, it's not funny. If your not kidding, your posting at the wrong site, pal.
We don't play like that.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll be fucking damned, there was a thread about this, except in Arizona.  Three M2HB's on a frozen lake.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought about it ,and I think I would call the cops and just save the wear and tear on my poop chute......................sorry Bubba I'm no punk Bitch
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the idea of a M2 parts kit. Hell, .50 brass from an M2 or even some arty shells would make quite a mantle peice to tell the grandkids.

BTW, are Artillery shells illegal or something? I'd love to get one for my door at school.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Lots of stuff laying around near me. But its a big no-no.  Much of it didn't go boom. (yet)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Maybe the lefties are stocking up to answer the call for the"Liberal Jihad" on inauguration day.........................watch out for the " Liberal Jihad" GWB, the looney left is packin[/quote

Quoted:
I would seriously have to think a while about it.

I would love to have the toys, but then again I don't want to be Bubba's toy in a six by nine ft cell

Im charging 2 minutes for overuse of the smilies.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#30]
2 minutes is up.........................................game on
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
2 minutes is up.........................................game on

Now that was good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Used to find belted ammo out on the ranges .  Weapons and NOD's on the other hand, I would turn them into MP's.  One of my fellow techs saved a CPT's career by finding a lost weapon out on the range.  The weapon was lost on a night time movement and they could never find it, those who don't know, the Company Commander takes it in the ass when a weapon goes missing even though a dipshit troop didn't keep track of his weapon.  The Captain bought my friend a Case of beer, which always is an accepted form of thanks in EOD.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#33]
It wasn't me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:19:40 PM EDT
[#34]
I used to find a lot of unexploded ordnance on the ground at Ft. Carson, Ft. Riley, Ft. Drum. I once found a grenade with the pin still in it.

I've found unexploded tank shells, lots of unexpended 556.

Never any complete rifles though : (.

ETA there was a BDE named "Lucky" at Aberdeen Proving Ground who had one good eye, one thumb and two fingers right, three fingers left and a lot of plastic surgery on the right side of his face. His specialty was 500lb "dumb" bombs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know about you guys, but sneaking onto firing ranges could be a lucrative business opertunity if you were so inclined. .50 reloaders would dig cheap brass.

Ben
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#36]
A co-worker at Ft. Campbell found a M-9 while mowing at a Landfill. Turned it in to someone at the 5TH  Special Forces Group's compound . What a dumbass!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Islamic Terrorist sympathizer on the base leaves the weapons where an Islamic Terrorist friend on the outside can pick them up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A co-worker at Ft. Campbell found a M-9 while mowing at a Landfill. Turned it in to someone at the 5TH  Special Forces Group's compound . What a dumbass!!!

What's dumb about turning it in, he did right thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#39]
10-4 ON THAT
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#40]
When I was at FT. Riley in ‘90, we were on an FTX playing war games.  I was sent with 3 other
guys in my platoon to make a half-assed ambush for a convoy.  And don’t give me crap about a
four person ambush, we were an engineer company, so we didn’t have a large group to play war
games.

We went down a dirt road to a point where our sergeant had the two other guys go to the right
behind some dead trees, and he and I went to the left in a small depression by a rotted log.  So we
get all settled in and start to wait. A long time. I got bored and started to pick at the log with my
knife and dig at the point where it came in contact with the ground.  Next thing you know, we
both heard a metallic ‘clink’ from my knife.  I dug around a little bit and pulled out a long chunk
of rusted metal.  We cleaned it off a bit, and found out it was a M-1 barrel and receiver, complete
with an empty clip.  We both dug around a little bit more, but didn’t find a buttplate, stock or any
other parts.

We of course turned it in.  I wondered how long that had been there, and if someone had lost it,
or what-not.  Unfortunately, it was to far gone to get a serial number, but a neat experience all the
same.

Steven
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#41]
IBTL!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Cool story thanks fo sharing
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#43]
My squad was swimming in the man made ponds at FOB Volturno near Fallujah.  My squad leader goes to some high grass to take a leak, and trips over a M16/M203.  It was from another MP unit that had been looking for it for some time.  One of their squad leaders set it down to go swimming and forgot where he put it.  

Edited to add: this is the coolest story I got, it's not as cool as finding a M2 or a really old M1 reciever.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#44]
What happens to someone who loses there weapon like that? Cover for him or what?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top