Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/1/2012 8:27:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 5:56:36 AM EDT by ColtRifle]
Anyone seen this welder? Looks pretty useful for a homeowner. Clearly not what a professional welder would want but might be a good deal for someone who welds around the house/farm. It has good reviews.

Hybrid welder
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:00:36 PM EDT
I'd rather have dedicated units, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:25:40 PM EDT
The real multiprocess units are crazy expensive.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:45:33 PM EDT
you should be able to buy a stick welder and a separate mig for about the same price, most homeowners aren't going to do much tig welding, probably better to buy a dedicated machine , probably do a better job than the machine shown. Good multiprocess machine will cost a lot more than this
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 3:54:10 PM EDT
If I wanted a machine like that, I'd save my dollars for a while and buy a Thermal Arc 181i.

I don't know how good of a machine the 181i is, but Thermal Arc is a quality brand and they make some very nice machines.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:02:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JoshD:
If I wanted a machine like that, I'd save my dollars for a while and buy a Thermal Arc 181i.

I don't know how good of a machine the 181i is, but Thermal Arc is a quality brand and they make some very nice machines.

this.....

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/index.php
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:01:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Anyone seen this welder? Looks pretty useful for a homeowner. Clearly not what a professional welder would want but might be a good deal for someone who welds around the house/farm. It has good reviews.

Hybrid welder

save your money and get a real welder, unless you are just going to be welding very thin stuff. personally i wouldn't consider any stick welder under 200 amps. 30% duty cycle at 160 amps won't let you do much more than the occasional light repair.
jmho,
ymmv
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:09:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rwilkins01:

Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Hybrid welder

save your money and get a real welder, unless you are just going to be welding very thin stuff. personally i wouldn't consider any stick welder under 200 amps. 30% duty cycle at 160 amps won't let you do much more than the occasional light repair.
jmho,
ymmv

I'm not planning on buying one. Have a 110 volt MIG and have access to a 225 Lincoln stick welder. I'll eventually be buying a Lincoln myself.

My main reason for posting it is that there might be someone out there needing a welder but can't afford to buy one of each. This would do MOST of what a homestead farmer or homeowner might need for 99% of household welding needs.

The average homeowner does not need a high end welder.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:55:25 PM EDT
Most TIG welders will do arc process as well. Seems like the unit in the link just has the MIG process in a special gun.

A simple arc welder and some knowledge of how to use it will make the MIG a non-issue with most home/farm/shop repairs.

As or TIG, we'll I just love TIG.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:27:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Echo2:
Originally Posted By JoshD:

this.....

https://www.thermadyne.com/Thermal%20Arc%203in1/index.php

I actually have the thermal arc 3 in one its great on mig and stick. I don't have it set up for GTAW yet. It didn't come with the torch or a pedal. just leads and a mig gun.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:42:30 AM EDT
Duty Cycle
30% @ 60 Amps

That kills it for me right there. It's a cheap toy welder. You'll be able to lay an honest 1" bead while welding 1/8" steel before it starts giving you fits.

Cheap, tig, quality. Choose any two you like.

Top Top