Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2005 4:30:49 AM EDT
cereal makers used to glue the cereal bag to the bottom of the box so the whole thing
didn't come flying out when pouring into a bowl.
How much money can they possibly be saving by eliminating this process.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:36:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad start to your day?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bad start to your day?

Yup, launched raisin bran all over my counter top. Oh well, my son got a good laugh out of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone probably saw an opportunity to remove, or fail to create the following for a new plant:

Machine to apply glue
Person to maintain glue applying machine
Person to refill glue
Cost of glue

All in all, this could have a cost of several tens of thousands of dollars.  Per box of cereal produced, this probably saved them $0.00.  However, it's probably more like $0.00001 per box, so they do save some money with the volume they put out.

It's also not the kind of thing that most people are going to get worked up over and start a boycott, so the risk of cutting costs is low.

There are a lot worse things that are being done to customers for far less benefit.  I can live with cuts like this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:51:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I hear ya.  The brand of bread crumbs I buy now uses less cardboard for the container so when you grab it, it practically collapses.  I would be willing to pay the extra 5-10 cents if that is how much money they are saving.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Weren't the bags they used to glue to the inside of the box made of Waxpaper ? Maybe they eliminated the process when they made the switch to the plastic they use today.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I hear ya.  The brand of bread crumbs I buy now uses less cardboard for the container so when you grab it, it practically collapses.  I would be willing to pay the extra 5-10 cents if that is how much money they are saving.

There are two problems here.  One is the cost, which is the factor the companies are trying to minimize.  The other is your mistaken assumption that anyone cares what you, the consumer, thinks.  I'll pay more for superior products and services, but I see a lot of companies competing to offer the cheapest products and their only quality goal is to not be noticeably worse than the competition.  I don't have a choice to pay more for a better product if everyone is making crap because of their focus on cost.  Pride and craftsmanship don't mean squat compared to profits and bottom line costs.

This attitude around money is why my cars are Japanese.  Sure, they're assembled here in the US, which is nice, but the overall process is managed by Japanese standards.  I consulted for a Japanese company a long time ago where an engineer mentioned how happy he was to work for them since they trusted his judgement in engineering decisions and they were willing to increase the cost of the product if necessary to make changes that resulted in a better product.

American firearms are among the finest and most reasonably priced available.  Unfortunately, companies that value their reputation, their products and their customers are the exception these days.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:49:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are two problems here.  One is the cost, which is the factor the companies are trying to minimize.  The other is your mistaken assumption that anyone cares what you, the consumer, thinks.  I'll pay more for superior products and services, but I see a lot of companies competing to offer the cheapest products and their only quality goal is to not be noticeably worse than the competition.  I don't have a choice to pay more for a better product if everyone is making crap because of their focus on cost.  Pride and craftsmanship don't mean squat compared to profits and bottom line costs.

This attitude around money is why my cars are Japanese.  Sure, they're assembled here in the US, which is nice, but the overall process is managed by Japanese standards.  I consulted for a Japanese company a long time ago where an engineer mentioned how happy he was to work for them since they trusted his judgement in engineering decisions and they were willing to increase the cost of the product if necessary to make changes that resulted in a better product.

American firearms are among the finest and most reasonably priced available.  Unfortunately, companies that value their reputation, their products and their customers are the exception these days.

Good post!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Some corporate asshole is getting a golden parachute for the money he saved the company by eliminating the spot of glue on the bottom of the bag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top