Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2006 11:13:18 AM EDT
I'm going to MEPS tomorrow.  Need some feedback on some MOS's.  I'm looking at the Signal Corps Branch (Field 25).  The reason is that I am a computer engineer (worked for 7 years in the Silicon Valley).  Plus, I'm 30 years old and have a wife and daughter.  You may call me a REMF or whatever, fine.  I'll just try to ignore you then.  What I really need is some inside information on what these jobs are really like.  There are 17 MOS's in the Signal Corps.  I want to pick the one that is the most advanced technically--the one that requires the highest degree of "smarts".  I've looked into this a little bit myself, and these look like they might fit the bill:

25B-lnformation Systems Operator-Analyst
25D-Telecommunications Operator-Maintainer
25F-Network Switching Systems Operator- Maintainer

Any and all feedback appreciated!  I go to MEPS tomorrow!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Bah!  You could be joining up to sling chow and I'd still thank you for your service.  Everybody, in every MOS, is critical.

Best of luck to you.  

+1  Everyone is a cog in the big green machine.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not much help in terms of MOS choices since I was in the Marine Corps, but I will say this:

Thank you!

Also look into some of the aviation fields, there's plenty of electronics there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you look up the job descriptions of those MOS's on www.goarmy.com? Just plug in the MOS in the search box.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's the Signal Corps discusstion board on www.military.com
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I was in from 85' to 93' in the Aviation field. Specifically 68f10 Aircraft electrician. I worked with basically every aircraft in the ARMY inventory and almost every system in it. (Excluding Armorment and Avionics or Radios if you will.) The wiring was pretty much all mine as well as many sub systems. It was a great job and I would do it again in a minute. I think the MOS number has changed but the job is still the same. If you like technical stuff I think you will like the job. I usually stayed in the rear but I was flown to the aircraft on many occasion. I recomend it because of the fact you are not limited to one aircraft. You can work on fixed wing or rotary wing from OH-58 to CH-47.

My three cents...

Edit for spelling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a 31S (SATCOM OP/Maint) when I was in, before the change over to the 25 series.  

We deployed with some 31F switch guys.  They were basically telephone dudes.   They ran the onsite telephone lines and managed the different extensions.  Lots of thier work was outside plant type stuff (pulling cables, troubleshooting line runs and such).  After the initial setup of camp or whatever they had lots of freetime like us.  

When you're in the field CONUS DSN access and Niprnet are like gold.  Lots of perks will be coming your way for a little dial tone.

BTW: Our net/sys admin guys were 74C back then.  Not sure if they still do that stuff now or not.

Let us know what you choose.  

CHRIS  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I git to go visit the finger waving Dr. Big hands at MEPS on friday-  I am re-enlisting in the Air Force.  Nothing techinal - which I would like.  Me=dumbass got out...if i would have just stayed in, i would be done in 2 years!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Good luck at MEPS. I made some of the most important decisions I ever made in my life there, and I do not ever regret them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm going to MEPS tomorrow.  Need some feedback on some MOS's.  I'm looking at the Signal Corps Branch (Field 25).  The reason is that I am a computer engineer (worked for 7 years in the Silicon Valley).  Plus, I'm 30 years old and have a wife and daughter.  You may call me a REMF or whatever, fine.  I'll just try to ignore you then.  What I really need is some inside information on what these jobs are really like.  There are 17 MOS's in the Signal Corps.  I want to pick the one that is the most advanced technically--the one that requires the highest degree of "smarts".  I've looked into this a little bit myself, and these look like they might fit the bill:

General rule of thumb-the longer the AIT and/or number of places you go for AIT, the more smarts involved.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Asssuming you have a high enough GT score to get the mentioned MOS's, at the MEPS they will tell you the MOS's you want are not available.  The only jobs available are infantry, armor, MP.  Hold out for what you want, and get it in writing in your contract.  Walk away if they can't offer you want.

I met some 25 series at Walter Reed, seemed like a cool enough job.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]
you want high tech?--you check out the AF?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hold out for what you want, and get it in writing in your contract.  Walk away if they can't offer you want.

This can't be stressed enough....................

If it isn't in your contract, it isn't going to happen.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#14]
SEMPER FIDELIS,,THANKS for just enlisting
If I were a smart one I've gone onto a tech field,,intesteda being a Gruntasours Reckit
But I did have a great time,,USMC Recon ,,yhea swimin,diving,shooting all kinds a stuff.
Now?
truck drivings gotta be a fever
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:42:35 PM EDT
[#15]
25F is where its at.  When you get out in 4 years you can immediately get a job overseas making $100-200k+ a year.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
SEMPER FIDELIS,,THANKS for just enlisting
If I were a smart one I've gone onto a tech field,,intesteda being a Gruntasours Reckit
But I did have a great time,,USMC Recon ,,yhea swimin,diving,shooting all kinds a stuff.
Now?
truck drivings gotta be a fever

Oh and by the way it takes an average 7 REMFs to keep 1 grunt out in the field
If you ain't infantry,,you're support,,,
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I took my test a few weeks ago. I scored high enough that I got MI Counter Intel Agency. Went to MEPS last week and did perfect........ Until my hearing test.
Failed.

Now I'm going through the waiver process. Lost the MI position and decided to go reserves instead. Going for the basic MP position if I can get the waiver.
I feel like I got kicked in the nuts.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I am going to MEPS on Thursday. I want either an 18x Special Forces or Option 40 Ranger contract. Any tips on getting either one and also choosing between the two would be greatly appreciated. Also I am interested in any warnings people can give me about tricks they might try to play on me to get me into whatever they want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am going to MEPS on Thursday. I want either an 18x Special Forces or Option 40 Ranger contract. Any tips on getting either one and also choosing between the two would be greatly appreciated. Also I am interested in any warnings people can give me about tricks they might try to play on me to get me into whatever they want.

Do a lot of PT, and a lot of rucking before you go.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I'm already working hard on the PT. I'm running 6 miles at an 8 minute pace and doing tons of calisthenics. I will probably pick up a ruck and boots later this week. Any tips on choosing both would be welcome. I would like to get stuff that I could use in service, particularly the boots, so if it is approved for duty use that would be great. I expect I will be looking in Grand Forks, ND. Anyone know of a good spot to shop for that stuff there?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:59:19 PM EDT
[#21]
UMP45,

I have some very good friends with 10+ years in the Signal Corps.  The advice I got is:

Absolutely NOT 25D

Bravo or Fox is Okay, but go with Bravo if you can.  Fox is getting to be a little less of what you are looking for. Best bet is 25B.  

Much of the SC is moving to Huachuca and Gordon.  Anywhere else is, relatively speaking, plug and play.

If you have questions, PM me.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I was a 25F (31 then but who cares) on active duty and I'm now a 25U in the Guard. For me, I like to stay as far away from the Tactical Ops Center(TOC) and the brass as possible. That's why I enjoy 25U, I get to be very alone. 25B might sound high-tech, but all I've seen those guys do is run little taclans in the TOC for all of the officers. And as a 25F you can pretty much get a decent job with any phone company when you get out.hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#24]
good luck hard charger

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top