Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2010 11:25:57 AM EDT
I just went through MEPS on Friday and it was ridiculous. I got there at 5 on time and they didn't get me out of my physical until 5 in the afternoon! Need less to say I did not get to sign paper work or get sworn in. Those people were in no way organized and couldn't of had a worse attitude. That is all just venting.

BTW I gotta go back tomorrow to sign and swear in.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#1]

YEP. Welcome to Military life.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#2]
haha well....honestly, pretty much 80% of the things you do in the .mil will never be organized, ontime or go as planned. You better get used to "hurry up and wait" and "standby to standby" because there will be ALOT of that in your life.

Oh and what branch?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear ya
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Get used to the phrase, hurry up and wait...
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you proceed, think about this:  you just had a 12 hour glimpse of what the next four, six, however many years is gonna be.  Are you sure you want to swear in?  

I've been to MEPS a couple of times.  I don't mind it at all.  The hotel is kick ass.  It's a Drury Inn, downtown St. Louis, pretty upscale.  There's a bit of hurry up and wait, but it's tolerable.  Overall, I'd say the St. Louis MEPS is pretty squared away, for being what it is.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
haha well....honestly, pretty much 80% of the things you do in the .mil will never be organized, ontime or go as planned. You better get used to "hurry up and wait" and "standby to standby" because there will be ALOT of that in your life.  

Oh and what branch?

Haven't heard that in a while.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#7]
MEPS was the worst day and a half in my career.. so far
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Best of MEPS =

Bunking with a Navy guy the night before who explained how he had to get his tattoo of a spread eagle chick on his leg covered up before he could join up.

Unhappy USMC Colonel's morning briefing.

Trying to duck walk without laughing.

Listening to a gritty and disgruntled Petty Officer tell an individual in many more words, to unf*** himself because he couldn't balance on one foot.

Soft baked cookies with lunch and the cafeteria lady that gave me an extra one.

Being given not so nice "special attention" for being a USMC OCS candidate

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#9]
MEPS was a great sample of what my military career has so far been. I recommend taking a short term contract if you didn't like MEPS.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Back in 88 the Dallas MEPS was great. Great lunch on the day you DEPPED and the day you shipped. Everything was smooth and there was a SMOKING female Marine that made several appearances throughout the day. SS
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Our hotel was awsome, the part that sucked was that I had to do everything twice because the people that processed me messed up my paper work and I had to take tommorow off of work to go finish everything up. The only thing i didn't have to do twice was Ortho. I still definetly want to join and I am excited about swearing in tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MEPS was a great sample of what my military career has so far been. I recommend taking a short term contract if you didn't like MEPS.

I talked to a couple of guys who had done it at other places and said that wherever they did it in Texas was smooth and easy. They both agreed that 4 people trying to process 50 of us was stupid.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 3:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
They lost my physical from last year so I will be visiting MEPS again this week.  Planning to take a book to help pass the waiting time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh and what branch?

11b National Guard. Looks like I will go to basic in January. The unit i was put with is being deployed in October. Im excited to get this whole thing started.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Baltimore MEPS (1st time) wasn't too bad.  Or maybe I was too young and stupid to notice.

Richmond MEPS (2nd time) flat sucked and I honestly hated every minute of the four days I had to spend there.  Being a retread with a significantly lower bullshit tolerance might have had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Baltimore MEPS (1st time) wasn't too bad.  Or maybe I was too young and stupid to notice.

Richmond MEPS (2nd time) flat sucked and I honestly hated every minute of the four days I had to spend there.  Being a retread with a significantly lower bullshit tolerance might have had something to do with it.

I agree.

I went to Richmond MEPS for my first time, and I was too wide eyed to know what was going on. I probably would have been annoyed at it now. I do know the name of the man with whom I've been most intimate in my life, DR. Pablo Ayala... thanks for THAT memory, MEPS.

The second time I went to Richmond MEPS at it's current location (same as Bonk), which is actually co-located on Ft. Lee. I thought it went very smooth, but of course being a 'retread' (retard?) I didn't just sit and wait to be told where to go. I was the guy whose paperwork was squared away, went up and spoke to the apparent NCOIC's, bullshitted with the secretaries, and basically made the process move a lot smoother. I didn't have a bad time at all. Other than the reading material in the waiting room sucked.

One comment - I'd much have preferred to take a paper version of the ASVAB. I took it on paper the first time and computer the second. You can't go back and change an answer, whatever you click (even if you make a mistake) is what your answer is forever. With paper, I always double check my answers. I did vastly improve my line scores, though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Best of MEPS =

Bunking with a Navy guy the night before who explained how he had to get his tattoo of a spread eagle chick on his leg covered up before he could join up.

Unhappy USMC Colonel's morning briefing.

Trying to duck walk without laughing.

Listening to a gritty and disgruntled Petty Officer tell an individual in many more words, to unf*** himself because he couldn't balance on one foot.

Soft baked cookies with lunch and the cafeteria lady that gave me an extra one.

Being given not so nice "special attention" for being a USMC OCS candidate

Really wish someone would have told me to wear spandex or tight boxers that day.  When they told us to duckwalk my junk kept flopping out of my boxers.  Of course I'm making mistakes because I'm trying to secure my package....."NUMBER 6, WALK IT AGAIN."  This was in front of a doctor, 2 nurses, and 15 other guys.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:11:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I do wonder how they find the oldest doctors know to mankind though?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This

I dont get it either. My doctor had me bend down and spread my ass cheeks so he can check my asshole....TWICE. He didnt get a good enough look the first time. I wish i would have farted
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:00:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They had to retire from private practice because they were so fucking old and senile that noone would pay them to be a doctor anymore. You aint got that problem with MEPS kiddies.

Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

I went to Richmond MEPS for my first time, and I was too wide eyed to know what was going on. I probably would have been annoyed at it now. I do know the name of the man with whom I've been most intimate in my life, DR. Pablo Ayala... thanks for THAT memory, MEPS.

The second time I went to Richmond MEPS at it's current location (same as Bonk), which is actually co-located on Ft. Lee. I thought it went very smooth, but of course being a 'retread' (retard?) I didn't just sit and wait to be told where to go. I was the guy whose paperwork was squared away, went up and spoke to the apparent NCOIC's, bullshitted with the secretaries, and basically made the process move a lot smoother. I didn't have a bad time at all. Other than the reading material in the waiting room sucked.

One comment - I'd much have preferred to take a paper version of the ASVAB. I took it on paper the first time and computer the second. You can't go back and change an answer, whatever you click (even if you make a mistake) is what your answer is forever. With paper, I always double check my answers. I did vastly improve my line scores, though.

I was processed in Richmond (1984), it was downtown then. It seemed like everyone there had a really bad attitude, to the point of being unprofessional. At first, it made me regret joining, but things got better once i was sworn in and shipped out, especially after A-school. Definitely, the military like all gov't operations moves slowly and involves a shit-ton of paperwork. Good luck OP, and thanks for serving......
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and what branch?

11b National Guard. Looks like I will go to basic in January. The unit i was put with is being deployed in October. Im excited to get this whole thing started.

Enjoy Benning in January.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and what branch?

Enjoy Benning in January.

Yeah, i hear its a tid bit nipply outside that time of year.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I went through the Detroit MEPS. Complete different perspective. Most were sworn in and contracted by 12. I personally just drove to meps so i can't comment on the motel.

Now everything else I have experienced in the military goes along the lines of Hurry up and wait.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]
i did meps in 3 days

1 day to take the asvab

1 day to inprocess and sign/swear

1 day to go back and fill out the paperwork they lost on the second day

on my second visit i watched a man piss on himself, another pass out from the sight of his own blood, a man wearing a thong do the duckwalk, a guy walk out before signing his contract cuz some marine was yelling at him and shit, said marine then got yelled at by another marine for losing a recruit, and i was attacked by an indian doctor who couldnt speak english and made me take my own blood pressure

but i got to see the sexy AF girls and got a free sandwich from subway
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I did Benning in june this year.....Jan can't be worse.

I did it from July-November of 2003. Then I got stationed there from 2007-2008. I know something about Benning. It's just a miserable fucking place, no matter what time of year. It gets colder than you think.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i did meps in 3 days

1 day to take the asvab

1 day to inprocess and sign/swear

1 day to go back and fill out the paperwork they lost on the second day

on my second visit i watched a man piss on himself, another pass out from the sight of his own blood, a man wearing a thong do the duckwalk, a guy walk out before signing his contract cuz some marine was yelling at him and shit, said marine then got yelled at by another marine for losing a recruit, and i was attacked by an indian doctor who couldnt speak english and made me take my own blood pressure

but i got to see the sexy AF girls and got a free sandwich from subway

I missed all the AF hotties. All I remember was there was about 20 army recruits, 6 marines, 4 navy, and 2 AF guys (myself included).
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What kinf of applicants do you think apply when you advertise for MDs to look at assholes and sign paperwork all day for $11/hour?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 1:01:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.

I was processed in Richmond (1984), it was downtown then. It seemed like everyone there had a really bad attitude, to the point of being unprofessional. At first, it made me regret joining, but things got better once i was sworn in and shipped out, especially after A-school. Definitely, the military like all gov't operations moves slowly and involves a shit-ton of paperwork. Good luck OP, and thanks for serving......

Was that before Law School?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The first time I got bounced out immediately (~05:03 ) for not having my SS card. OSO forgot to tell me I needed it. This was after driving two hours and spending the night in their kickass hotel.

Second time I brought ALL of my shit (SS card,birth certificate, passport, etc) so as not to leave anything to chance. There was another candidate there from the same OSO office and they forgot to tell him to bring his SS card too (2 weeks later...). Apparently he was a smoother talker than me because he convinced them to accept some document that had his SS number on it that had been signed by the OSO so they let him process. At the hotel, they tried to force me to ride the bus with everyone else but I refused and drove myself. The OSO told me they would do that and to just say no, haha. The morning went prety smoothly and I met alot of interesting people (Waiting in lines and such). I got nervous during the eye test because I had trouble with some of the depth perception parts but I passed it all with 100% perfect vision. I was done by noon and it took quite a bit of talking to convince them I didnt want a sandwich, I wanted to get my shit done and hit the road so I could get home and go to work. All in all, not too bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just went through MEPS on friday and it was rediculous. I got there at 5 on time and they didn't get me out of my physical until 5 in the afternoon! Need less to say i did not get to sign paper work or get sworn in. Those people were in no way organized and couldn't of had a worse atitude. That is all just venting.

BTW i gotta go back tomorrow to sign and swear in.

Fort Jackson MEPS?

I was there this this past Wed-Thurs-Fri.

Probably ran into ya.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just went through MEPS on friday and it was rediculous. I got there at 5 on time and they didn't get me out of my physical until 5 in the afternoon! Need less to say i did not get to sign paper work or get sworn in. Those people were in no way organized and couldn't of had a worse atitude. That is all just venting.

BTW i gotta go back tomorrow to sign and swear in.

There is no red in ridiculous.  The root of the word is the same as the word ridicule.

better
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:41:27 PM EDT
[#35]
My expieriance was fine until I got felt up by a 300 year old guy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:44:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Perhaps the military life isn't suited for you.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get used to the phrase, hurry up and wait...

True dat, I retired 7 years ago and I am still getting paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just because MEPS wasn't great for him doesn't mean he isn't cut out for it. I didn't like alot about basic but i still loved my service.

Keep with it man, thanks for serving your country!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Thanks for the opinion but I still joined. I may have had a crappy expieriance but it didn't deter me. I was just suprised by how unorganized everyone there was.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because MEPS wasn't great for him doesn't mean he isn't cut out for it. I didn't like alot about basic but i still loved my service.

Keep with it man, thanks for serving your country!

Complaining about the "hurry up and wait" aspect of MEPS is a key indicator that he will most likely get extremely frustrated with life in the .mil.  But who knows, maybe military life has changes since I was in 20 years ago.  According to my brother (E6, US Army), I think it is still the same as I remembered, only the uniforms have changed.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the opinion but I still joined. I may have had a crappy expieriance but it didn't deter me. I was just suprised by how unorganized everyone there was.

Thank you for volunteering to serve.  As bad as it can be at times, I still loved my time in the Army.  I wish I had stayed in.  Keep in mind that the military is a game (of sorts).  The better you get at playing it, the better you will do, the faster you will excel and the more fun you will have.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the advice, i appreciate every bit of help i can get!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:15:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Just finished Atlanta MEPS today, it wasn't bad at all.  Everything was hurry up and wait but that is to be expected.  But it was organized pretty good and flowed pretty smooth.  Seemed a lot better than the first time I went through MEPS in 1995.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#44]
my expieriance wouldn't had been so bad if they wouldn't have messed up/lost my paper work. Most of the docs were real nice. Coming from a job where we handle sensitive information all day i was suprised how unorganized they were. It wasn't a good feeling hearing they lost paper work with ssn on it and other info. Thats really what bothered  me most aside from taking off another day of work to go up there to finish it all.

My recruiter was telling me today that there is talk of changing it so all your medical stuff is done by a local doctor instead of doing the physical there. Then you just go there to sign paper work and swear in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
my expieriance wouldn't had been so bad if they wouldn't have messed up/lost my paper work. Most of the docs were real nice. Coming from a job where we handle sensitive information all day i was suprised how unorganized they were. It wasn't a good feeling hearing they lost paper work with ssn on it and other info. Thats really what bothered  me most aside from taking off another day of work to go up there to finish it all.

My recruiter was telling me today that there is talk of changing it so all your medical stuff is done by a local doctor instead of doing the physical there. Then you just go there to sign paper work and swear in.

The only person that continuously kept screwing up... was my recruiter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you saw how unorganized MEPS is huh? Wait until you see how unorganized the actual military is, its going to blow your mind. If I had to repeat my whole life the only thing I would change is that I would join the army at 16 or 17 or whatever the earliest age is. The army has given me everything especially money, glory, and women. But I still can't believe anything gets done with the amount of bullshit they put them selves through and the sub par government employees they use. Also the piece of shit soldiers they just keep in for no reason, I don't get it.

I wish the government would pay me to go overseas to Iraq or Afghanistan and just interview every person of every company and just find out what they do. Then I would just fire all the worthless ones, I bet I would fire more then half of every company.

Me and my squad leader were on an 8 day mission in A-stan so we had nothing to do but talk and we ended up doing the math on how many people actually participated, coordinated, or helped each mission in any way shape or form. We took the total number of soldiers in the company then we cut out people who had jobs that there total amount of actual work they did in each day accumulated to 1 hour or less and we cut them out of the number, because we could just designate one soldier to do a bunch of 1 hour jobs every day. Then we cut everyone out that had tried to kill themselves, then we cut out the constant profile kids, then everyone that just rode in the back of each truck because they weren't smart enough to fill any other position, and everyone that just pretty much did nothing and flew under the radar. And we ended up with over 75% of the company who either did no work or less then an hour of work each day.

Link Posted: 10/29/2010 2:47:29 AM EDT
[#47]
First trip down went smooth for me.....but when it came time for me to ship out it took a week of going through the MEPS hell to finally get there

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top