Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2006 4:58:21 AM EDT
So, what's the benefit of one over the other.  The Mrs. needs a new primary care doc. and I'm trying to help out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 4:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Maryland sucks.  So go with whatever state DO is.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:05:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:15:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask your wife to get a recommendation from her OB or from friends she trusts.    
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#4]
DOs can perscribe meds etc.?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Of course they can, they're docs...  Just a different approach to the field...
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#7]
They are both just as qualified.  DOs go through all the same classes as MDs, and then a couple more.  They can prescribe medications, do surgery and everything exactly as MDs do.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes - although most MD's regard them as "lower class" because they don't attend the same schools.  My sister is an ARNP and my fiance an MD - most don't hold them in the highest regard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes - although most MD's regard them as "lower class" because they don't attend the same schools.  My sister is an ARNP and my fiance an MD - most don't hold them in the highest regard.

I've noticed this as well, even though it seems from what I've heard that they actually get more training.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:32:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer to see a DO whenever possible. In my experience, a DO seeks to find the cause of the ailment, and offer preventative measures to keep it from occurring again - changes in diet, exercise, attitude, environment - whatever. For general maladies, such as flu and bronchitis, I find that the treatment I've received from DOs gets me back up to speed quicker and better than being treated by MDs. Also, although DOs certainly may prescribe any medication, I find them less likely to prescribe medication to treat symptoms than MDs. I'm just not big on medication anyway.

However, MDs with expertise in a narrow field have given me very good treatment as well.  Iowe my life, literally, to a couple of MDs. Pending the results from some testing I had done earlier this week, I may need to add another one to the list.

The key to any health care choice is that it's YOUR life and well-being that is at issue. You need to be an active participant in your own diagnosis, treatment and, most importantly, prevention. Such self-advocacy is made much easier if you have a comfortable relationship with your primary physician, be it a DO, MD, Witch Doctor, Shaman or Snake Handler.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've noticed this as well, even though it seems from what I've heard that they actually get more training.

When my fiance was doing her surgery rotation she said the older MD's were always criticizing/critiquing the DO's work.  Not saying they have lesser training - but just different.

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The key to any health care choice is that it's YOUR life and well-being that is at issue. You need to be an active participant in your own diagnosis, treatment and, most importantly, prevention. Such self-advocacy is made much easier if you have a comfortable relationship with your primary physician, be it a DO, MD, Witch Doctor, Shaman or Snake Handler.

Best advice yet.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Maryland sucks.  So go with whatever state DO is.

Brilliant!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top