Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 10:06:41 AM EDT
www.shoutwire.com/viewstory/4595/Russian_Inventor_Patents_Invisibility_Cloak

A professor from the department of quantum and optical electronics of the Ulyanovsk State University in western Russia has patented a method of making things invisible, Interfax news agency reported.

The so-called invisibility cloak, created by Oleg Gadomsky, is called “The method of conversion of optical radiation” in the patent.

Gadomsky had been long experimenting on nanoparticles of gold. He now claims to have invented a sub-micron stratum of microscopical colloid golden particles that makes an object placed behind it invisible to an observer.

“Only static objects can be made invisible for the time being, as during motion the radiation frequency changes. But soon it will be possible to create a cap of darkness and a magic cloak like Harry Potter’s,” the scientist believes.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Whoa, is that an actual pic?

Looks suspicioulsy like someone standing in front of a wall with a projector/truck image behind him....
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought you had to have a projector connected to a camera project on you with that thing?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw something like this a few years ago.  It was the same deal except it was in japan.  I doubt anyone has a real solid working prototype of this stuff yet.  Anything out now is going to be clumsy and useless outside of a lab.  Cool stuff once someone can get it working though.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a sheet of white posterboard from Office Max that makes objects invisible when they're placed behind it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it was in Japan.  If fact, I'd lay down $10 that the picture in the story came from Japan.

projects.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/projects/MEDIA/xv/oc.html
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw something like that in the movie "PREDATOR"...........
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Right now it's an "idea" involving a camera and projector. It is not yet functional, and only works when viewed from the same perspective as the camera. Sidestep by a foot and it isn't effective anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top