Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2001 8:58:50 AM EDT
I have a MAK 90 Sporter and the font sight is off to the right and needs to be recentered. How do I adjust the front sight to recenter it?
Thanks,

Max
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#1]
A friend of mine had to adjust his front sight and was amazed at how tight they are and difficult to move. The easiest thing to do is get a front sight tool. They can be had at gun shows or get one from Tapco for $5.95, item #TOOL 0302.
[url]tapco.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You need one of these from Tapco.com @[url]http://www.tapco.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=TOOL0302&variation=&aitem=44&mitem=46&back=yes[/url]

[img]http://www.tapco.com/store/images/TOOL302.JPG[/img]

Basically it moves the the front sight windage and elevation.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Those sight adjustment tools don't really work. I tired it on my Hungarian, but had no luck. It almost broke. So what I did was take a hammer, drilled a big hole in wood, then took a dowel, placed it on the side of the front sight and lightly tapped it to where I wanted the sight to be. If the tool doesn't owrk for you, try that out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all!!  I will buy one of those tools at the next show.

Max
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to your local plumbing supply store, and ask them for a "beam clamp".
They are almost identical to the tool shown above, but without a T-handle.
You can probably get them for about $.99
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a MAK 90 Sporter and the font sight is off to the right and needs to be recentered. How do I adjust the front sight to recenter it?
Thanks,

Max
View Quote

Keep in mind, if you "center" the front sight, you may be messing up your guns accuracy...
Many AK's have mis-aligned front sight towers, and the sight being "off-center" might be compensating for this...

Have you sighted in your gun yet ?

You may have to press the sight over even more "off-center" to get it to shoot on paper...
I know it looks ridiculous, but thats how many AK's are...
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Must be the crappy Norinco model.  I have the same problem.  It looks stupid when you take aim but it hits what I aim at so why fix it if it ain't broke.  [smash]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
About those sight adjustment tools: if you use one to adjust windage, the cylinder holding the sight WILL get scratched no matter what you do. They are very tight. Just make sure you put some touch up bluing on and it will look good as new. I helped this guy at the range sight in his ak and after adjusting a few times the gun ended up being zeroed where the sight originally was!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi Max,
As mentioned before, have you sighted it in yet? I have a Norinco MAK-90 that had a crooked front sight base, about 15 degrees off. I sighted it in but the front was maxed out to the right. Shot fine but looked like crap. I punched out the two pins on the sight base, realigned the base, redrilled the barrel to fit the new position and reinstalled the base with new roll pins. Works great and looks factory. Good luck.  [uzi]  
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to move the center sight over and it shoots straight and fine now!!

Max
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 1:09:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
i see godzillamax got it working, but for future reference

those tapco site movers SUCK!!!
people break those chinese $5 POS all the time

spend $15 and get the B-Square AK/SKS front site pusher, its the BEST and UNBREAKABLE.
any other unconventional method could bust your site, and yes they are VERY difficult to move, but they need to be to hold zero.

the other method of sight adjustment is to get a RPK Rear Adjustable site, for $20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top