Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2005 4:58:05 PM EDT
Well, a couple of weeks ago I got handed a doosie of a case. Without going into details, I got handed a criminal trespass and criminal damaging case where the Victims are being MAJORLY impatient and are calling the Mayor and City Manager, telling them we're not doing anything about their case. As we all know, shit rolls downhill. The Mayor and City Manager called the Chief and the Chief let me have my fair share.

I was unable to locate the Suspect until last week. I finally tracked him down, only to discover that he is engaged to the daughter of one of the Chief's good friends, a retired Sgt from our Department. I called the Suspect to the Station for a statement, the suspect's soon-to-be father-in-law calls the Chief, who arrives at the Station before I do and speaks to the Suspect without Mirandizing him or anything. I get there, the Chief leaves, I thought, and I get down to getting his statement.

Now, keep in mind that, with the shit the Chief received, all I'd been hearing for a couple of weeks was to find the Suspect and "throw the book at him!" Chief wants charges filed YESTERDAY on him! So, imagine my surprise when I get called out of the interview room with the Suspect, only to find the Chief in Dispatch. Chief proceeds to tell me that I am to NOT file any charges on the Suspect, that he talked to the Suspect and believes the Suspect and says, flat-out, that the Victims are "being less than truthful". This despite getting statements from numerous people who had been there and saw the Suspect do the deed. Chief says to get the Victims and witnesses back in and "sweat them" into telling the truth. When I start to protest, he makes this a direct order.

I get the Victims and witnesses back, their story is still the same, including all the various little details that are entirely too easy to screw up if you're trying to lie about something. I type the report up to be forwarded to the prosecutor for review.

I then talk to the Sgt. He has had various battles with the Chief in the past, mainly because the Sgt wants to do some things to raise morale, which is practically non-existant, and the Chief says no, he's the boss and what he says, goes, period, end of subject. Come to find out, after talking to the Sgt, the Chief had talked to the Sgt LAST FUCKING WEEK and has information regarding the case which he did not divulge to me, even though the Sgt urged him to do so since I am the investigating Officer. In addition, we started digging back through the Dispatch logs to discover the Suspect's soon-to-be father-in-law, as stated above a good friend of the Chief's, called the Station shortly after I finally contacted the Suspect to come in for a statement, as in less than 10 minutes after. This good friend, as also stated above, used to be a Sgt on our Department, so the Dispatcher gave him the Chief's cell number. Starting to make sense yet?

As best we could determine, the Chief's friend called him as soon as he found out that his soon-to-be son-in-law might be in trouble. The Chief shows up on station before I do and speaks to the Suspect before I do. The Chief then orders me, despite being adamant before that I find and charge the suspect, to not charge him and to "sweat" the Victims instead. Also, the Chief is withholding information that it turns out might just be vital to proving the case.

The Sgt is going to talk to the Chief tomorrow and see if he can talk him into letting me do my fucking job and take care of this mess. If he won't, we're going to look into filing Obstruction of Justice charges on the Chief. Per the Sgt, I have the case done and have forwarded it to the Asst Prosecutor and hope to  talk to him tomorrow before the Chief gets in to let him know what's going on. I will post updates if anyont is interested, especialy if I get fired for just trying to DO MY FUCKING JOB!!!!!

Bub
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes...politics rears its ugly head.  Hope you are civil service agency.  

Let us know how it works out and good luck.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
If you haven't already, start documenting all of this BS with the Chief.  Write yourself a report on everything that happens with it on a daily basis and MAIL IT TO YOURSELF.  Leave them unopened but locked away in a separate place.  Every little detail that you can recall, START NOW if you haven't already.

You may find them useful in the future.

Hold on, the ride could get bumpy.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you haven't already, start documenting all of this BS with the Chief.  Write yourself a report on everything that happens with it on a daily basis and MAIL IT TO YOURSELF.  Leave them unopened but locked away in a separate place.  Every little detail that you can recall, START NOW if you haven't already.

VJ

Email? My friend, I'm typing all this stuff up AT HOME, saving to floppy, printing it and, when I have enough, saving to CD! believe me, CYA is a MAJOR concern!!!

And, yes, we're civil service. Also, come to find out, City Council, the Mayor and the City Manager are all PISSED at the Chief. All call him a lazy, fat fuck (which he is) and, rumor has it, are just looking for a reason to fire him. Things are gonna get INTERESTING tomorrow, I think! Especially, when he orders me to drop the case, as I think he will, and I demand to have the order it IN WRITING!

Bub
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Small tape recorders.come in handy too....Some cell phones have a "recorder" function..Push button,walk in door..You wanted to see me boss?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

VJ

I totally agree

best of luck, keep us posted

I have a chief kinda like this, but would never step on the line yours is.  Ours maybe stupid, but he would never obstruct a case no matter who the person is.  Our chief is right up the town managers ass and does whateva he says.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn.  Let us know asap
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Shit like that is pretty common.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish you the best and hope you have a plan "B".
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Please keep us updated...

<popcorn... check>

I suppose if you wanted to be dirty about the deal you could "negotiate" the evidence with the Chief before you present it to the City...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:Email? My friend, I'm typing all this stuff up AT HOME, saving to floppy, printing it and, when I have enough, saving to CD! believe me, CYA is a MAJOR concern!!!
Bub

However you choose to do it.......snail mailing it to yourself will give you hard copy with a date stamp on it.

Best of luck with this, he sounds like a total choad.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
bub75

Several things come to mind all at once, I will try to prioritize them and stay serious and on task.

1)  I feel very strongly that credible law enforcement comes from sworn officers who do the right thing, regardless.  Slings and arrows come with the territory.

Thank you for doing that job.

2) Do not sacrifice your job for your superior's transgressions.  
If you must fall on your sword in defense of your unit, or your charges, then so be it.  This comes with the territory.

3) My red lights go off with accompanying sirens:  Your command structure is compromised.
They are in trouble.

And, unfortunately, you are in trouble.  A) From command, in the unlikely instance that they survive, or B) from review, as being part of "the problem."

4) Politics will inevitably confound the issues. You need luck and sage counsel.  

In other words,  keep your head up and watch your 6. You will most likely take some hits. Make sure that you stay on mission.

My advice, worth the free price, is to stick to the most honest course possible and to let others see that you are honest.  

Caesar's wife had to not only be innocent, but had to also be perceived as innocent.  

Or, to quote Andre Agassi, "Image is everything."  

I do not believe that image is everything, but you should be easily identified as one of the good guys with a white hat.

Find the most truly wise council that you can and explain the situation and ask their advice.  Then make your own decision.

This is not a bad time to seek cover and concealment behind a capable superior.  In our current system, this is how it works.   And yes, you should provide support for that superior.

We, in our society, truly need integrity in Law Enforcement.  You start as .civ, and return to .civ and I wish you the best.  Make your best decision and "best wishes and thanks."

Thank you for airing this.

Best of fortune to you.

Rick

Keep in mind that Chief is usually a political, rather than an enforcement, level appointment.  

I hope that this post is of some use to you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Have you thought of going to the mayor or city council. Similar things have happened around here and they usually trump a Chief. good luck.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#17]
everone knows someone in law enforcment.   If everyone used their connection NO police work would ever get done. period.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:10:26 AM EDT
[#18]
good luck i hope it works out well for you.  I wish i could do the same around here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Politics do suck.  Especially in this line of business.  But, if they city mngmnt is trying to get rid of your chief, they may really want to use this incident to do it.  Which means them trying to get you in the middle of all this.  My suggestion would be to talk to the prosecutor ASAP about the crim tress case.  Let him know what's going on and all of the other details.  Maybe even fill him in on some of the other political happenings.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like your Chief went to the same school as mine
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Simple, send the victim to see the Chief of Police for a case update.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#22]
 Are you sure your not in Denver Co?
D--m sounds like a rock and a hard
place.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#23]
tagola
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#24]
What a huge F-kn terd sandwhich. Man are you lucky the City Counsel hate his ass. A;read ysounds like you're documenting everything and sharing it with the appropriate people.

Good luck bud.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:02:12 PM EDT
[#25]
I found myself in a pickle like this once, but it was with a Captain, Lieutenant and Sergeant who were assclowns and ordered me and naother deputy to plant evidence + lie in a report.  I told them I would not do it and that I would call IA if they meade me.  They did; I did.  It all got squashed and I will forever regret not calling the State DOJ fr the FBI on those bastards.  I eventually left the agency after nothing happened to them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:21:08 PM EDT
[#26]
tag

And good luck.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:02:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Wouldnt the order to not charge the actor of the crime be illegal. A failure of justice?

Due to my non-giving a shit personality type, I  (I mean me ) would charge the turd any way. Fuck the Chief.    

Sorry for not helping but that type of order just pisses me off.  What an asshole.

Good luckhouldCan your Chief summarily fire you?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Good luck. Politics can be tough.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Not having read your case file, but does it look like you could send it up to the prosecuting attorney's office for review? I had a similar case this year except the complainants were FOC's (friend of chiel's) and got a lot of pressure from my then PC supervisor...but really did not have enough to pursue it...sent it up for review...still waiting on a decision...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#30]
All,

Sorry for the lack of updates but there's not much to update right now. I spoke to the Prosecutor on Monday morning, he hadn't had a chance to review the case yet and said, because of the workload at the Court, that he probably wouldn't until Wednesday (today), or Thursday. Gave him my home number for when he does review it, told him to call me at home. When I told him about the Chief's actions, his ears perked up and asked if I thought we should get THE Prosecutor (the head guy, no less!) involved in this. Told him to read the case and let me know, we'd go from there. I also told him that I'd need to talk to the Sgt before we started going any further with that end of it. He wasn't real happy but understood the need to cover my backside.

The Chief was in a meeting with the Enhanced 911 Committee in the County Seat all day Monday, then took Tuesday off for a Doctor's appointment, so no news from that end. I'm on my three days off (Wed, Thurs, Fri) so, unless I piss the guy of bad enough to call me in, there probably won't be any updates till at least Sat.

The Victims called me Monday for an update. Told them that case had been refered to the Prosecutor and I hadn't heard from him yet. I refrained from telling them about the political bullshit, told them the name of the Asst Prosecutor that's handling this and told them to call him if they wanted updates and that I would call them if I heard anything. I also strongly hinted that, if they are unsatisfied with the way this is being handled, they CAN go over the Chief's head and speak to one of the Council members or the Mayor again and, also, helpfully provided names and phone numbers. If this comes back on me, I always have his order not to file on the Suspect, which should help me aviod the worst of the shitstorm. I don't know if I said this earlier, the Dispatcher was in Dispatch when the Chief ordered me not to file, so the order was witnessed by someone else, which also helps.

I've been talking to the Sgt, who takes my side of this. He also STRONGLY dislikes this assclown of a Chief and wants to see him gone. He also knows more about Law Enforcement and the local politics than I could ever hope to know. Despite the fact that he's one of the "Us vs. Them", anti-gun types of Officers, he really is a pretty good guy. Also, he's the Sgt, which should help cover my butt since I'm going through the established chain of command.

As for getting disciplined, I highly doubt it would come to my being fired. My personell jacket is spotless and we have written policy that disciplinary action has to follow a "verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination" kind of deal. Even if it's found that I did something wrong, the most I should get out of it is an ass-reaming that's documented in my jacket. If it helps take down this POS, I'll take one for the team and smile, up to and including suspension. Even if it comes to termination, well, I was looking for a job when I found this one. There's not much in this area but, with my strong dislike of winters anymore, the South is looking better and better. I'd hate to have to start all over again, but if it comes to it, I'll do it.

That's about it for now. Further updates as they develop. Be careful, guys.

Bub
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#32]
tag!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

As for getting disciplined, I highly doubt it would come to my being fired. My personell jacket is spotless and we have written policy that disciplinary action has to follow a "verbal warning, written warning, suspension, termination" kind of deal. Even if it's found that I did something wrong, the most I should get out of it is an ass-reaming that's documented in my jacket. If it helps take down this POS, I'll take one for the team and smile, up to and including suspension. Even if it comes to termination, well, I was looking for a job when I found this one. There's not much in this area but, with my strong dislike of winters anymore, the South is looking better and better. I'd hate to have to start all over again, but if it comes to it, I'll do it.

That's about it for now. Further updates as they develop. Be careful, guys.

Bub

Hey Bub,

I hope it doesn't come to your being fired.  You are probably right, but sometimes the higher powers just see a problem and identify who is associated with that problem without being very discriminating about who is who.  

It is a good idea to do what you are doing and documenting very well.  If there is a reprimand or other discipline at least you can put a very clear letter into your file.  These can prove very useful.

Best Wishes,

Rick
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:51:06 PM EDT
[#34]
It's also a good idea not to air dirty laundry in an open Internet forum.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It's also a good idea not to air dirty laundry in an open Internet forum.

But it is fun to watch...[
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Is the crime worth breaking everyone's balls over?  Maybe the Chief doesn't perceive it to be.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:45:48 PM EDT
[#37]
sounds like you are doing the right thing

stay strong

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Tagged.  Hang in there man.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Small tape recorders.come in handy too....Some cell phones have a "recorder" function..Push button,walk in door..You wanted to see me boss?

+100!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, I talked to the Prosecutor today, and the verdict is........

It's a no-go. They refused to take the case. Well, I suppose it's more fair to say, they STRONGLY advised that it be dropped and no charges pursued against anyone.

The reasoning given was that, unbeknownst to me, they have had prior dealings with the Victims, and they have proven to be somewhat unreliable. With the way the Victims have been carrying on, I suppose this doesn't surprise me any, but I was really hoping for a show-down. It's a pity. When I interviewed the Suspect, he was lying through his teeth. I KNOW it and the Asst Prosecutor knows it but he feels he won't be able to adequately prove it in court. He said that, if I REALLY wanted to, he'd try and take care of it, but that, if I insisted it be brought up and it didn't go well, it would be MY credibility in Court that would take the hit, not his. My credibility is everything to me, so I guess I'm dropping it. After all, in this line of work, our credibility is EVERYTHING!

Also, since the case won't be pursued, they can't and won't do anything to the Chief. That doesn't mean all hope is lost. I have to notify the Victims of the Asst Prosecutor's decision tomorrow. I plan on telling them that, if they aren't satisfied, to call the Asst Prosecutor, their Councilpersons, the City Manager and the Chief It ought to be fun watching the Chief talk to all these people, especially when what he did comes to light! God knows they have driven me and everyone else involved with this case crazy, the Chief ought to get his fair share, too! And, who knows? They might just make a big enough stink with THE Prosecutor that it he might just let it go forward, just to give them their day in Court. We'll see but I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Sorry for the big build-up then the let-down, all. It didn't turn out as I'd hoped, but then again, what ever does? As always, thanks for the moral support. I appreciate it.

Bub
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Sometimes a win is a win...or rather an avoidance of a shitstorm is a BIG PLUS!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:51:37 PM EDT
[#42]
You did your job and did it correctly so that's all you need.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:55:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Glad to hear it ended without <figuratively>bloodshed</figuratively>.

Now that this thread/story is over, though, you may want to get it trashed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:46:40 AM EDT
[#44]
For you, this is the best outcome.   The ADA can take the hit for pass.  This dirtbag will slip up again and do something so agregeous that no one will be able to cover it up.  And I suspect you'll be standing near by to hook'em up!  As for your Chief, he too will slip up.  The dishonest always do.  His crash back to earth will be meteoric.  Please be sure to post pics!

Stay Safe,
Gary
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
For you, this is the best outcome.   The ADA can take the hit for pass.  This dirtbag will slip up again and do something so agregeous that no one will be able to cover it up.  And I suspect you'll be standing near by to hook'em up!  As for your Chief, he too will slip up.  The dishonest always do.  His crash back to earth will me meteoric.  Please be sure to post pics!

Stay Safe,
Gary

I agree wholeheartedly.  I was talking to a guy at work today (fairly new guy; about 6 mos of service) who had done everything he was supposed to, regarding reportage of vacation time taken.  It was over two months ago, and when he checked his balance online, he noticed he had more than he should have.  He called HR and told them that.  A co-worker overheard his conversation with HR and asked why he he would say anything if they didn't catch it.

He was having difficulty articulating his answer, and the two of us had already spoken about it, so I answered for him: "He doesn't even want to go down that road, because honesty is important to him.  Also the first time he does go down that road, the next time will be even harder to steer clear of."

She still didn't get it.    She is a lot like your Chief; a morally/ethically corrupt individual.  She is working on her Master's right now (same school and same course of study as my wife and I went through) and she is always asking for homework, etc.  She has already been "kind of" and "almost" in trouble for several different ethical lapses/breaches before, but one day she, too, will crash [the rest of the way] back to earth.

Oh, BTW.... we all work for the State of Texas and there's at least a chance that the "theft" of this time would ostensibly be a crime.  While they would probably never be able to PROVE he knew and all that, it's also kind of beside the point.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For you, this is the best outcome.   The ADA can take the hit for pass.  This dirtbag will slip up again and do something so agregeous that no one will be able to cover it up.  And I suspect you'll be standing near by to hook'em up!  As for your Chief, he too will slip up.  The dishonest always do.  His crash back to earth will me meteoric.  Please be sure to post pics!

Stay Safe,
Gary

I agree wholeheartedly.  I was talking to a guy at work today (fairly new guy; about 6 mos of service) who had done everything he was supposed to, regarding reportage of vacation time taken.  It was over two months ago, and when he checked his balance online, he noticed he had more than he should have.  He called HR and told them that.  A co-worker overheard his conversation with HR and asked why he he would say anything if they didn't catch it.

He was having difficulty articulating his answer, and the two of us had already spoken about it, so I answered for him: "He doesn't even want to go down that road, because honesty is important to him.  Also the first time he does go down that road, the next time will be even harder to steer clear of."

She still didn't get it.    She is a lot like your Chief; a morally/ethically corrupt individual.  She is working on her Master's right now (same school and same course of study as my wife and I went through) and she is always asking for homework, etc.  She has already been "kind of" and "almost" in trouble for several different ethical lapses/breaches before, but one day she, too, will crash [the rest of the way] back to earth.

Oh, BTW.... we all work for the State of Texas and there's at least a chance that the "theft" of this time would ostensibly be a crime.  While they would probably never be able to PROVE he knew and all that, it's also kind of beside the point.

I know exactly what you mean. We work mostly 4-10 hour shifts, although there is one shift that is 5-8's. I've been on 4-10's for the better part of 2 years. Somehow, earlier this year on my anniversary date, I somehow got switched in the payroll computer at the Admin building to 8 hour shifts. Therefore, when I take a vacation or sick day, instead of deducting 10 hours from my balance, it deducts 8 hours (the Admin just deducts days unless you take an odd amount of hours, they say it's easier and quicker for them). I ended up with something like 16 extra vacation hours this year and it took forever until the Admin pukes finally figured it out. It kept showing up on my pay stubs that I had 16 remaining vacation hours when, in reality, I had none. All the guys I work with thought I was incredibly stupid for bringing it to the Admin's attention, even after I pointed out that I'd be the one busted if I took that 16 hours. They kept saying I should just take it, that it was Admin's screw-up, not mine. I just don't get it, there seem to be very few anymore that have any integrity.

As for the Chief, as I pointed out above, the City Council, City Manager and the Admin all have a hard-on or this guy and can't wait for a reason to get rid on him. I honestly thing the only reason they haven't is that he has threatened a lawsuit if he's fired. I was honestly hoping this could be the reason, but alas, it isn't to be. Oh, well, he'll screw up bad some day, hopefully soon, then he'll be gone. I, for one, can't wait!

Bub
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Good on you for doin' right.  Sad commentary on the rest of the world that we actually have to (or need to) pat someone on the back for JUST doing the right thing, but I guess them're the breaks (especially nowadays).

I don't know you from Adam in real life, but you sound like a real credit to the badge.  Thank you for your service.  Keep up the good work and please do everything you can to stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top