Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/4/2001 11:52:07 PM EDT
Can any owners of both provide any info?I would like to own one of these some day.Would you trust your life with an M96?Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:00:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

I also heard they are kinda expensive($1,300).
That's high for a post ban 5.56!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like a nice gun but when you consider the cost is it worth it?
I bought two Bushmasters around $700 each and I think they were the smartest purchases I made as far as guns.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]
M96....M96...hmm, I can't place it.  Who makes it? Anyone got a pic or a link to site with it?  It sounds familiar, and I'm sure once I see it I'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Is it the AR15 look-a-like that doesn't show a recoil spring tube?

Bill
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If I remember right Soldier of Fortune did a review. In it they talked how it has less locking lugs(I think it had 2). That increases reliability but hinders accurancy a bit. Has an superior operating system to the ar in my opinion but not as accurate.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I remember right Soldier of Fortune did a review. In it they talked how it has less locking lugs(I think it had 2). That increases reliability but hinders accurancy a bit. Has an superior operating system to the ar in my opinion but not as accurate.
View Quote

Two locking lugs?  Use your head, it is a Stoner design.  It is a great rifle.  Mine shoots great, no jams 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Two locking lugs?  Use your head, it is a Stoner design.  It is a great rifle.  Mine shoots great, no jams 100% reliable.
View Quote

I like thaat two locking lugs. I agree with you , its 100% reliable. Its not to exspensive though, just they cant afford it.
GG
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I like thaat two locking lugs. I agree with you , its 100% reliable. Its not to exspensive though, just they cant afford it.
GG
View Quote

Thanks,

It is still cheaper than a SIG 550
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:19:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks,

View Quote

But not as good.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I think they're more reliable than an AR. basically, you've got the mass of the piston and bolt moving around, which encourages reliable extraction compared to the AR's gas operated bolt. And you've got the gas regulator.

They're more complex to take down than an AR; I wouldn't want to do it in a ditch at 0400 in the rain. it has a few less gizmos available on the aftermarket if you're one of those who like to tart up your rifle, but now that they've got the sight rail available that's less of an issue. The build quality on those I've seen is very good, and the trigger is very nice. There's the possibility of new accessories for the rifle, including a shorter barrel and the Bren Gun configuration. the bren gun stuff doesn't do anything for me. A belt feed option would rock, though.

I think the main attraction is that it's not an AR--it's something that everyone else in the universe doesn't have.

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Raf,what I'm looking at is this rifle.I already have two ARs that fits my needs and I don't need/want another.I heard there are plans to amke the M96 in 7.62 NATO,I may just waite for that.I don't know yet,just wanted to here from those who have both rifles before I start dropping cash down on one.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

View Quote

But not as good.
View Quote

Having shot both, I prefer the M-96.  The SIG is good, but not that good.  In the absence of reliability data, I can only take your word for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Raf,what I'm looking at is this rifle.I already have two ARs that fits my needs and I don't need/want another.I heard there are plans to amke the M96 in 7.62 NATO,I may just waite for that.I don't know yet,just wanted to here from those who have both rifles before I start dropping cash down on one.
View Quote

If you can afford one get one.  They are a must have for your collection.  I like AR’s, I just picked up an ArmaLite NM at Camp Perry.  (Excellent attention to detail).   I also have an AR-180B on order to fill out my Stoner inspired collection.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#16]
[url]www.robarm.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I've handled the M96. It's a good rifle. Better than the AR... no... Though if you want something different go for it. I am more interested in the AR-180. Which in my consideration is what the mini-14 should of been.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

GG
View Quote
Oh, we can afford it, but why spend $1499 on a postban rifle when you can get a preban, or [b]TWO AR180B's.[/b]  Same piston gas system and [b]much lighter[/b].  Some don't like the sights on the 180, but I have heard the the M96 sights aren't very good either.

[img]http://www.robarm.com/m96_rifle_on_white.jpg[/img]

or this for less than half the money:

[img]http://www.armalite.com/shared/images/rifles/ar180/wholeRifle.jpg[/img]

Decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Hell, you can get a real preban AR180 for less than the price of a M96.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

GG
View Quote
Oh, we can afford it, but why spend $1499 on a postban rifle when you can get a preban, or [b]TWO AR180B's.[/b]  Same piston gas system and [b]much lighter[/b].  Some don't like the sights on the 180, but I have heard the the M96 sights aren't very good either.

[img]http://www.robarm.com/m96_rifle_on_white.jpg[/img]

or this for less than half the money:

[img]http://www.armalite.com/shared/images/rifles/ar180/wholeRifle.jpg[/img]

Decide for yourself.
View Quote

I have a M-96 and I have an AR-180B on order.  I say get both!
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
YEP!  Very light, very accurate, very reliable rifle, as is, hopefully, the 180B.  I believe it will be and have ordered one to go with my 3 originals.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 2:29:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
YEP!  Very light, very accurate, very reliable rifle, as is, hopefully, the 180B.  I believe it will be and have ordered one to go with my 3 originals.
View Quote

ArmaLite had an AR-180B at Camp Perry.  It looks awesome.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Got to shoot a yuppies M96 carbine at the range 2 weeks ago. This was the first chance that I have had to shoot one. Overall unimpressed, Fit a finish were nice but the thing has way to many sharp corners and nasty petruding parts that would really hurt if you tripped and landed on it. I didn't like the safety which seemed a little hard to use  Also was rather finicky with GI mags, It did have a really sweet trigger though but still for a lot less than $ 1350 +  you can get a preban AR-180 which I think is a better gun then the M 96.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
but the thing has way to many sharp corners and nasty petruding parts that would really hurt if you tripped and landed on it.
View Quote

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?  From the time I was a boy through my stint in the Army to now, I have never seen anyone trip and fall on a rifle.  What do you suggest?  Cover it with Nerf?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm no economics expert but I bet they would sell alot more M96's if they priced them around $500.
Face it,  It's made of stamped sheetmetal and plastic.
I'd like to have one, but to me they're not worth the money.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm no economics expert but I bet they would sell alot more M96's if they priced them around $500.
Face it,  It's made of stamped sheetmetal and plastic.
I'd like to have one, but to me they're not worth the money.
View Quote

So would Colt, Bushmaster etc (sell more rifles). The M-96 is welded SS and labor intensive to make.  As far as plastic and sheet metal, look at the price of an HK in any caliber.  It is a good rifle and a worthy addition to any collection.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#27]
O.K. here's a few ?s for you experts out there(No Disrespect Intended).
1.Is'nt the M96 a Stoner 63?
2.Does'nt A'lite have the rights to this design?
3.If the M96 differs from the 63,how so?
4.Robarms is'nt the only co. holding the rights to the 62/96 are they?
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
O.K. here's a few ?s for you experts out there(No Disrespect Intended).
1.Is'nt the M96 a Stoner 63?
2.Does'nt A'lite have the rights to this design?
3.If the M96 differs from the 63,how so?
4.Robarms is'nt the only co. holding the rights to the 62/96 are they?
View Quote

1.  It is an interpretation of the 63.
2.  No.  The Stoner 63 was developed at Cadillac Gage.
3.  Go to Robinson's web site.
4.  It is not a direct copy of the Stoner 63.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#29]
O.K. I was aware the 63 was developed by Mr.Stoner when he was working for Cadillac Gage,but who owns the right to the 63?Isn't Cadillac Gage now defunct?I'm sure some one could produce this rifleand sell it at a much lower cost than RobArms.
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
O.K. I was aware the 63 was developed by Mr.Stoner when he was working for Cadillac Gage,but who owns the right to the 63?Isn't Cadillac Gage now defunct?I'm sure some one could produce this rifleand sell it at a much lower cost than RobArms.
View Quote

[url]www.flash.net/~scfische/stoner/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I really enjoy mine.  It's a nice addition to a collection of .223's.  Here's a review I did soon after getting mine...

I just received my new Robinson Armamant M96 today. Let me say from the beginning, I like it alot. It also helps that I got a screaming deal on it too:-)

First, the overall construction was excellent. The welds looked great and the finish was evenly applied on the gun. The fit was very snug, but from what I understand, it will loosen up to the point of being able to push the pins out by finger/bullet tip.

With open sights, I was able to group about 1.5 moa. At 100 meters, my best 5 shot group was .75" and worst was 2.5". Overall, it would just make a large hole about 3" where 30 rounds would just fly through.

I haven't put a scope on it yet, but will likely do so in the future. Has anyone scoped theirs and what was your group?

I fed the M96 three types of ammo, without a problem. My home loads, Winchester, and IMI surplus.

I was very happy with the results of my new rifle. I know some feel it is cost prohibitive and compare it to a pre-ban AR-15. They do run around the same amount, but they are totally different guns. I really feel you get what you pay for on this rifle.

There were a couple of weak points. The butt stock does "feel" a little weak. I'm sure it will hold up for more than my life time, but the plastic wasn't anywhere as thick as the AR's. The rear sight would be nice in a A2 configuration. Not a huge concern, but it will take some getting used to. Also, the barrel isn't chrome lined. To some this is a neg., but not too big of a deal for me. If I wear it out, then I'll get another...

I striped and cleaned the rifle before shooting. It was very familiar, yet very different from the AR's. It seemed like there was a blend of many rifles.

1. FAL- lower receiver, controls, charging handle, and adj. gas system.
2. HK- Upper receiver was stamped and welded, used similar push pins.
3. AK- gas piston was attached to bolt carrier.
4. AR- similar bolt, similar trigger group, and AR-15 mags.
5. Styer AUG- removable barrel.

Like I said, these are my first impressions. Overall I am very satisfied with this product. It seems to offer many good and proven designs incorporated into one product.

I would like to hear other's experiences with this rifle.

fuatos

I will happily store this in the safe with my beloved AR-15's. I think they can all get along!!!

Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
QCMGR
You have never stumbled with a rifle in your hand ? To me the sight/scope mount things look like they would hurt ! For the $$ they wan't for the thing they could have at least rounded the corners on the blockish frontsight/gas block. In my opinion this rifle doesn't do anything more than good AR15 or AR-180\B would do for a lot less money. My .02
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 9:21:44 PM EDT
[#33]
ok, lets throw in the much rumored and still to be produced M96 belt fed rifle. assume its the same price (yah right, but for conversation). 1300$ for a post ban belt fed gun
Link Posted: 8/5/2001 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Robinson M96?
Seen and handled it at gun show.
Price is enough to make me stop cold in my tracks.
Nice gun of course and I appreciate Robarm's contribution.
For the price of this gun I can get a new DSA FAL in .308 (.308!)---the best current production FAL bar none.
Hell no, M96!!

Can't afford it?
Of course I can---if only I wanted it. I don't want it b/c it simply isn't worth the money when I can get a much bigger and capable weapon. Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Next!

Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#35]
I wrote Robinson Arms about a possible 7.62 version, and they said get a VEPR.  Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 7:51:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I shot the M96(I can't buy one because it is banned in CA), I personally thought it was pretty good. There was a review on it in the NRA's American Rifleman magazine.  It was fairly accurate.  I keyed the whole article in a previous thread on AR15.com.  If you can find it check it out.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
but the thing has way to many sharp corners and nasty petruding parts that would really hurt if you tripped and landed on it.
View Quote

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?  From the time I was a boy through my stint in the Army to now, I have never seen anyone trip and fall on a rifle.  What do you suggest?  Cover it with Nerf?
View Quote

I don't think he meant it literaly.

Certainly, you want to minimize sharp edges and "catch-alls" on your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
A superb .223 rifle that takes AR mags?  I recommend the Daewoo DR200.  Combines the best of the AR, AK and FAL into a nice little package.  In fact I have one for sale on the sale board. (Shameless Plug.)  

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-11.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Derek45, I was thinking the same thing myself. Stamping is cheaper regardless of stainless or not, just a fact. As far as it having only 2 lugs. I beleive it is MISSING 2 lugs compared to an AR. Not HAS 2 lugs. The 2 lugs on either side of the extractor are larger and take up more space hence less # of lugs. I think HKs are more expensive cause they are imported and they have a big "HK" on the side. Not that they aren't super guns but they don't cost THAT much to make (just like an M96). Can I afford an M96? Yes. Will I buy one at that price? No.
Link Posted: 8/6/2001 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Another rifle to concider would be the FN FNC.  It has a lot of nice features too.  Choices are great!!!  I like having a number of different type of rifles in the Assault style.  

I would say, if you like the features,looks, and want to pay the money for a quality rifle, then do it.  If you don't, then don't.

fuatos
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would say, if you like the features,looks, and want to pay the money for a quality rifle, then do it.  If you don't, then don't.

fuatos
View Quote
Or you could pay twice as much for something whose quality is, at best, no better than most AR15's and certainly the AR180B.  I pay for quality, but not twice as much for something that is very unproven, except in the minds of a few.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 7:01:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A superb .223 rifle that takes AR mags?  I recommend the Daewoo DR200.  Combines the best of the AR, AK and FAL into a nice little package.  In fact I have one for sale on the sale board. (Shameless Plug.)  

[img]http://www.riflestocks.com/assets/images/010129-11.jpg[/img]
View Quote

HEY!!!!!!!! That's MY rifle you pictured there!!!!!!

A few comments, if I may.

Yes, the Daewoo is a great alternative.

I also think I'd get the AR180 before I'd get an M96.

Belt fed is a neat gadgetry type thing. So is Bren Config. I'm not into gadgets. And a $1,400 rifle should have BETTER THAN A1 sights.

Supposedly, the M96 is designed (along with the above mentioned gadgets) to provide cover fire. In talking with RobArms PERSONALLY, it seems as if they are trying to market this to military applications. Right now, individual buyers are the ONLY people who want to buy it. Personally, I don't have the need to provide covering fire very often. I DO feel the need for accuracy. Presently, other manufacturers produce more accurate rifles at MUCH lower prices. Guess where my money will go.

Lastly, the buttstock of the M96 is criminal. It looks so flimsy I think recoil alone will break it after a couple hundred rounds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't know how many countries would buy a $1300 rifle for their troops,I'm sure RobArms would lower the price for a bulk deal like that.You would think since individuals are the one purchasing the rifleand thus supporting the company,they would lower the price on the thing.I would buy the M96 if it were in the AR's price range,maybe even a little higher but $1300 NO WAY!Damn I'd love to have it though.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless you are building a benchrest rifle the M96 kicks AR-15 butt.  My buddy bought one and is absolutley sold.  The gas system is more reliable a post-AR-15 Stoner touch.  The gas system is adjustable.  The barrel is quickly removeable.  It takes AR-15 mags.  The buttstock is hardy and if broken does not render the rifle inoperative.  The charging handle is operated on the side allowing the rifle to remain down range with the right hand on the grip and the cheek near the stock during mag changes.  It is stainless steel for the most part and a picatinny rail about 14" long is available to mount to the lugs along the top of the receiver.  I really don't understand the attitude on this board against it.. um here at um.. AR-15.com ... um... nevermind.  Bet it makes a great boat anchor.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn thing looks like an AR and an AK had a baby!

NO! one will ever talk me out of my Ar and 1911a1, there are a lot of fine guns out there but ARs but to some people an AR is no just a gun.

Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Planerench,it's the PRICE man the PRICE!I have nothing against the rifle at all,quite the opposite.It appears to be a superior design but it's out of it's price range.After all it is a U.S. made,POSTBAN,5.56 cal and it is priced at $1300PLUS!I can afford it but I could'nt live with myself for paying that much for it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Lets see, if I was in the US, for 1400$ I could either get:
A) a G3 with US receiver with accesories
B) Preban AR15 with accesories
C) a FAL with with tons of mags and accesories
D) a preban HK91
E) preban FNC
F) alot of other battle proven designed postbans with enough accesories to take over Canada
G) a M96
Question: Unless you own everything from A) to F) Why buy one?
Answer: YOUR FUCKING DUMB
Here are some pics of a Canadian'ized M96
[url]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=242458&a=2201919&f=0&sp=1&showall=true[/url]
unfortunetly that would be illegal to do stateside
BTW robarm doesnt even chrome line the barrel, for that price they are FUCKING stupid.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#49]
OOOOH..Scarecrow tah thing is sharp,do you know what kind of folding stock that's on there? It looks like a Daewoo type.
Link Posted: 8/7/2001 1:54:15 PM EDT
[#50]
It is a modified Daewoo, but I think in the US that kind of config would get you some prison time. Here in Canada the M96 is the only real option to a AR15 and it doesnt have some of the legal restrictions that the AR15 does, but Here a AR15 goes for 1500$ and the M96 goes for 2400$, essentially us cunnucks pay the extra 900$ just so we can legally hunt with the rifle where we cannot with the AR15.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top