Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 9:04:55 AM EST
I heard someplace that a bayonet on an AR15/m4 isn't really a good idea-the rifle is not able to handle the force involved with a bayonet, and simple isn't large enough.

Any rebuttals?

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:22:54 AM EST
The M4 has a 14.5" barrel. This length puts the front site base at the right spot so a bayonet will properly attach.

Because of the 1934 Gun Control Act rifles must have a minimum barrel lenght of 16", unless you get a tax stamp for a shorter lenght. This extra 1.5" makes all the difference in mounting a bayonet. The bayo's ring will slip past the flash suppressor and flop around on the skinnier barrel. Not an ideal situation.

So, the military gets a decent bayonet mount and civilians don't. Unless they take steps to correct it. But the mount should be as strong as with a 20" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:26:39 AM EST
I think there was some concern that the front part of the 203 cut out was a weak point.
Since it was cut at a 90 degree angle, it might be a focal point for shearning of the
barrel if enough force was applied.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:30:17 AM EST
Well, what I am really worried about is if I skewer a bad guy with a bayonet-say your average Camel jock waving an AKM, whether or not my rifle will break, or the mount will snap.

Ben
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:33:55 AM EST
After skewering someone, I'd recheck your zero.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:36:24 AM EST
If it came down to the point where all I had left was a bayonet to defend myself I don't think I would care about the consequences to my rifle. Does anyone know when the last time a bayonet was used by anyone in the US military for combat? Even the Guatemalen (I think it was) used a jack knife instead of a bayonet to wound or kill the Irqis when they were surrounded a week or so ago.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:42:28 PM EST
A Brit used one in the Faulkland Islands, which was 82 or 83? That was the last time a 1st world nation solider used one.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:57:36 PM EST
Nice to have the option, I guess. Even as a Marine or Soldier you may never need one but if you do....
Besides, they really piss off the anti's. That's enough to make me want one. I plan to use it if I ever hold up a liquor store

As for bbl length, it does have to be 16" but you can get this with a perm affixed flash suppressor on a 14.5" bbl which will accomodate a bayo just fine. Bushie sells these or you can have someone affix for you. I doubt you will have to worry much about bending or breaking a bbl. What are you planning on sticking it into??
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:02:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/7/2004 2:04:02 PM EST by LARRYG]
The ArmaLite M15 carbines will be able to accept a bayonet, once the ban expires, because of their longer handguards. I had an SOF upper built preban style to use on one of my preban lowers until the ban expires, then it gets a new lower.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:04:57 PM EST

Originally Posted By drjarhead:
Nice to have the option, I guess. Even as a Marine or Soldier you may never need one but if you do....
Besides, they really piss off the anti's. That's enough to make me want one. I plan to use it if I ever hold up a liquor store

As for bbl length, it does have to be 16" but you can get this with a perm affixed flash suppressor on a 14.5" bbl which will accomodate a bayo just fine. Bushie sells these or you can have someone affix for you. I doubt you will have to worry much about bending or breaking a bbl. What are you planning on sticking it into??

Easier yet, get the ArmaLite carbine with the mid-length handguards.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:05:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bumblebee_Bob:
The M4 has a 14.5" barrel. This length puts the front site base at the right spot so a bayonet will properly attach.

Because of the 1934 Gun Control Act rifles must have a minimum barrel lenght of 16", unless you get a tax stamp for a shorter lenght. This extra 1.5" makes all the difference in mounting a bayonet. The bayo's ring will slip past the flash suppressor and flop around on the skinnier barrel. Not an ideal situation.

So, the military gets a decent bayonet mount and civilians don't. Unless they take steps to correct it. But the mount should be as strong as with a 20" barrel.

See above posts. Someone did take steps to correct it.
Top Top