Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2004 11:08:37 AM EDT
I've got the bug again to order another C&R rifle. I've got a real nice Swiss K-31 but I'd like to get something that I can shoot cheap ammo in. Both 8mm and 7.62x54R are dirt cheap right now but I can't make up my mind as to which rifle I'd like to get.  I've owned both the Yugo M48a and 91/30 Mosin before and sold them off to buy other guns, now I'd like to get back into one of the two.  I can get a like new M48a for around $110.00, the 91/30 w/octagonal receiver will set me back $80 so there's not that much of a price difference. Ammo is about the same price too, of course it'll be corossive primed but that's not really that big of a deal if you clean your gun right. Given the two choices, which one would ya'll pick and why. Thanks for helping me make up my darn mind.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. I just went through the same decision.  I went with the M48 because of the workmanship, condition, and the ergonomics.  It just "fits" better for me.  I don't know - the MN just feels like shouldering an old musket for some reason.  Perceived recoil is better for me as well with the M48.

I want it for a brush gun - I'm using my K31 with a scout mount scope to hunt with now.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Based on your questions, you are not a collector, but an interested shooter, so forget about the small stuff, like octagonal vs round, or high wall vs low wall, etc...  Buy PURELY on condition.  There are refurbed 91/30s on the market that are like new, and many M48s are unissued.  DO NOT TOLERATE A WORN OR PITTED BORE!

The 91/30 has better sights, but the Mosin action is a bit clunky, and this is made worse by a low leverage handle.  Note that the Mosin Nagant action was designed in such a fashion to avoid infringing on any patent issues.  The M48 has a much smoother action, but it has the horrible mauser barleycorn (triangle) front sight.  The Yugo will show better finishing craftsmanship.

It will really be a personal decision because they are both effective pieces.  I suspect you'll end up with an M48 because it's more of what US shooters are used to.  My only real advice is to make sure the bolt head and bore ARE NOT CORRODED.  If they are, the pits will give fouling a nice place to hide, and this is not what you want with corrosive ammo.

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Get both
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
There in lies the problem, I've only got enough to get one or the other. Like I said, I've owned both in the past and had to sell em' off. I liked both but just can't make up my mind.  I can get 3360rnds of 8mm for $126.00 from the ammunitionstore.com or 800 rnds of 7.62x54R from the same place for $60.00.  Looks like the 8mm is a better deal but either way neither round is all that expensive. Right now I'm leaning toward the M48a.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the m48. Hard to beat a mauser action they just feel right. With the price of 8mm so low you should be able to shoot till your shoulder falls off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT for the night shift.
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Personally, I'd probably go with the Mauser. 8mm brass and components are alot easier to come by than for the
7.62x54mm.

(Unless there's been a flood of cheap brass here lately, I just about had a seizure when I'd looked
into some of the 7.62x54mm items for reloading.)

Ammo seems to be on par, as far as surplus, and since they're both corrosive, it's a tossup if you don't reload.

Just my few cents worth.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top