Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/21/2002 3:15:54 AM EDT
I have a customer who claims his father, who is an ex cop, has an M2 carbine that will be his someday. It is not registered. He says he plans to get his license and then will register the rifle when he take possession. I said I didn't think he could ever register the M2 and be able to keep it. Who is right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe deadline for registering this weapon has long since past, suggest [b]don't ask, don't tell[/b] policy best for this situation.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:26:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Believe deadline for registering this weapon has long since past, suggest [b]don't ask, don't tell[/b] policy best for this situation.

Mike
View Quote

This is NOT good advice (although I suspect Mike is joking).  If the MG is not registered and your client possesses it, he/she is committing a felony regardless of who he/she "does not ask" nor who he/she "does not tell" about it.  There is a lot of talk about another amnesty, but until then, your gut instinct was correct.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It can easily be taken back to M1 with a trigger group change and t'group front retaining pin. The 'other' parts you can sell off or 'archive'. There are loads of M1's sitting in M2 stocks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's an M2 carbine, it can't be converted back to an M1 carbine. It's an M2 receiver and never was an M1. As ATF says, "Once a machine gun, always a machine gun."
Link Posted: 7/5/2002 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
EOD guy is abolutely right, IF THE RECIEVER IS MARKED "M2".  On the other hand,  if the gun is marked "M1', and it's had M2 parts installed, which seems to be the case with most of these pieces, then removal and disposal of the selactor and it's spring, the automatic disconnctor, the sear trip,and the hammer;  and replacement of the hammer with an M1 type, wil relegalize the piece.

The other M2 parts, stock, operating slide, bolt, and sear are considered joint use parts, and can be retained. The prohibited parts HAVE TO be disposed of. Trash cans work well for this [:D].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top