Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:34:48 PM EDT
So I just found out from a buddy of mine that the M203 is legal for civilian use in NY only if it is 37mm? ? ? Why cant a person just buy the 37mm and buy the 40mm parts kit and sleeve and convert them using the 37mm receiver? ? ? Did NY think of that? ? ? Or cant you do that? ? ?

or a paintball M203 and add the real parts?

No offense to anyone but I disagree with NYS laws why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous, and if you can convert it really that easily what is NY thinking?

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it... EDIT
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

So I just found out from a buddy of mine that the M203 is legal for civilian use in NY only if it is 37mm? ? ? Why cant a person just buy the 37mm and buy the 40mm parts kit and sleeve and convert them using the 37mm receiver? ? ? Did NY think of that? ? ? Or cant you do that? ? ?

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it is legal or smart.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Randy Shivak of course

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Civvie 37mm M203's are not designed for the higher pressure of the military grade 40mm projectiles.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
See you in jail.  Know your laws before saying what you just said...
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

wrong. A M203 with a 37 mm is a regular firearm according to the ATF as long as you do not use antipersonnel rounds.  The M203 receiver is a title I firearm as long as it does not have the 40mm barrel.  Randy Shivak has been making 37mm Kits for the M203 and M79 for years.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#6]
yes the 37mm Flare launcher is legal in NYS. It is only legal because only flares are made in 37mm at this time, there are no boom rounds in 37mm, so its only a flare launcher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Just so you know, a M-203 is a MILITARY designation for a 40mm ONLY launcher.

No such fucking thing as a real M-203 in 37mm. They can CALL it that, maybe, but it really isn't.

40mm is rifled, the 37mm isn't.

Argue if you wish, but 22 years of military service, where I actually work on the guns, will prove you wrong.

Please get your facts straight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
No offense to anyone but I disagree with NYS laws why would anyone be legally able to own a grenade launcher not in the military it sounds dangerous, and if you can convert it really that easily what is NY thinking?

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it...
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wrong. A M203 with a 37 mm is a regular firearm according to the ATF as long as you do not use antipersonnel rounds.  The M203 receiver is a title I firearm as long as it does not have the 40mm barrel.  Randy Shivak has been making 37mm Kits for the M203 and M79 for years.

What I do not understand is how are those under barrel launchers not considered SBRs once you attach then to a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it...

Fun times ahead.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What I do not understand is how are those under barrel launchers not considered SBRs once you attach then to a rifle.

On that one I am not certain but I think the barrels are not quite as short as they would be on the regular launchers. If you look at the photos on the website I think they are 16 inches.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Without touching the first part of what you just said (others will tear you a new one for it so I will just save that for them) it matters not. Just because you have a 40mm launcher does not mean you have HE rounds for it. Which BTW nobody will sell then to you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:46:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they be? its just a flare launcher, not a firearm. Since it isn't a firearm it can't be controlled under the NFA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Slight thread hijack.

Why did the U.S. go with a separate grenade launcher attachment rather than rifle grenades like the most everybody else?

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

No such fucking thing as a real M-203 in 37mm. They can CALL it that, maybe, but it really isn't.

Argue if you wish, but 22 years of military service, where I actually work on the guns, will prove you wrong.

You sir are wrong.  You can indeed buy a M203 receiver and place a 37mm barrel on it.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is not rifled.

I assume that is why they don't sell the 12ga. or multi-shot 22.lr adapters in 37mm, because that not only turns them into a firearm but an SBS as well.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

*sigh*

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On that one I am not certain but I think the barrels are not quite as short as they would be on the regular launchers. If you look at the photos on the website I think they are 16 inches.  

Now that you mention it I do recall seeing one of those launchers in person once and thinking it looked a little long.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they be? its just a flare launcher, not a firearm. Since it isn't a firearm it can't be controlled under the NFA.

Because they are capable of becoming a DD. Most of the "flare launchers" like the RPB and the Spikes can not handle the pressures that a M203 or M79 operate at

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Grenade launchers are all kinds of fun for we civie types.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The barrel is not rifled.

Randy's barrels are rifled IIRC

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thank you!  The 37mm launcher is not an M203.  I don't understand the infatuation with these things.  Gee, you can launch flares from your rifle.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't y'all just love it when them pesky BATFE guys show up with fun questions
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Stop all the retardation right now! NOW!!!!

37mm flare launchers are signaling devices, NOT FIREARMS.   They are built to shoot flares, and smoke markers.  They are NO DIFFERENT than the flare launchers you can get at a boating store, just cooler looking.

If you have a 37mm launcher, and ALSO have possession of a 37mm round intended to be fired at, or harm people (I.E.  load a round with flechette) then it is a DESTRUCTIVE DEVICE and has to be serialized, and the form 4/ tax stamp.

40mm launchers are DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES. (NFA item) that means tax stamp and all that goodness, even if you do not have rounds for it.

For all the "oh but couldn't you convert it crowd"  

10 years in jail, $200k fine.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, well no shit. Here's some more useless trivia, not all commercial M14 clones are M1A's. Colt is the only manufacturer of AR15 rifles

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you!  The 37mm launcher is not an M203.  I don't understand the infatuation with these things.  Gee, you can launch flares from your rifle.  

or smoke , or CS , or rubber crowd rounds , or flash bangs for bird control , and other things I'm sure.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
my point was its dangerous if you could easily buy a 37mm under barrel "flare" launcher for your weapon and convert it without a paper trail to a M203 (Putting a riffled real 203 barrel, and all the parts like the firing pin and etc in it...)

Or can you not do that (successfully convert it) I would feel a lot better if you couldnt.

and the fact that it is highly illegal still doesn't matter if you could do it or not because i am sure if it could be done ppl would do it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

In a pure sence you are correct.

But many firearms keep the same designation even though they exist in differant calibers.

M1 Garand in .30-06 and .308.

M1919A4 in .30-06 and .308

M-4 in 5.56 and 6.8

etc.

But in a pure sence these are not true M203s or M-79s

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
my point was its dangerous if you could easily buy a 37mm under barrel "flare" launcher for your weapon and convert it without a paper trail to a M203 (Putting a riffled real 203 barrel, and all the parts like the firing pin and etc in it...)

Or can you not do that (successfully convert it) I would feel a lot better if you couldnt.

and the fact that it is highly illegal still doesn't matter if you could do it or not because i am sure if it could be done ppl would do it.

Jesus you think way to much.

Have you looked into what it takes to acquire a 40mm grenade?  Legally it takes a long time and is expensive, illegally there just isn't that many out there.

Why don't you look into finding ammo to feed it before losing anymore sleep.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Sarah, is that you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Read more, post less.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Comparing the M203 40mm to the civilian 37mm is like comparing the M16A2 to an AR15A2.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't think you fully get it.

Yes, I suppose if you had enough machining/engineering knowledge, it would be possible to convert a 37mm launcher to 40mm.  It would also be possible to machine yourself a full auto trigger group for  your AR and drill an extra hole in your reciever.  Both of these things would also be very illegal (the reason most of us don't do it), and it would be even dumber to convert a 37mm launcher to 40mm than it would be to convert an AR to full auto illegally.  After all, what good is a 40mm grenade launcher when the grenades are also DD's?  

If you can legally get your hands on a 40mm grenade, then you can legally buy a M203, and there is no reason to illegally convert one.  If you can illegally get your hands on a 40mm grenade, then you can probably also get your hands on an M203 anyway.

The OP is so full of fail on so many levels, I don't even know why I am responding to this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Fuckin' ATF trolling for victims.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#35]
What I want to know is, can you get a 37mm M203/M79 copy that looks and mounts like the real deal; but falls under the same laws as the Cobray and Spikes 37mm launchers so you don't have to get a Form 1?
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:22:26 PM EDT
[#36]
out of
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

i mean I love my ARs but why a 37mm capable of being converted to a 40mm? I wonder how many people have done it... EDIT

Why an semi auto AR capable of being converted into full auto? I wonder how many people have done it....

I cant believe they let us have them...

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What I want to know is, can you get a 37mm M203/M79 copy that looks and mounts like the real deal; but falls under the same laws as the Cobray and Spikes 37mm launchers so you don't have to get a Form 1?

Randy Shivak makes a 37mm barrel that slips under the original M203 receiver (which in istelf costs $3000) to make it a title 1 weapon; he also makes a barrel for the M79 that makes the weapon also a TItle 1; once you slip the 40mm barrel on, then the weapon becomes a DD.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why an semi auto AR capable of being converted into full auto? I wonder how many people have done it....

I cant believe they let us have them...

"o too shey" I never thought about it like that.... hmmm
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

With that kind of attitude, you deserve NY's fucked up gun laws. Just do me a favor and stay there-wouldn't want you wetting yourself over people openly carrying firearms without a dozen lisences-never mind the hysterics you're liable to fall into when you learn that, in addition to actual 40mm grenade launchers, it's also legal for a private citizen to own artillery pieces-and even live HE rounds.

Doesn't scare me even a little bit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread is retired. OP cannot see out of the bun.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

People do all sorts of illegal things and dont give a shit about it. It doesn't mean its right, and it doesn't mean they don't get caught either.

Can you convert a 37mm launcher? depends on what its made from. Most launchers (like the Spikes Tactical one) are NOT designed to withstand the pressure of a 40mm round, and even IF you were able to modify one to fit a 40mm round into, it would probably rip itself apart.

If you take an M-203 receiver and have it made with a 37mm barrel, then im sure you could re-barrel it. But how are you going to find the barrel. How are you going to find the ammo?

40mm chalk and paint rounds are not un-common, but getting the HE rounds requires a 200 dollar stamp for EACH ROUND (not to mention the forms to fill out), as well as a proper storage facility to keep them in.

You feeling safe has nothing to do with it. 37mm flares are a common style of flare, and many people like to have them on their AR's.... Is it just 'dress up' for most? maybe. Or maybe its for having a flare launcher for being in the woods and such, for emergency.

Not only is converting one extremely illegal (as already stated, 10 years in prison) but in 99.9% of the cases extremely dangerous. 37mm operates at a much lower pressure than 40mm rounds do (even the chalk rounds and training rounds) and can blow the gun up in your face.

oh and:

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy Shivak makes a 37mm barrel that slips under the original M203 receiver (which in istelf costs $3000) to make it a title 1 weapon; he also makes a barrel for the M79 that makes the weapon also a TItle 1; once you slip the 40mm barrel on, then the weapon becomes a DD.

Ok, so they would just be transfered like regular firearms; but I was trying to see if you could do that and just have it be like a regular flare launcher: no transfer needed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I have been wondering about these.

The definition of a machine gun is that it "fires more than one round with each depression of the trigger" right?

What about a round that fires 18 simultaneously?

This 40mm adapter is capable of firing (18) 22 caliber bullets at once from your 40mm weapon.

A pistol primer is pressed into the bottom of the adapter.  When the weapon is fired, this primer actuates firing pins inside the adapter that shoots off the (18) 22 caliber bullets all at once!

This adapter packs quite a punch! We also make an XM922 40mm adapter. See product list for details of the XM922 adapter.

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:19:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The definition of a machine gun is that it "fires more than one round with each depression of the trigger" right?

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image509.7291230_std.png

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image459.7291446_std.png

This 40mm adapter is capable of firing (18) 22 caliber bullets at once from your 40mm weapon.

A pistol primer is pressed into the bottom of the adapter.  When the weapon is fired, this primer actuates firing pins inside the adapter that shoots off the (18) 22 caliber bullets all at once!

This adapter packs quite a punch! We also make an XM922 40mm adapter. See product list for details of the XM922 adapter.

Those are kinda cool in a "Hey look what I got.", sorta way
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Go back to DU.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

So where exactly do you get your 40mm grenades to shoot from your converted flare launcher?  Lets be honest, I can convert several commercial planes to deliver nuclear weapons... its the ammo that is tough to find.
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:55:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image509.7291230_std.png

http://mr40mm.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/image459.7291446_std.png

Those are kinda cool in a "Hey look what I got.", sorta way

You can get an LMT M203 for $1800 +$200 tax...

One of these is $365 or so.  More depending on your commitment level, less on your machinist skills.

For an 18 shot .22lr in SHTF situation...

I could see $2400 or so being a reasonable expense.

Think of it as a single 18 shot .22lr for $2400...

Link Posted: 2/20/2010 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#50]
why you would come to GD for any technical or legal advice stumps me..

you'll find answers, but they will probably be wrong
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top