Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/28/2006 9:20:39 AM EST
I have been looking around for a bit, and the prices are all over the place. Now what would you pay for a M1 from the 40's? Wood in ok shape no cracks or missing peices, non matching #'s, metal in good shape minor pitting. I looked at CMP but from the sound of their website you will get one sight unseen. Is that correct? I am not looking for a safe queen or a show peice, I just want a shooter. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:24:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By maximak2:
I have been looking around for a bit, and the prices are all over the place. Now what would you pay for a M1 from the 40's? Wood in ok shape no cracks or missing peices, non matching #'s, metal in good shape minor pitting. I looked at CMP but from the sound of their website you will get one sight unseen. Is that correct? I am not looking for a safe queen or a show peice, I just want a shooter. Thanks.

The way to go is to get a CMP cheapie, a Criterion barrel and CMP wood and make yourself a good shooter. IMHO
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:27:49 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:48:38 AM EST
I think they are at 425, which is a geat price, but I was thinking that it is too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:53:54 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:45:23 AM EST

You can go to either the north or south store and pick yours off a rack. They'll even answer questions and help you buy.

Even with the extra paperwork and bother, the CMP is THE way to go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:05:13 AM EST
I just realized that Camp Perry is about 300 miles away. I going to give them a call, I guess a road trip may be in order. I see what you mean about the extra paper work but it doesn't seem too difficult. Or is it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:09:38 AM EST

I just realized that Camp Perry is about 300 miles away. I going to give them a call, I guess a road trip may be in order. I see what you mean about the extra paper work but it doesn't seem too difficult. Or is it?

Not difficult at all. I had to order my birth certificate, but that IIRC that only took about a week.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:21:18 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:27:52 AM EST
All the service grades are gone. I'd try to find a nice one on EE before I'd buy one that was used as a wheel chock.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:33:57 AM EST
I got 3 USGI field grades via mail order so I got them blind.

All had good stocks with expected dings and dents from real use and storage. Two had minor handguard cracks.

One has a pretty worn out barrel that is an original 1941. It shoots ok but not great. The other two are much better as far as rifling.

I had a couple minor parts problems, a cracked elevation knob and a cracked gas valve. CMP replaced both promptly. FREE OF CHARGE. They are an honorable group. They sell good m1s at pretty good prices, not as cheap as 10 years ago but still comparatively cheap. The buying in person will help you get what you want. The premo collector ones (almost new) are like $1400, probably money well spent some day but not for me.

Your CMP field grade if you had to sell it would be worth at least 600 bucks. They (CMP) say not to buy if for resale but I think 60 percent of those sales are resellers and parts dealers.

Good luck and enjoy
SoS
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:39:01 AM EST
O I forgot to say if you want a WWII one and you mail order, just attach a note requesting one in the WWII range. They will try to accomodate a reasonable request. That one is easily done as most M1s were made in the WW2 years. Not every request is able to be honored.

I ordered a service grade m1 before they ran out and requested one that had not been refinished by the greeks but got one in greek black anyhow. Probably because most of them were refinished and no original finish one was within arms reach.

good luck

SoS
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:43:10 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:09:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/29/2006 9:10:15 AM EST by DK-Prof]
I'll make you the offer I make to people who are indecisive about getting a WW2 Garand from the CMP.

Go ahead and buy one, and if you don't love it, I'll buy it off you for a reasonable markup (like $75 - $100). That way, you have zero risk. (Since I have an 03 FFL, it's not a hassle for you to just ship it to me if you don't like it.)

I've intermittently made this offer to people over the last four or five years, and I've never had anyone take me up on it - because the Garand is such an awesome rifle, and the CMP deal is such a great deal! I'm sure that if you get one, you WILL love it - but my offer stands.

Top Top