Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/6/2003 9:35:48 AM EST
Looking at the film footage from Iraq I keep seeing M1's with a square thing on the side of the tank that looks like slats or siding. I know that's not a very technical description but that's what it looks like. What are they?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:40:36 AM EST
I could be mistaken, but I believe it is reactive armor. If something like an RPG hits it, it blows up and blasts the incoming missile away from the tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:41:57 AM EST
no, i dont have one yes, i do want one
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 9:42:16 AM EST
IFF device something to do with infrared
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:00:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:00:43 AM EST
You will see it on other vehicles. It is a device to signal others on your side that you are a friendly. It is cooler than the rest of the tank. When a attack helo comes in it will see the sqaure in the thermo image. That is a guess on my part.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:00:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2003 10:01:45 AM EST by bvmjethead]
That would be the Dilithium Crystal containment field generator. [:D] Edited to say: The DCCFG for you military types. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:03:10 AM EST
Now I gotta put one on my tactical Camaro.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:04:20 AM EST
Ask we where they are manufactured? They are manufactured in Lima Ohio, 30 miles from my house [;)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:20:51 PM EST
Anyone have any idea what the tape markings are on the turret flanks on either side of the main gun? Maybe, a "don't put stuff here" warning?? What reason though?? I'm really asking, no one seems to know, so all of the tankers, please come out of the woodwork and stop reading the "kellyr" thread and answer us right quick. Thanks, bd
Top Top