Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2003 10:35:48 AM EDT
Looking at the film footage from Iraq I keep seeing M1's with a square thing on the side of the tank that looks like slats or siding. I know that's not a very technical description but that's what it looks like. What are they?
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:40:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I could be mistaken, but I believe it is reactive armor. If something like an RPG hits it, it blows up and blasts the incoming missile away from the tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
no, i dont have one

yes, i do want one
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
IFF device

something to do with infrared
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You will see it on other vehicles. It is a device to signal others on your side that you are a friendly. It is cooler than the rest of the tank. When a attack helo comes in it will see the sqaure in the thermo image.

That is a guess on my part.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#6]
That would be the Dilithium Crystal containment field generator. [:D]

Edited to say:

The DCCFG for you military types. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Now I gotta put one on my tactical Camaro.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Ask we where they are manufactured?

They are manufactured in Lima Ohio, 30 miles from my house [;)]
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone have any idea what the tape markings are on the turret flanks on either side of the main gun?

Maybe, a "don't put stuff here" warning?? What reason though??

I'm really asking, no one seems to know, so all of the tankers, please come out of the woodwork and stop reading the "kellyr" thread and answer us right quick.

Thanks,
bd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top