Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/31/2004 10:58:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 11:02:35 AM EST by hepcat85]
HERE'S A LINK to the M1A Forum in The Armory where I originally posed the question;
"Is a SA M1A (Manufactured 2001) with a factory flash suppressor be legally allowed to have a pistol grip stock in NEW JERSEY?"

********************************­*********************************************­****************
(POSTED IN RESPONSE ON 8/31/2004)

Thanks again FB

So...I call the Deputy Attorney General's office JUST TO BE SAFE. I wanted to confirm that my plan was legal. They refused to comment since "That's what attorny's are for" and "Liability issues"

Okay....Thank-you very much he who draws his pay from the taxpayers.

So I call the NJ State Police, Firearms branch. The Sgt. explains that my plans are legal since the 1997 exception was made and it's NOT a Pre-ban.

The 1997 exception:

However, according to the manufacturer’s specifications, the M1A has been modified. The modified M1A, which became available in 1994, would not be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm in accordance with the statutory provision and the Attorney General’s guidelines cited above.

So, my 2001 M1A w/ Detachable mag + factory flash supressor + pistol grip = LEGAL

Thisis reenforced by:
...However, earlier versions of the M1A which contains at least two of the criteria identified in Paragraph B of the Attorney General’s Guidelines, supra, would still be considered to be substantially identical to a prohibited firearm and continue to be banned under our State law.

So, IF I had a PRE-BAN, I could NOT add the pistol grip.

So...does the above make sense to anyone else but me? Fact check time....

***************************­*********************************************­*********************

Anyone shed any light on this question?

Thanks in advance,

Hep

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 6:24:45 PM EST
JEEBUS !

I'm getting info from every direction, all conflicting............some say YES you can, others say NO you can't.

Anyone know a good lawyer who can anser this?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:13:09 PM EST
Any legal gurus out there with an opinion?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:41:43 PM EST
"That's what attorneys are for" ???

Get those assholes back on the phone and demand an answer. If they refuse, TAKE NAMES, write a letter directly to the Attorney General and one to the office asking for their reply in writing. You are right, it's their JOB! If you get your letter it's a get out of jail free card AND collect 2 Million$$$ Do what you asked them about, if you are ever charged by the State show the letter to prove intent to comply and then SUE THE BASTARDS

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:00:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/3/2004 1:00:44 PM EST by sjshooter71]
Welcome to our nightmare! Ah NJ, can you smell it? SUX I hate this place!! That ruling makes less sense then tits on a bull.

Edited for punctuation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:06:55 PM EST
It would be technically legal only if you ground off the threads on the end of the bbl or silver soldered a compensator on the bbl. semi-auto M14 clone with detatchable mag can only have 1 evil feature or NJ AG guidlines considers the gun to be "substantially Identical" the the banned "M14 S Type"

See NJSP web page for details: www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:40:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By BRN169:
It would be technically legal only if you ground off the threads on the end of the bbl or silver soldered a compensator on the bbl. semi-auto M14 clone with detatchable mag can only have 1 evil feature or NJ AG guidlines considers the gun to be "substantially Identical" the the banned "M14 S Type"

See NJSP web page for details: www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag1.html

Thanks BRN169.

I think #4 ruins the notion of soldering on the flash hider.

4. A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

I'd think they're saying flash suppressor, period.

I'm thinking of getting the CA legal muzzle break.

Top Top