Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 5:15:48 PM EDT
Anybody know of this being the case?  Got somebody trying to tell me that the M1ASSR is being used by scout platoons.  I called BS.
He's also under the impression that the SOCCOM II and 16 are in use.  Well, it says SOCCOM,  so it must be used by them.
I almost wanted to ask if he was an Army SEAL or sold beef jerky.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Our scouts use M-4s and the scout snipers use M-24(AKA Remington 700).

FREE
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah cause why in God's name would you use a USGI M14 if you had access to a civilian manufactured halfass clone of questionable quality...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anybody know of this being the case?  Got somebody trying to tell me that the M1ASSR is being used by scout platoons.  I called BS.
He's also under the impression that the SOCCOM II and 16 are in use.  Well, it says SOCCOM,  so it must be used by them.

I though you were talking Boy Scouts at first and was going to get happy that they finally did away with the  crappy .22's.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How is an M24 different than a stock Remington 700?

Ummm...... Sorry for the hijack.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Seen pics of the funny M14 with the collapsable stock and rails in use.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah cause why in God's name would you use a USGI M14 if you had access to a civilian manufactured halfass clone of questionable quality...

Whatsa matta?
You don't like Springfield "Amrory"
What's not to like with (recent) poor QC and cast recievers from Taiwan?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Barrel, stock and I imagine the action is trued.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

700 in .308 is short action, M24 is long action.
M24 uses a full 1" nominal profiled barrel 24" long, originally by Mike Rock with a 1:11.25 5R rifling.
Trigger is adjustable (without disassembly).
Stock is the HS Precision PST05A adjustable for LOP.
Redfield Palma rear sight and International globe front with inserts.
So, pretty much everything.

ETA:
The HSLD cheekpiece is not included in the deployment kit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Our scouts use M-4s and the scout snipers use M-24(AKA Remington 700).

FREE

Thanks FREE, that's what I was familiar with, but this guy is insistent.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
so what is the reason for using a long action for the 7.62 instead of the standard short action?

im an armorer and do a lil smithing on the side and the guys have been asking me to put together something as close to possible as a 24 so they can do some shooting on the weekends.

and i want a 24 myself, but rems distributer they pawned me off on wanted 8500 for it and i told em to fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Probably as much as USSOCOM folks use the Ace SOCOM stock
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
so what is the reason for using a long action for the 7.62 instead of the standard short action?

im an armorer and do a lil smithing on the side and the guys have been asking me to put together something as close to possible as a 24 so they can do some shooting on the weekends.

and i want a 24 myself, but rems distributer they pawned me off on wanted 8500 for it and i told em to fuck off.

From my understanding, so they can switch the barrel over to a 300 win mag.

Meaning, more options for the sniper platform.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The lead up to the SWS Competition was handled by the SOF types and members of the AMU IIRC.  The SOF guys wanted to be able to switch the rifles over to .300WinMag.  So Remington based their entry for the SWS on the long action to allow for this.  The short action would not allow this, and with the long action the barrel and bolt can be switched out on the receiver.
You should be able to build one using a blank barrel from Boots Obermeyer (he developed the rifling) or Mike Rock.  He got screwed by Remington from what I understand;  he came up with the barrel for Rem and then Rem took the barrel manufacturing inhouse.  The taper is 1.2 to .9 breech to muzzle.
Get a long action 700, the barrel, and an adjustable trigger.  The M24 version is adjustable through a screw in the face of the trigger.  Get the HS Precision stock, and you're pretty much there.  Finding the Redfield sights is going to be pretty much impossible, as Redfield went out of business and the sights have nto been made for several years.
The PSS is going to be pretty close, but still different.
ETA:
The original rifle with depolyment kit was along the lines of $2500-3500 unit cost to the .gov.  8 large is robbery.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
well, that explains that, now i know, thanx

now to find a long action, to bad brownells only seems to have shorts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

No he just came from the gunstore and thats what the guy told him, or he stayed at a holiday inn last night
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, hell no... if the Springfield Armory Inc. rifles were in the field, the company would go broke trying to keep up with all the broken parts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:36:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
well, that explains that, now i know, thanx

now to find a long action, to bad brownells only seems to have shorts.

Find a Rem 700 in .30/06 you'll have the right bolt face in a long action. Then buy the right stock and rebarrel it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#20]
unfortunatly that means i'll have ta pay for a whole rifle, and than buy a barrel and a new bolt.

will the 308 bolt fit the long action? im really not up on bolt guns all that much

wonder if cabellas still has the low price on the 700sps

o well
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Why not just build it off the short action? Not a clone...but a better weapon....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#22]
mainly because im trying to get it as close as possible, i allready have a sps in .308, its an awesome rifle, i guess i just got a wild ambition to have my own m24 for the most part (without geting raped by rems distributor)

its all a moot point at this time anyhow as im goin through a divorce again( ie im broke). what the hell is wrong with women these days.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whatsa matta?
You don't like Springfield "Amrory"
What's not to like with (recent) poor QC and cast recievers from Taiwan?

Damnit.  I just spit coffee all over my morning reports.

That's some funny stuff.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:42:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:52:52 AM EDT
[#25]
the lack of the use of win mag could be due to the fact that the vast majority of us, ( i include myself as a pretty highspeed armorer) didn't even realize that win mag was an option for the platform. Everything we see about it only refers to the 7.62.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the lack of the use of win mag could be due to the fact that the vast majority of us, ( i include myself as a pretty highspeed armorer) didn't even realize that win mag was an option for the platform. Everything we see about it only refers to the 7.62.

It's in the Army Sniper Training and Employment manual!

Seriously though. I can't imagine why they did it. You have to swap the bolt and barrel to change calibers....might as well just order a new rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top