Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/31/2001 10:50:56 AM EDT
Hi,

I have a coupon for M1A stuff from SPringfield Armory.  What do I really need, besides more magazines?

I plan on using a Boresnake for cleaning the bore since I hate those rods, or am I better off with one?

What about cleaning the gas piston thingy--do I need the disassembly tool or can I take it down with my Leatherman?

What's the M1A gadget SA is selling?

So what do I really NEED?

Well, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
"leatherman" ???  [shock]

Get at least the handle for the cleaning rod, the one with the "wrench" for the gas tube nut.

oh, a Bolt dissassembly tool comes in handy.... mine can be used on the M1 also.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the M1A - love mine and my Bushy.

The "Gadget" is mainly a screwdriver and also for the stock screw (drawing a blank on the proper name here) on the wood stocks.

The GI cleaning kit is good to have.  Adds weight.  You also get the combo tool.  I use a bore snake also.

Don't get your mags from Springfield, too much money.  CDNN investments has about averge prices for USGI ($50), also have factory 5 and 10 rounders for $20.

I added a vented handguard, to help ventilation.  Looks cool also.

Get a nice sling, I have the canvas and a nylon one.

Spare parts (Fulton Armory), springs, pins, etc.

Too bad you didn't buy a few months back when they had the scope deal.  Was the selling point for taking the plunge at that time.  $99 for 6x scope and mount, very nice.

The next thing I'm adding to mine is the NM rear sight aperature.

Not as many toys as are available for the AR15, but a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
"Don't get your mags from Springfield, too much money. CDNN investments has about averge prices for USGI ($50), also have factory 5 and 10 rounders for $20."

If you want excellent M14 magazines, get them from Coles Distributing.  They are about $31.95 or so and most are like new.
www.coledistributing.com
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
"Don't get your mags from Springfield, too much money. CDNN investments has about averge prices for USGI ($50), also have factory 5 and 10 rounders for $20."

If you want excellent M14 magazines, get them from Coles Distributing.  They are about $31.95 or so and most are like new.
www.coledistributing.com
View Quote

Thanks for the tip!...stocking up on mags for the M14/M1A gets expensive,
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Everything M1A SA offers is way overpriced.
This includes the Loaded accs with the coupons.
Do not buy accs from them.
Better can be found for less elsewhere.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Above now said and rant over.
You need a combo tool and a gas cylinder wrench.
The bolt tool is nice but it can be done with a bootlace.Save $40 there and get another Cole magazine.
cpermd
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]
My bad.  I should have mentioned I have an M1A SCOUT...I don't think the stock flips open, and it has plastic, not wood stock.  Also has a Cali muzzle brake, not a flash supproessor.

What's in the cleaning kit?

Keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 11:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry about Califronia, I remember my box siad "Not Legal for Sale in Cali"

The kit:
Cleaning Rods
Patch Holder
Combo Tool
Bore Brush
Oiler
Pouch

The SA kit is a good deal with the loaded cupon, I think mine was about $12, most others have them $16-26.

Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Skunkabilly,

You'll need several things, most from Fulton Armory.
Scott Duff's book (mentioned by raf).
3/8 inch box-end wrench to remove the gas plug (hardware store).
Gas cylinder wrench (keeps gas cylinder to barrel fit tight).
Small container of high quality gun grease (M-1A needs grease for the bolt lugs and rollers).
GI chamber brush.
Gas cylinder shims for proper GC to barrel fit.
Magazines from Cole's (Mentioned by billsr).
ARMS #18 or Smith Enterprise scope mount (do NOT use any SA mounts they're a POS).

Boresnake should be OK for light cleaning, rod with bore guide is better (remember to clean rifle upside down so solvent/oil doesn't run into the gas cylinder).
SA Loaded coupon is a joke except for the scope offer (SA scopes are made by Hakko in Japan)
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I would also go to www.fredsstocks.com. He has everything you need and with the Scout I would stock up on bandoleers/clips, a lot cheaper than mags.
[sniper]
Good shooting!
Link Posted: 1/1/2002 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#13]
A rifle cradle so you can clean it upside down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top