Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/7/2004 6:31:52 AM EST
M14 in Iraq. I believe the M14 is without doubt the most photogenic semi-auto .308 battle rifle.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:33:13 AM EST
The guy on the right is saying

"Wait for it!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:35:29 AM EST
I think that's the M21
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:36:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 6:38:21 AM EST by panzersergeant]

Originally Posted By 1Walker:
I think that's the M21

I think you're right.

I probably should have said "M14 platform."
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:37:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By panzersergeant:

I think that's the M21

I think you're right.

I probably shoud have said "M14 platform."

We know what you meant. And it's a cool pic anyways. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:38:48 AM EST

I think that's the M21

Thats an awfully skinny barrel.
Maybe just a 14 with a scope?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:38:50 AM EST
sorry, I was being a nit pick. Being a lurker on this board for a longtime has done that to me.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:41:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

"Wait for it!"

I would say "wait till I cover my ears to shoot!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:43:37 AM EST
Look at the shoulder pad he has made out of what apears to be a groin peice from an interceptor, awsome.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:47:04 AM EST
there is a knife attached to the groin piece.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:48:10 AM EST

sorry, I was being a nit pick. Being a lurker on this board for a longtime has done that to me.

Nit picking can actually be beneficial sometimes. I'll take nit-picking any day over the often vile attacks issued by some on this board over mostly petty bullshit.

But then, this is the internet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:55:23 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:55:24 AM EST
First, the M14 / M21 is a LOUSY scoping paltform.

Second, that's GOTTA be a posed "for the camera guy " photo.

NO WAY to get off a decent unsupported shot with a magnification scope
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:59:41 AM EST

Originally Posted By garandman:

I never said it was a good sniper photo!

And, lousy or not, it gets the job done.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:14:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:16:23 AM EST by 82ndAbn]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:16:28 AM EST
he may be glassing the buildings looking for rag heads.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:16:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
M14 in Iraq. I believe the M14 is without doubt the most photogenic semi-auto .308 battle rifle.

armytimes.com/content/editorial/editart/100504front2.JPG

That's because it's the greatest battle rifle ever devised.

<puts on flame suit>

(unless of course, you are fighting within 100 yards.)

mtechgunman
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:18:19 AM EST
Is the guy on the right wearing a Blackhawk vest?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:23:12 AM EST

Just depends on what decent is don't it. From the picture you would think that the guy is just looking at somthing, givin that others are not looking at what he is, but he does have his finger on the trigger. Maybe the guy on the right is betting him he can't shoot the balls off that camel on top of the dune.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:29:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By TexasRooter:

Just depends on what decent is don't it. From the picture you would think that the guy is just looking at somthing, givin that others are not looking at what he is, but he does have his finger on the trigger. Maybe the guy on the right is betting him he can't shoot the balls off that camel on top of the dune.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:32:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:44:06 AM EST by vito113]
M14…pffft

Get your Military to stump up some real money and buy your guys the best! The Accuracy International AW Super Magnum… the best military Sniper rifle in the world… .338 Lapua Magnum… that leaves a mark!

The Accuracy International AW Super Magnum… Standard Sniper Rifle of the Royal Marines & British Army.

"HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE .338 LAPUA MAGNUM
Alan C. Paulson

Originally developed as a military cartridge, …The .338 fills an important but previously unfilled tactical niche between 7.62mm and .50 caliber sniper rifles, since it is capable of delivering reliable hits to 1,500 meters.

The .338 LAPUA Magnum is an important cartridge to military snipers because it significantly outperforms the 7.62x51 mm (.308 Winchester) round, which is the most common cartridge used in the sniper rifles of NATO and other Western countries. Rifles chambered in 7.62x51 mm tend to be reasonably light and maneuverable while providing a good mix of accuracy and penetration out to about 600 meters with conventional ammo and to about 900 meters with VLD (Very Low Drag) ammo. The .300 Winchester Magnum, which is increasingly being fielded in sniper rifles, provides good performance out to about 1,000 meters. That's a long shot, but serious problems in the real world can need solving at greater ranges.

In the military environment--whether conducting conventional operations, so-called peace-keeping missions, or special operations--it's not uncommon to come under heavy weapons fire originating a kilometer or more away. There has been considerable interest in fielding precision rifles chambered for the massive .50 BMG (12.7x99rnm) machine gun round to counter such long-range threats, since this round has a maximum effective range of about 2,000 meters.

The .338 LAPUA Magnum is capable of placing reliable hits well beyond a kilometer (0.6 mile), yet the typical .338 rifle only weighs about 2 pounds (I kg) more than a comparable .308 rifle.

Barrett Firearms in the United States is working on three interesting weapons chambered for this round: a bolt-action rifle, a semiautomatic rifle, and a belt-fed machine gun.

History of the .338 LAPUA Magnum

The .338 LAPUA Magnum, also known as the 8.6x70mm, was originally developed in 1983 as a long-range sniper cartridge for the U.S. Navy designed to push a 250 grain (16.2 gram) bullet at about 3,000 fps (914 mps). After a series of experiments, the Research Armament Company in the United States designed a round based on a slightly shortened and necked-down .416 Rigby case, building rifles for the Navy that used Hornady bullets and cases from Brass Extrusion Labs. The cartridge went from wildcat to production status when Lapua Ltd. in Finland refined the design at the Navy's request. The standard .416 case was not robust enough to support the average pressures generated by this cartridge, so Lapua kept the outside dimensions the same but beefed up the web area of the case. I should note that average pressures for this cartridge run a bitless than 60,915 psi or 420 MPa, and no single round will exceed 70,052 psi or 483 MPa. Muzzle velocity of production ammunition is a wee bit slower than the original concept, running about 2,950 fps (900 mps) out of the average rifle. This round will still be supersonic at 1.300 yards (1,200 meters), however, while 7.62x51 mm M80ball commonly goes subsonic around 770 yards (704 m).

www.custer.com.au/Lap/pages/338Hist.html

Andy
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:34:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:35:15 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:35:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:40:24 AM EST by garandman]

Originally Posted By 82ndAbn:

garandman, when you were a sniper in a combat zone, did you have poor experiences with that system?

I don't need to swallow broken glass to understand it'll hurt going down.

And I don;t need to be a sniper in a combat zone to understand that an unsupported scoped rifle is VERY difficult to produced aimed fire.

And I ****DID *** have a scoped M1A. The centerline of the scope is WAAAY above the rifle bore. Its darn hard to get a decent cheek weld. BOTH of these typically produce inconsistent hits.

These are indisputable facts.

edit- also...it would appear that he's using the scope as a magnifier - not an attempt to engage a target.

Now I said a "decent shot" didn't I???? I agree its prolly for recon NOT aimed fire.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:38:31 AM EST

I'm merely saying I'd bet he is NOT engaging a target as its pretty darn hard to do any SERIOUS work with an unsupported scoped rifle.

Also, the fact that he and his spotter are standing full upright suggests to me there is NO enemy nearby.

The military still teaches use of cover, right??

Posed shot - one for the camera man.

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:39:50 AM EST

Originally Posted By sgthoskins:

"Wait for it!"

More like "It's coming right for us!"
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:40:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 7:41:42 AM EST by Dave_A]

Originally Posted By vito113:

Barrett Firearms in the United States is working on three interesting weapons chambered for this round: a bolt-action rifle, a semiautomatic rifle, and a belt-fed machine gun.

Andy

Now THAT would be nice, as a vehicle-mounted weapon...

Presently, the fire-control equipment on the Bradley & Abrams can see troops further out than the .308 coaxial MG can reach... But changing to 50cal would result in a slower ROF and a significantly smaller ammo load...

This seems like it's 'right in the middle'....

As for the M14, you guys all know what I think of that rifle (Cough RELIC Cough)...

The only reason you are seeing them out there is that they are FREE... The SR-25 or AR-10A4 are both much MUCH better choices!
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:40:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By vito113:

Get your Military to stump up some real money and buy your guys the best! The Accuracy International AW Super Magnum… the best military Sniper rifle in the world… .338 Lapua Magnum… that leaves a mark!

Andy

Yes...thanks for reminding us.

My pleasure… They make them in my home town!

ANdy
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:50:51 AM EST

Really? I thought it appeared that his finger was resting forward of the trigger.

On closer inspection you are probably right I have a fairly small monitor. Camel must have gone behind the dune
Top Top