Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2004 2:13:08 PM EDT
Today I encountered something quite odd.  Normally your typical strobe circuit runs out and bounces through the strobes and then ends with a resistor, in this case 4.7K

This circuit had two ends on it, with 2.2k resistors (It used to work so they were adding up to close enough to 4.7K for the panel to be okay with it)

I read an open circuit at the panel on the wires, but all the devices work properly.

I read the 2.2k resistors in both directions from any strobe out in the field.

My question... how is it still working???

I know this is an EXTREMELY long shot but I figured hey, maybe someone here does this for a living too.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#1]
class "a" wiring???.  you should be able to see the 4.7k e.o.l definetly not per nfpa 72 if it's wired like that.
i can understand if they series the two 2.2k ohm resistors to make it close to 4.7k. is the circuit in question coming out of the same port of the power supply???? 2 wires out or 4 wires out???
if you cant , there is something seriuosly f*(ked up! is it just a horn circuit or a horn stobe circuit????
you should have the equivalent of 2 thhn stranded pair for your horns and a fplr solid for your strobe circuit. or you can take a 12 volt battery and take the loop off of the p.s. and test it.
if you are not seeing the e.o.l , that circuit is not being supervised.
also break the circiut in half and read the e.o.l, double check your circuit to make sure you are on the correct set of strobes.i have seen so much shitty installs in my life to say to you , rip it out and run it right. it is after all life ,safety issue.
what kinda equipment????????notifier, siemens,est,etc........
meat
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe that is called a "T-Tap".  Not kosher at all.

If your name is going to be on it when you are done, re-wire so it is correct.

If this is just an inspection, inform the owner in writing that it needs correction, and is not workinbg properly.  Have owner sign a copy and you keep signed copy if they don't want it fixed.

Some of the panels have a +/- range on loop resistance, and you are showing the panel enough to keep it happy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats the strange thing testing it shows it works perfectly.  It's class B.  I know its wrong as hell but its one of those "get it working now and we will have you come back and fix it later" missions.  

Its a notifier 1010 and its just a strobe circuit.  I'm absolutely positive I have the right wires, also nothing has changed in the building... this setup these assmasters who put it in did used to work until this morning.  I too have seen some terrible installs but nothing on this scale.

It's painful to see customers wanting to save money on something that could cause death and destruction if not working properly.   I can't believe this setup got past any fire marshal or code inspector.  The plus side is that their building was damaged in the hurricanes and they say they are getting FEMA money and want a new setup so we will eventually get them up and running the right way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with "the murph" in the NY hometown forums. He does this for a living and might be able to help out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top