Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 10:16:00 PM EDT
Louisiana governor takes responsibility for hurricane response

(Baton Rouge, Louisiana-AP) Sept. 14, 2005 - Louisiana's governor says she is taking "full responsibility" for the failures and missteps in the immediate response to Hurricane Katrina.

And Kathleen Blanco says, as governor, "the buck stops here."

She told lawmakers in a special meeting of the state legislature, that there were failures at every level of government: state, federal and local. And she says leaders must take a careful look at what went wrong and "make sure it never happens again."

On Tuesday, President Bush for the first time took responsibility for federal government mistakes in dealing with the hurricane.

Blanco calls Bush "a friend and partner" in the recovery effort. And she described plans for a rebuilding effort that would span all levels of government but would be funded with federal money.

Posted 10:00pm by Chantelle Janelle

www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=3852368&nav=0RaMeXm4

Wow! I wonder what spurred this change of heart that she suddenly wants to take responsibility for her dismal shortcomings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:24:31 PM EDT
The news media has verified her blocking of Salvation Army and Red Cross help, her delays in taking the steps she was supposed to have taken to evacuate residents and deploy her own people and materiel, and probably at least one other huge screwup we haven't heard of yet, and she figures an acceptance of responsibility wil make reports of her abject incompetence and political triangulating during the disaster look mean-spirited. That's my guess: a multi-megaton news expose' in the next few days exonerating the feds and painting Blanco and Nagin as "Administrative Assistants to the Hurricane."
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:28:58 PM EDT
Hmmm, taking responsibility for the hurricane seems tp be becoming a trend. Let me be the first in Alaska to say that I take responsibility for both Hurricane Katrina (by producing greenhouse gasses) and for the slow Federal response (voted for Bush).

That oughta rack me up some brownie points.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:31:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
The news media has verified her blocking of Salvation Army and Red Cross help, her delays in taking the steps she was supposed to have taken to evacuate residents and deploy her own people and materiel, and probably at least one other huge screwup we haven't heard of yet, and she figures an acceptance of responsibility wil make reports of her abject incompetence and political triangulating during the disaster look mean-spirited. That's my guess: a multi-megaton news expose' in the next few days exonerating the feds and painting Blanco and Nagin as "Administrative Assistants to the Hurricane."

You may be right. This may be a precursor to a story to be released that highlights the vast gulf of competence that existed between the Governor's Office and Mayor Nagin's nest of vipers. They may be getting held out as sacrificial lambs so that the true depths of Dimocrap incompetence and vicious corruption in LA and NO won't be probed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yekimak:
Hmmm, taking responsibility for the hurricane seems tp be becoming a trend. Let me be the first in Alaska to say that I take responsibility for both Hurricane Katrina (by producing greenhouse gasses) and for the slow Federal response (voted for Bush).

Yekimak for president!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 11:50:20 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Wow! I wonder what spurred this change of heart that she suddenly wants to take responsibility for her dismal shortcomings.

She had no choice…

The President put her on the spot yesterday when he took responsibility for the Federal shortcomings… which were very very minor compared to the Governor's complete cluster fu*k.

And the President is giving a speech on the matter tomorrow night if she did not take responsibility now she is scared he could hurt her in the speech… which he could do but will not it is not his way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:03:43 AM EDT
Good calls, all, gentlemen!

Can't sneak sunrise past a rooster, and you can't sneak BS past the ARFCOM Night Crew.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:23:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 1:25:03 AM EDT by effinNewGuy]

Originally Posted By yekimak:

hahaha...good one!

ETA: and oh yeah, goodbye Goobernor! better practice your Amway selling skills!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:27:45 AM EDT
The people of that state need to demand her resignation.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:47:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Max_Mike:

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

She had no choice…

The President put her on the spot yesterday when he took responsibility for the Federal shortcomings… which were very very minor compared to the Governor's complete cluster fu*k.

And the President is giving a speech on the matter tomorrow night if she did not take responsibility now she is scared he could hurt her in the speech… which he could do but will not it is not his way.

+1 . Knowing her career is over , she might have just decided to "come clean" for what her errors were . And may have also jumped at the chance to have the states government restructured at Federal expence . Maybe she has a /or got a concience over this .

Plus now that Bush has done it and the Govenor has done it ......... Ol Naggin will have to do it ...after poimting out how "clear " it was the feds fault within first 24 hours . To not do it would have us all to assume he made no mistakes . I am not sure even he could get away with that in his home town .
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:43:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MaineAR:
The people of that state need to demand her resignation.

And just when does her term end
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:43:50 AM EDT
I hereby accept responsibility for Michael Moore still being alive and consuming natural and unnatural resources of the planet Earth.

My sole excuse: I haven’t seen it in my sights yet. I hope all of Arfcom forgives me for my transgressions against God in Heaven, Mother Nature, America, mom, apple pie and belt-fed M16’s.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:46:29 AM EDT
I do not like letting these two control "billions" of dollars with little or no accounting.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:08:59 AM EDT
She's trying to ride President GW Bush's coattails!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:23:28 AM EDT
George W. masterfully concluded that by accepting responsibility, he neutered any Dem criticisms of him, and came out further ahead by representing himself as an elected official who actually accepts responsibility instead of pointing fingers.

Class individual, and very strategic of a move on his part.

It was so good of a move, Blanco is now trying to do the same thing for herself.

Too bad the rest of the world already sees through it as a 'me too' response from someone who made it a habit during the first week after the storm of doing nothing but wringing her hands in the media and pointing fingers.

Buh bye Blanco.
Top Top