Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 8:05:02 AM EDT
Lotus took the engine from the Toyota Celica GT-S and tuned it up to 190 HP from 180.  While 190 HP may not seem like a lot, the Elise sprints from 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and to the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds flat thanks to its curb weight of 1975 lbs  Around $40,000 with low miles and $45-50 new depending on options.

Today $40,000 won't even get you a new vette, and I don't even turn my head anymore at a new one.  For 40K you can't find a better head turner.  It uses the toyota engine from a celica which would make it reliable and I think compared to what else is out there in it's price range it would hold it's value well.  I've been thinking about the GTO ($32K), Infinity G35 ($36K), and the 350z ($33K), but for just a little more I could get something that's a little more exotic, and by the reviews, definately mroe fun to drive.  I have a civic now that's paid off with less than 90K and it's my daily driver,  The elise would be a weekend/sunny day car that I imagine would get no more than 5,000 miles a year.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, they're nice.  But the US version is, of course, pussified compared to the european version of it.

Damned emissions laws
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I rented one for 3 days while on vacation in Vegas.  It is an awesome little sports car.  And it IS little.  I'm 5'7" and I had to bend down slightly to touch the top of the door.  We pulled next to a Mini Cooper at a stop light and it towered above our little Elise.  

You're right about it being a head-turner.  Several times a day people would ask about the car, take pictures, etc..  It's a funny feeling being a hick from North Carolina and having people snap photos of you sitting at a stop light.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to own one...looks like a blast. I can't even afford an s2000 so I think the Elise is out of the question for me
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Great little performance car.

I'd bet it would be the fastest car from point A to point B that is available today, with the exception of maybe a simple stoplight drag against some supercar, or a top-speed shootout at the salt flats.

Last I heard, there was a 3 year waiting list on the Lotus Elise, so maybe you might want to check into that first.

Could be,  but if I got one I'd probably find a low mileage one from Ebay.  The going rate seems to run $39K-$44K for the 04-05's with less than 5K miles on them.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like a blast, until you have to fork over a check for $38 grand.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
It's on my list for next summer, hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
i seen one of those driving around here the other night.  

my opinion of it is:  get one if you want to pick up girls or want something fun to drive.  there is no storage and IMO is a waste of money.  

ETA:  i just actually read what you said about it and it seems exactly what you are looking for buy why spend 40k on something you will use so sparingly.  for that kind of money, why not buy a nice, new truck...atleast you will have something that is actually useful.

just giving my opinion
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Too small, looks like a chick car.

I always liked the looks of the Espirits, but they have a tiny little driver tub too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome car plain and simple. However it really only is practical as a weekend/sunny day cruiser with only a removable top and pop out windows. Still I would happily drive it daily. It isn't even close to running flat 12's in the 1/4 though. More like low 13's.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Too small, looks like a chick car.

A chick car? really?  I always thought it looked more exotic looking..

And for those of you saying it's too small, I think you're missing the whole point of the car.  It's a 3/4-sized supercar.  You're not going to find a bench seat and cup holders on the interior.  There is surprisingly enough leg room for someone a little over 6 foot tall.  My friend is 6'0" and he used the second to last notch on the seat adjustment.  You cannot, however, be a fat-ass or extremely heavily built.  

As far as performance, it could use more low-end torque. A factory supercharger would be perfect.  But the number are pretty impressive as it is - on the Motortrend track it BEAT the '05 Lamborghini Gallardo, '05 Saleen S281, Ford's new '05 GT, and the '05 Porsche 911 Carrera.. among others.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't doubt it will perform like a bat out of hell, but it's just not my style.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#15]
If you want an Elise, you better look for a second hand car - the local dealer has a parking lot full and I don't think one of them is stickered less than $50k.  Supposedly there is a waiting list in the US, but their inventory hasn't changed in two or three weeks.

Little bitty cars, too small for full size drivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top