Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 11:35:19 PM EDT
This is complete BS! I would lawyer up so damn quick it would make their heads spin, and I WOULD get paid!

www.wftv.com/news/4788259/detail.html

Florida Lottery Says $250,000 Scratch-Off Ticket Is Misprinted

OVIEDO, Fla. -- She thought she won $250,000 in the lottery, but the lottery said it's not paying. The lottery said what appeared to be a winning ticket was a misprint.

Tina Coley buys her scratch off tickets at the same store every week. She said she almost had a heart attack when she matched a number for a quarter of a million dollars. But the Florida Lottery said the ticket is a misprint and Coley's only entitled to $20.

Coley and her family raise German Shepherds. They have enough puppies to keep them smiling, despite a weeks-long roller coaster ride.

Coley bought a ticket at the Sunoco Food Mart just outside Oviedo and scratched it at a stoplight.

"I'm sitting at the light and I scratched the ticket and realize that the two matched the two on the ticket and it was worth $250,000. My hands started shaking. I couldn't drive. The people behind me were tooting their horns," Coley explained.

Right away, she drove to the lottery office in Casselberry, where they copied the ticket and sent the original to Tallahassee. Two weeks later, a lottery official called to say the ticket was a pretty big mistake.

"They said it's a misprint. They misprinted the ticket and they say it's not their responsibility to pay me any of the money," Coley said.

In fact, they put it in writing with a letter to Coley saying, "There is a printing defect which could make the 22 appear as a 2." They said, no dice, and offered her $300-worth of lottery tickets for her trouble.

"Whether they misprinted it or correctly printed it, it's not my fault that they didn't print the ticket properly and, as far as I was concerned, I won $250,000.

Friday, the Lottery issued a statement saying they print 500-million tickets a year and that "the very nature of any mechanical printing process can never guarantee 100% accuracy."

They said, under the number two, a partial printing of an abbreviation for 22 appears, so the lottery decided the mistake should play out in their own favor.

"I think God has a really strange sense of humor, to give you $250,000 and take it away in the next breath," Coley said.

Lottery officials originally told Coley she could have her winning ticket back, but now that they've said 'Sorry, Charlie,' they decided they'd keep the questionable ticket.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#1]
in the end I doubt she will get the money.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Um..

If I recall correctly, they have the written-out version of each number on the ticket designed exactly for this problem. If the numerical and longhand doesn't match up, it's a no-go.

(Twenty Two)

Does not equal winning. Shitty situation though.

ETA: What is this "costs woman quarter million dollars" stuff? Did they give it to her, then demand the money back? No, so what's with the play on words?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Um..

If I recall correctly, they have the written-out version of each number on the ticket designed exactly for this problem. If the numerical and longhand doesn't match up, it's a no-go.

(Twenty Two)

Does not equal winning. Shitty situation though.

Atleast that's how California scratchers work.  My buddy wastes his money on them all the damn time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Atleast that's how California scratchers work.  My buddy wastes his money on them all the damn time.

It makes mention of the same thing in the article. I'm going off memory of the ones gifted to me on my 18th birthday. Didn't win a damned thing.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:51:22 PM EDT
[#5]
It their error they need to pay up. Mistake or not. Their QC was lacking and cost them $250k as far as I can see. If a company is not liable for a mistake than its a pretty fucked up.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It their error they need to pay up. Mistake or not. Their QC was lacking and cost them $250k as far as I can see. If a company is not liable for a mistake than its a pretty fucked up.

(Twenty Two)

What part of "it does not equal 'two'" doesn't make sense?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:41:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Missprints are not legally binding.

+1

I'm sure that the back of the ticket, in
fine print, says something like "Not
responsible for printing or mechanical
errors."

Too bad, so sad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#10]
maybe she could sell it for $50,000 to some unsuspecting idiot
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:54:28 AM EDT
[#11]
somewhere in Tallahassee a "lottery official" is pocketing 250 large
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Lottery = Tax on Stupidity
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 4:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
So how did the misprint "Cost" her any money?  Not paying out is not the same as takeing money away from her.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:00:49 AM EDT
[#14]
WHo pays Loto winnings people?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You're kidding...right?

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:29:31 AM EDT
[#16]
In Indiana, lottery subsidizes our license plates.   So, I encourage stupid people to play the lottery as much as they want.  
Sometimes, if I see a poor person in line, I try to goad them into putting that baby formula back and buying a few scratchers...  The plates on my new car are expensive!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#18]
She was scratching lotto tickets while she was driving????????
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:01:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Lottery officials originally told Coley she could have her winning ticket back, but now that they've said 'Sorry, Charlie,' they decided they'd keep the questionable ticket.

Hmmmmmm    She can't sue if the ticket gets destroyed.  There would be no proof of anything.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmmmm    She can't sue if the ticket gets destroyed.  There would be no proof of anything.

They destroy the ticket and they've handed her $250,000.  That would make it look like a cover up in a lawsuit.  I'll bet that ticket is in a secure location waiting for the lawyer's call.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top