Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2001 8:35:15 AM EDT
How many here are from SC?  What city/town?  Do you know about Grass Roots?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Columbia here. Member GOSC, Grass roots, Life NRA, F.O.N.R.A. comittee 3 years.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I was born and raised in Greenville.  Still have family there, in Anderson and Columbia.  

Don't know about Grass Roots.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Let's just say that if anyone could tell me which FFL in the Charleston area has the cheapest rates to take delivery on, say, the LEGP, I'd appreciate it :P

[url]http://www.anotherpundit.com[/url]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Let's just say that if anyone could tell me which FFL in the Charleston area has the cheapest rates to take delivery on, say, the LEGP, I'd appreciate it :P

[url]http://www.anotherpundit.com[/url]
View Quote

members of Grass Roots have access to an FFL holder here in Columbia for sure. Probably others that I'm not aware of. The one here will do it for $25-30 I think. You should be a ble to do as well or better on your own in the Chas area. ATP will probably do it, but I'd bet it's pricey.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:08:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Lexington.  How many CWP holders out there?  

If don't know about Grass Roots, then go here and join!  

http://www.scfirearms.org/
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm from Greenville, and I'm now living in Pauline (near Spartanburg) and Easley different parts of the week.

Why so many from SC?  I think it's because we live in such a rabid anti-gun state.  Oppression seems to make us seek-out others for support.  When I lived in Madison, Wisconsin, the local media presented gun owners in a much different light.  Heck, they even covered a local militia weekend training camp (oversaw by three marine officers on leave) in a positive light.  That makes me want to spend my summers there.  Now, I work as a driver for a armored car company, so I'm around a lot of wannabe and former (read, fired) police officers that are very vocal against the private ownership of handguns.  Other than to a few select people at work, I haven't mentioned gun ownership.  I've seen a couple of guys fired for hunting, so I keep my mouth shut.  My wife, a dignified looking woman in her 60's, was stopped by SCHP less than a month ago, and held for over four hours because the officer saw a target in her hatchback so they could have an animal tear-up and soil our car.  Her crime?  Crossing the centerline twice.

About cheap FFL's in SC question: I don't know about around Charleston, but in Simpsonville Jack'Sons Guns is a very professional shop that will do transfers for $25.  Their web page is at [url]http://www.jacksonsguns.com/[/url].  In Spartanburg on Asheville Hwy there's a pawn shop called Hilltop that will do transfers for $12.  As of two weeks ago, they had three Taurus revolvers in 38 special for less than $150.  As an added bonus, one of the nicest knife shops in existence is down the street from them, Odom Ace Hardware.  They have a great collection of Spyderco, CS, CRKT, Benchmade, and Microtech (just to list a few).  Most of the prices are about the same as mail order, if you include shipping, plus you can inspect before you buy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#8]
DavidF150, Lexington?  I went by the Lexington county sheriff's office about a month ago to pick-up a CWP application.  They claimed it wasn't valid in their (two different officers used the possessive) county.  If you're considering a CWP, then the easiest thing to do is to go by SLED on Broad River Rd.  I got the run around from several county offices before finally driving to Columbia.  Also, get your fingerprints done there.  From talking to a friend's son that works there, the vast majority of CWP applications are refused because of "smudged" fingerprints.  Make sure you get SLED to do the fingerprinting, because this SLED employee claimed that only half of the applications fingerprinted and turned-in there were denied.  I personally know 7 people that have applied for a CWP, but none, so far, have been granted one.  You'd think we live in a may issue state from the statistics.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Most of the cops (former and present) I know are very much for individual gun ownership.  It makes their job so much easier.  More legal guns, less crime.  I'd not call SC anti-gun since they did pass the watered-down CWP.  Let's call them misguided about guns instead.  Like the dumbasses that have the "NO Conceal Weapons" on thier doors.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:37:08 AM EDT
[#10]
There should be a SC shoot sometime in the near future. Maybe someone has access to a farm similar to the Virginia thing.
We just need a place. Mid-Carolina Rifle club is in Columbia. We might be able to do something there. No car shooting or camping. Basicly just a great range with great facilities. I really don't want to make a big formal rule filled event out of it. Noting that safety is paramount in these things, sometimes you just want to dump a mag or something like that. Thats where a farm would be preferable.
Scott
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Garandman sounding off.

Spartanburg, SC

Soon to be a Grass Roots member.

Would REALLY like to attend a SC black rifle shoot (as long as I can bring ALL types of black rifles  [:D]  )

Link Posted: 4/24/2001 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Mid-Carolina Friends of the NRA dinner is May 12th in Coilumbia. Sheraton Hotel. Keynote speaker will be the Texas lawmaker Suzanna Gracia Hupp. She was the woman who was forced to leave her weapon in the car and was unable to defend her parents in Luby's cafeteria. There is a strong probability that Wayne Lapierre will attend. He was the speaker last year & had so much fun he has said he will attend again this year. There will likely be many state & local officials there as well. I have heard that Charlie Condon will come as well as Legislators & Sheriffs of surrounding counties. S.C. is a very pro-second amendment state. If you need tickets, contact me. They are $25 per person. There will be door prizes, silent & live auctions as well as other games of skill to win prizes randing from art prints to Glocks, Kimbers, Remington, Ruger, Sako & more.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey ZOOM.  I live in Lexington County and had my fingerprinting done there.  That was 2 years ago tho.  I didn't have any problem with my CWP.  What were the reasons denied?  I thought it was pretty easy as long as you were never booked by the cops.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#14]
From what I understand from talking to several SLED employees and a couple of friends who hired an attorney in an attempt to get a CWP, refusing the large number of applications isn't SLED's fault.  They send the fingerprint cards to the FBI.  The FBI scans them with their automated equipment.  If there are any smudges or missing parts of the print, then the FBI will reject the prints, then SLED will reject the CWP application.  I've been fingerprinted by SLED several times for a permit (that wasn't a CWP), and they couldn't get a good print.  Part of the print on each of my first three fingers on my right hand is gone.  I'm 72 with dry skin, and I carry heavy canvas bags at work and sometimes help a nephew w/ masonry work, so that's probably why I had a problem.  I will never be able to get a CWP directly from SLED.  In SC, after you are denied, you have 30 days to petition the Chief of SLED for an appeal.  From what the attorney said, Robert Stewart (sp?, never seen it in writing) never even sees the appeals because his secretary Glenda "handles" them.  When (I said when, not if) your appeal is denied, you have only 30 days to get an administrative law judge (one elected by the state general assembly) to appeal.  If you miss either one of the 30 day deadlines, SLED is under no obligation to ever (according to current law) grant you a CWP.

Grass Roots seems more interested in making noise about the current CWP laws than making sure that the existing ones are enforced, and SLED actually issues the permits.  I've already wasted money and time taking the CWP class (got a 50 on both portions!) and spending time driving to/from SLED in Columbia in an attempt to get acceptable prints and to get the application in the first place.  I'm around large amounts of money and other types of valuables and I'm old, so I would love to have a CWP, but that's not going to happen with the current regime.  SLED will not (have they ever?) be forced to follow the law by the current governor, so what's a poor old guy to do?
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Easley here. Yes been to grassroots web site but I'm not a member nor do I have a cwp. I'm going to get it soon. Fast Cash pawn shop transfered several Olympic lowers for us at $20 a pop. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#16]
From central Ga, and stationed at MCAS Beaufort.
Link Posted: 4/24/2001 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Blue207 here -- Hey guys.

I live in Powdersville, which to the majority of you probably means nothing, but it is a large residential community right outside of Greenville and Easley.

I am a LEO with the Greenville P.D. and have been in law enforcement for 26 years next month.

Zoom Wilson - what happened to your wife is pure BULL!!!! You need to contact your state rep and complain to him. The Highway Patrol is still highly political. LEO's cannot keep a person detained for an unreasonable amount of time. In all the training I have had recently that is defined as no more than 1 hour - and that damn well better include some really good suspecion.

I have some contact with the Grassroots organization but have not been real impressed with anything I have see so far, but I guess it beats nothing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2001 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Grass Roots is a more radical in your face type crowd. They seem to ruffle feathers more than GOSC. It may work, but I feel that the general public will not be very responsive to this approach. That said. I am a member. Any representation is good.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top