Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2003 7:38:45 AM EDT
I post here a fair amount under my real username.

I am using a new name for reasons that should be clear.

I am a real supporter of the right to bear arms. I am a professional who worked for a mid sized company.

I support gun rights on a local and county level and volunteer at the local range. About a year ago the head of the company started making statements about how guns were bad and so forth, and how his wife(!) opposed them. Then he started questioning me at meetings and at lunches about my gun range activites.

I could have taken the hints and stopped supporting guns, but I don't back down from what I believe in.

Then I started hearing from others in his office that he was going to the owners and telling them I was weird and had illegal guns. Then came his overt threat to my job.

I had already been looking, but with the downturn couldn't find anything even though my field has been hit less hard than others.

The final act of the play was getting fired, which was converted into 'resigning' in return for for a few months pay. I thought I was screwed, but just then at my lowest point a new job appeared at a better company, with slightly more money and better people.

I want to shout this company's evil from the rooftops to all pro-gunners, but my field is very scandal adverse and any hint of a problem would blackball me for sure. The reason the company gave me the option to resign and get pay, even though the boss hated me, was that they were afraid it would get out they fired someone.

So, my AR-15 brothers are the only folks I can tell this to. Anti's suck!

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:46:22 AM EDT
[#2]
consult an attorney!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#3]
"False accusations causing loss of job, income, sleep,... slander"
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, it behooves all of us to keep a low profile at work. There are a lot of stupid people out there(people who actually tried to recreate scences from JackAss, laying on the dividing median of a road etc). These people only believe what the news media feeds them, of course, when there is no riots or civil disorders, they reason why do you need guns and 10,000 rounds of ammo. I used to go shooting at an indoor range during lunch time, and my friends and I got reported to HR for having guns on company premises(we had our guns in the car). These people are truly concerned about a shoot-out at work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Scandal & Blackballed...are you in the financial business, stocks?
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 7:58:48 AM EDT
[#6]
You were harrassed out of a job, regardless of the fact that you ended up with a better job.

The horse is out of the barn on this one, but any employee that is being harrassed in this manner should go to great lengths to document every occurence. If you really want to shake things up, carry a little notepad with you and jot down notes on what the harrasser says to you while he's actually saying it. If they question your motive, just tell them that you want to have a good account, just in case.

I used top work with a girl that was always getting inappropriate comments from an indirect supervisor. This was back in the 80s before the enlightened age. She started writing things down when this creep would commentr to her, in front of him. Within a week, he requested a transfer out of the department, but couldn't give a clear reason why. The department head started asking questions, and my friend spilled. The guy was fired and a restraining order placed against him by the company prohibiting from coming on any company property in the state. Asshole.

The guy that fired you did so with malice, IMHO. He should be spanked.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys sound like a bunch of communists.  His boss should be able to fired him for any reason he wants - unless it's one of those commie states that protects workers, or if "JoblessWonder" had been in an evil godless Union.

Good luck with lawsuits and complaints (even if he was willing to risk the reputation) unless you are a member of a protected class.

[;)]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, it behooves all of us to keep a low profile at work.
View Quote

Horse poop!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just go back in there some Monday morning (snip)xx xxx xxxx xxxxx (snip).
View Quote

Dude - don't forget the smiley on posts like that so that people like HANGFIRE know you're joking!  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Just another reason to own your own business. I do as I wish, say what I want, grow the hair long (I'm in computer networking so this is accepted) and If I support the right to bear arms, or arm bears or whatever the F*CK I want, nobody can tell me otherwise.

You're right to keep a low profile, but we have nothing to be ashamed of. Anti's not only suck...they swallow.

Thanks for letting me vent....
Signed,

The normally quiet and reserved Kurt_Austin.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive been on both side of the fence on this, a number of times as the employer, and DK-Prof, is generally correct from what little I see in this instance. Every situation is unique though.

I am constantly amazed that the outcomes of events, which people will often do everything in their power to avoid, is better than they had dreamed. I have a number of friends, who have gotten themselves in tough scrapes, only to come out sterling. Been true for myself as well.

Im glad it worked out well for you, but not particular surprised.

Oh, and if the Hun will take a WT case contingent, why not pursue it. ;)

Luck
Alac

Most things can be worked out in a pinch... There are three notable exceptions, of which you must be absolutely convinced, prior to your necessity, of their ultimate performance: your doctor, your attorney and your gun.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:26:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Well keep up the fight as much as possible, you gotta take care of your family,
             Good Luck on the new job,
                    FREE
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good luck with your new job.  I'm glad it worked out for you.  

On a side note, I'd like to not give any money to your former company.  Maybe you should tell us who you worked for [:D]

-Gloftoe
View Quote

DITTO!

IM us if you must but I want to know what company [b]doesn't[/b] want my business.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:03:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Why should he have to keep it under the table? The asshole slandered him, then wrongfully terminated him, under the guise of "resignation." Go ahead and post the company's name.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#17]
They meant it for evil..it turned out for your good.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The final act of the play was getting fired, which was converted into 'resigning' in return for for a few months pay.
View Quote

Why are you telling us?  Sounds like you could not take the heat and quit.  You should have made them fire you.

I want to shout this company's evil from the rooftops to all pro-gunners, but my field is very scandal adverse and any hint of a problem would blackball me for sure.
View Quote

Then why bring it up at all?  It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

The reason the company gave me the option to resign and get pay, even though the boss hated me, was that they were afraid it would get out they fired someone.
View Quote

So you are saying you were a good employee, but the boss did not like your views?  What make this different from most people who get fired?

So, my AR-15 brothers are the only folks I can tell this to. Anti's suck!
View Quote

Then fight back!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top