Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 4/18/2016 4:17:21 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation before?

Basically for no certain reason I can think of, I have just flat out failed at the gym lately. I have been going 3x a week, nearly every week, for 1.5 yrs. About a month ago I had a super busy weekend planned, and was feeling beat up anyway (due for a deload), so I took a week off. Came back the next week and was feeling exhausted. Have been eating the same food, no difference in sleep that I know of, no injuries, etc. The only thing I can think of is that work is draining me. 80-100hrs OT/month, currently required to work every other weekend, lots of problems to deal with while there. When I say failing at the gym, normally I'd squat something like 135x5 (5), 190x5 (3), 225x5 (1). I haven't even been attempting the last set, and that is even if i can finish 3 sets of 190.

I have lost some weight but that was planned, went from 210 last year, currently 185-190. Just recently started running again, I ran 2 miles tonight, so I do have some energy left. But this was also my weekend off, so I got to do yardwork instead of real work. A couple nights ago I was very tired after 12hrs at work, I came home and slept 9 hours. When I woke up, I felt like I had been beat with a ball bat. I rarely get that much sleep(usually 6 or 7), I'd try to get more but its nearly impossible to get over 9 hours.

TL,DR notes- Can't lift heavy anymore, feeling beat up, not sure why
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:59:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By JoshD:

Basically for no certain reason I can think of, I have just flat out failed at the gym lately. I have been going 3x a week, nearly every week, for 1.5 yrs. About a month ago I had a super busy weekend planned, and was feeling beat up anyway (due for a deload), so I took a week off. Came back the next week and was feeling exhausted. Have been eating the same food, no difference in sleep that I know of, no injuries, etc. The only thing I can think of is that work is draining me. 80-100hrs OT/month, currently required to work every other weekend, lots of problems to deal with while there. When I say failing at the gym, normally I'd squat something like 135x5 (5), 190x5 (3), 225x5 (1). I haven't even been attempting the last set, and that is even if i can finish 3 sets of 190.

I have lost some weight but that was planned, went from 210 last year, currently 185-190. Just recently started running again, I ran 2 miles tonight, so I do have some energy left. But this was also my weekend off, so I got to do yardwork instead of real work. A couple nights ago I was very tired after 12hrs at work, I came home and slept 9 hours. When I woke up, I felt like I had been beat with a ball bat. I rarely get that much sleep(usually 6 or 7), I'd try to get more but its nearly impossible to get over 9 hours.

View Quote

How old are you? Had blood work done recently?

You may want to think about it.

Maybe the OT is to much.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:58:45 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE:

Maybe the OT is to much.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WHITE_WOLFE:
Originally Posted By JoshD:

Maybe the OT is to much.

Good point, how old and have you checked your T levels? Sounds like low T could be it.

You can check your T levels on your own for about 56 bucks, no doc needed.

http://www.privatemdlabs.com/lp/Female_Hormone_Testing.php

Yes it is the female hormone panel, but when you check out and put that you are a male it will change the references to the male.

Google privatemdlabs coupon code and you will find 15% off.

Pay online, no doc needed, and they email you the results in about 24-36 hours.

Easy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:18:42 PM EDT
I wish that female test ran free T as well. Total, free, and E for $56. That would be nice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:30:42 PM EDT
Sounds like chronic fatigue to me. Lots of work, not a lot of sleep, then you added in running to your lifting. Cut back on your exercise and try to get more rest. If you don't feel better in a couple weeks, see your doc.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:48:07 PM EDT
Did you increase your food intake to account for the running you added in?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:04:57 PM EDT
Eat More, increase hydration, maybe try a Magnesium supplement before bed.

Sometimes I have seen it to lack of salt intake
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:35:24 AM EDT
What's your caffeine intake?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:21:50 AM EDT
I am currently 33.

Have not really added running to my routine, just went running lately instead of lifting because it seems less taxing on the body than heavy lifts, and I also have an OCR coming up and my cardio sucks.

Caffeine intake is probably pretty high. I don't drink sodas anymore, but probably have 4-8 cups of coffee a night (I work 2pm to 2am).
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:07:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 12:12:46 PM EDT by dataflux]
Take a couple weeks off everything, try and cut way back on the caffeine. If you're open to the hippy stuff try some Rhodiola and Eleuthero (from a good quality brand). https://examine.com/supplements/adaptogen/
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/20/2016 12:26:05 PM EDT by thormx538]
Stress causes cortisol to skyrocket, which is very taxing on your system. I'd bet it's the stress from work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:24:23 AM EDT
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try to cut back on the coffee, and get as much sleep as I can. I had also been eating fairly low carbs for quite a while, I'm gonna up that a bit (brown rice or sweet potatotes).

And probably most importantly, gonna try to not sweat the small stuff at work
Top Top