Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2008 5:27:17 PM EST
The restaurant I have been working in as a Chef for the last year has decided to close its doors permanently on the 31st, so I am a bit bummed out this evening. They said that they didn't want to tell us before Christmas, but I almost wish they had said something weeks ago so I could have been looking for a new job. We aren't getting any severance or anything like that, so I will have to make sure to find work very soon to keep up with everything. The owners are great people so I have no bad feelings over the situation, but it always sucks to lose your job right before the holidays. My coworkers were the best I've ever had, I'll miss working with them more than I'll miss the paycheck. I'm glad I am not one of those people who spend tons of money on Christmas gifts, so I'm not looking too bad if I can't find work right away. I guess I will have to try to enjoy the holidays with my family and think about finding work in the New Year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:30:17 PM EST
Shitty. Good luck finding something new
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:36:46 PM EST
Hang in there the same happened to me last year 12/12/07 I got a BETTER job in less than a month. Get your unemployment stuff done ASAP take a week or two to get your head straight and then give it hell Good luck and try to have a Merry Christmas (at least you wont have to work over the holidays) treat yourself right and don't let yourself get bummed out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:38:43 PM EST
You're a chef ...you will find work
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:39:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By TheTracker:
You're a chef ...you will find work

This. But it sucks looking. Hang in there and best of luck to ya!
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:48:16 PM EST
Shitty news, but I'm sure you'll get something. Best of luck to you, and don't let it get you too down... this too shall pass, you know?

Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:56:42 PM EST
The owners are well known in the area and said they would help us find new jobs, that is very generous of them. I'm sure I'll find something new soon, but I'm going to send my unemployment paperwork in asap.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 5:57:31 PM EST
Sorry to hear it. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:10:20 PM EST
I run a plant of just under 200 employees. I make it a point to inform the entire staff of the foreseeable future. What I do to them probably affects at least 900 other people related to them.

I think it is sickening and selfish of owners/ managers not to allow its employees and their families as much prep time as possible to include putting off any large purchases, if they needed to.

Let's face it, most do not have several months in cash savings to carry them through.

I wish the OP the best and better bosses in the future.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:19:00 PM EST
Very sorry to hear that especially this time of year. You will find a better job I bet. Things happen for a reason, right? I am fortunate to work in a pretty recession-proof job called the criminal justice field
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:23:49 PM EST
Originally Posted By toddlerp:
I think it is sickening and selfish of owners/ managers not to allow its employees and their families as much prep time as possible to include putting off any large purchases, if they needed to.

Well said. The owners were selfish - no doubt about it. They were going to let the workers come back following Christmas and drop this news on everyone? They just wanted to keep the employees working and making them money until they decided when to call it quits.

Don't quit now. You'll want to get unemployment.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:35:27 PM EST
Good luck man. I'm wondering how long I'll have my job right now.
Link Posted: 12/23/2008 6:37:07 PM EST
that sucks.

Good luck on finding a new job.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:13:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By MrKandiyohi:
Originally Posted By toddlerp:

They just wanted to keep the employees working and making them money until they decided when to call it quits.

This is what I think too, as I was supposed to receive a $5.50 raise at the beginning of this month and was told that they could only afford $1 for this month but they would give me the rest when the restaurant opened up again in February. I accepted this as they have been good to me in the past and I like my coworkers. Fuck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:32:41 AM EST
I got RIF'd on 09 DEC 08. I hope you find something.

I'm thinking HARD about a career change.

I'm TIRED of sales.

I think I'm going to become a teacher!
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 10:33:43 AM EST
Merry Xmas!
Top Top