Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 7:32:56 PM EDT
Here's a story that's sure to please all of you:

First, you have to understand NJ gun laws a bit.  In order to purchase long guns (including BB/Pellet even Airsoft) you must go to your local PD, plunk down $55 and some fingerprints, and then wait anywhere from 30 days (the law) to as long as 6 or 9 months (the reality in some towns).  You then get a Firearms ID card (FAID).  This grants you the privelage of paying a $15 NICS fee every time you buy a long gun.

OK, here's the story:  A close friend of mine recently moved from one town (that town originally issued his FAID after making him wait 6 months) into another town.  He goes to his new local PD this week to have the address changed on his FAID.  This is necessary because you must show both your FAID and your driver's license when purchasing a gun and the addresses on both must match exactly.  Well, they told him that they will not process an address change.  If he wants to have a valid FAID he must start the process all over again from scratch.  Another $55, set of fingerprints, 3 personal reference forms filled out by other people, and (as if that wasn't enough) they told him that they will not issue it to him for AT LEAST 10 months and after that period of time has passed it will only be issued when the chief feels like signing the card, which could take up to 3 additional months.

When he asked why he had to go through the whole process again for an address change, they told him that was their policy.  When he asked why their policy contradicts state law, they told him to leave the police station immediately or they would lock him up.  (after asking another close friend who is a cop I found out that you can be locked up for "disorderly persons" for almost no reason at all)

I can't tell you how bad I want to move to PA...  

Speaking of which, any of you PA residents got suggestions on nice towns to live in?  It has to be eastern PA very close to the river as both my and my wife's jobs are in NJ.  Also, not too far north (like, langhorne to new hope as far as south/north go)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:48:12 PM EDT
[#1]
We have our own state sponsored terrorism but  the bad guys wear uniforms...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a current resident of Northwest Philadelphia- the Germantown/Mt. Airy area.  You're close to highways leading into and away from the center city area.  Langehorne is also very nice considering it's so close to I95 and Rt 1.  But you'll pay big $$$ to live in Bucks county- taxes, high real estate costs.  Ultimately, I myself plan on settling somewhere in the northeast philadlephia area.

If you're not the urban type, I would also suggest Lancaster county (living there for most my life).  I know it's not close to NJ (sorry) There's been an influx of commercial interest and real estate is still relatively low.  Additionally, there's a more republican voice out there.  Not to mention many many many local gun ranges.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:14:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Have your friend contact Evan Nappen or get in touch with The Coalition of NJ Sportsman. They will fix his his problem ASAP. I like you can't wait to get the F out of this New World Order State!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]

you might check out morrisville and yardley..some nice areas along the river too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Have your friend contact Evan Nappen or get in touch with The Coalition of NJ Sportsman. They will fix his his problem ASAP. I like you can't wait to get the F out of this New World Order State!
View Quote

I told him he really should get a lawyer but he, like so many others, is losing his job soon and doesn't have any money.  I know OF Evan Nappen and, given his prestige, I wouldn't think he'd come cheap...
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't SEPTA run routes into Jersey. You might consider that if you move. You should and I would definitely get the hell out of PRNJ.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Couldn't Tony Soprano help you?  He's in NJ.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:46:04 PM EDT
[#8]
This can't be, this stuff only happens in California.

The California way of life -- coming to a state near you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:01:10 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was in NJ (Newark, Cranbury) in 1997, I had to ask myself, "How can a state with so many monuments to the Revolutionary War produce such insane gun laws?" It just doesn't make sense. But then I went to a little diner and had a breakfast one can only dream of in CA and realized it ain't all bad. In fact, I liked the place. It sucks to have to leave the place you love. It just isn't right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:10:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, its time for you to pack it in. Here in Virginia we have instant check. Walk in, walk out. If you  have a clean record its as simple as that. Getting a concealed carry permit is also straightforward.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:28:45 AM EDT
[#12]
And people think n.y. is bad?????...[>:/]
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#13]
If your work is near the Acela routes, then you can try that too. Amtrak's Acela Express is supposed to run from Washington, D.C. to Boston via Maryland, Deleware, Philadelphia, [b]New Jersey[/b], New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The Current Metroliner runs from Philadelphia I believe to New York via New Jersey.

In short, there should be plenty of Mass Transit options to get from Pennsylvania or even Virginia to New Jersey.

I am considering where I'll move when I graduate in May (unless War intercedes) and put alot of consideration into being within reach of the Acela lines. If you don't know, Acela is Amtrak's new Bullet Trains (150 MPH.) I figured I could live near Philadelphia, PA; Richmond, VA; Manassas, VA, etc. and still retain my gun rights while having the career opportunities provided in areas such as Washington, New York and Boston
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 3:30:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Sad, very sad....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top