Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2004 7:35:29 AM EDT
So, I lost my wedding ring that incidentally my wife spent a good deal of money on.  And now, I can already tell that I will NEVER get forgiveness for this one.

Placate me please and be honest - who else has lost their wedding ring?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had my ring off three times since we were married:  twice while moving concrete yard furniture, once when  we were at a jewelry store and they offered to polish it.  BTW, I prefer it scuffed to "like new polish."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:59:32 AM EDT
[#2]

What should I do for reparations?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:43:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope, because it's in a Safety deposit box.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  
We believe it was either stolen at a party, or carried off/eaten by the cat.
Luckily I bought a relatively inexpensive ring ($300).
I did that because I knew I'd lose it eventually, or damage it while doing manly construction type stuff.
I rarely take it off, lately.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Oh come on, give me some help guys.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]
How much is a new BMW now?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:44:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Iv'e never lost my wedding ring. I never take it off either. What should you do? Sit your wife down and be complely honest with her. Don't grovel OR ask forgiveness. Just tell her you lost it and looked everywhere for it. I don't know how long you have been married, but I'd suggest mentioning a renewing of your vows, just with a new ring. That will show here that you really care for the ring and her and your still in charge. (unless your not).
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks, advice taken
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Where's the option for "Yes, I lost my first wedding ring, and after that my second one. After that, didn't bother getting another. Wich is good cause I didn't like the way it rubbed on the guitar neck anyhow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My dad lost his wedding ring a year or so after he got married, he lost it in the field during Special Forces School at Ft. Bragg, he spent three weekends driving out to the field site looking for it, but never found it. It took years for my mom to forgive him, but she eventually got over it. He finally got a new one shortly after he retired from the Army (I guess he figured he would rather not wear one and avoid the risk of facing that wrath again.

There were a couple of guys on the ships that I was stationed on that would wear them on a chain while underway.  Then there were the guys who just left them off while in liberty ports.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:42:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I heave even bought one yet....maybe on our 20 year Anniversary.

MT
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell her that you'll get a new ring when you get a new wife.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I lost mine while white water canoing in the Platte River in Denver, CO. Luckily my wife was with me so she knows it was the truth. I guess the cold water made my fingers shrink and it slid righ off when we flipped the canoe. Strange thing was that my Oakly M frames stayed on my face but my ring was gone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have my original wedding ring, but my bro-in-law lost his on the first day of his marriage(they've been married for 24 years now). They're dentists and my sis cast his out of 18K dental gold and she didn't have time to size the ring to his finger, when they were driving down the street, he put his hand out the window and off it came, forever gone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, two times.

Found my original, now it sets in the wife's jewelry box.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Lost it.
Found it ten years later.

GM
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:09:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I havent lost my ring yet, but I do occasionally leave it at work. I dont like to wear my ring while Im typing on the keyboard, so I take it off and put it over the "Escape" key in the upper left of the keyboard. It fits over it perfectly and since Its the key you probably use the least, it doesnt get in the way of typing. I do this at home as well. It helps me remember where to find it if I ever do forget to put it back on. Its been a running joke now with coworkers that there is some irony behind the fact that I use the "ESCAPE" key to hold onto my wedding band. Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I lost my ring shortly after returning from the honeymoon.  Actually, I took it off to scrub my hands and left it in the bathroom at a mine.  When I realized what I had done, I went back for it, and it was gone.  No big deal, though when I replaced it I was pissed to find out that the price I originally paid (from a mall jeweler) was about double what I could get it for from a discount house.  For precisely the same 14kt gold band.

My wife isn't that hung up on the symbols.  She didn't even want a diamond.  We have simple matching bands (just hers is so much smaller it fits inside of mine.)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Lost mine, bought a new one.

Marty
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Lost it......gone for 1 year found it under the dryer when we moved.........Made our day.....I got Lucky if you know what I mean
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I've lost my ring a couple times.  Once, I took it off and put it in my pocket at the driving range because it was killing my finger.  I forgot about it, and when I took my keys out of my pocket to get back into the car it must have fell out.  I realized it later the next day... retraced my steps in my head and checked back at the driving range.  Someone had found it and turned it in at the pro shop!!

Another time I was working on my wife's car, and my ring fell off while I was loading/unloading a bunch of stuff in the back (tools and stuff).  I fell down into a crack and I didn't find it for about a month.

7 years later and I still have it!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#24]
15 years and only removed once for a operation, IV was going into left hand and swelling can be a problem
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So, I lost my wedding ring that incidentally my wife spent a good deal of money on.  And now, I can already tell that I will NEVER get forgiveness for this one.

Placate me please and be honest - who else has lost their wedding ring?

Did you take it off while going to a stripper bar ?  If so, I have no compassion for you.  I once found a wedding ring outside the front door of a stripper bar one night.  One of the guys I went there with sold it the next day for $35 to a jewelry store.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep . Had it riped right off my finger by a line . I almost lost my finger ,but I ended up just spraining it .
No biggy . She just took her boy friend with her to buy me a new one .
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 3 rings...One nice but not too expensive for dress....one a little cheaper but made from titanium and durable as hell....for the range, camping, sports, etc........and one cheapo silver thing that I wear rock climbing that i can abuse the shit out of...havent lost any of them yet......but I havent had much time yet either
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, lost mine last week. Still havent gotten a replacement. Wife knows, said I'll just have to get another. I always take it off whenever I wash my hands so I can drive my hand under the ring and so it doesn't "spin or slip" on my finger, that drives me NUTS. I knew I'd lose it sooner or later doing that......

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#30]
the first wench I was going to marry, lost my gold bracelet that was given to me by my dearly departed grandmother.  I discovered she didn't have it anymore and she said she lost it and was hoping I wouldn't find out.  wtf?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:24:26 PM EDT
[#31]
yeah I lost mine and I was more bothered by it than she was. Last holiday season my bride buys me a new one (3 years after I lost my original one)

THE VERY NEXT DAY I was cleaning my truck, getting it ready to sell, took the seat out and FOUND IT!!! Cleaned it and now its in the safe. I keep the second one on. just a plain ol' gold band.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I did not lose my wedding band, but I lost my engagement ring. I was so devastated, that my husband couldn't really get annoyed with me. I lost if four years ago, and still hope it will turn up. I keep hoping it will show up mixed in with boxes of holiday trimming, and in the pockets of old clothes it could have been washed with. I don't know how I lost it. He did buy me a beautiful anniversary band last year to make up for it. It is bigger and more expensive, but you just can't replace the original.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Oh come on, give me some help guys.

You have two options.
#1 Be a man and tell her straight up. "Honey, I lost my ring. Help me find it, or help me pick out a new one." She may bitch and moan, but the longer you wait, the worse it gets. Trust me.

#2 Be a sneak and go buy another one fast. Go back to the same jewlery store you got the first one, so they can get an exact match. But this is like "Mission Impossible" and if you get caught you are dead.

I vote option #1. Less risk and you can erase any bad feelings on her part if you buy her something at the jewelry store. "Honey, why don't you pick out a little something while we are here."
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I lost mine a couple of months after my wedding.

We got a little snow one day, and my very late-addition-to-the-family baby brother, who was a month away from being 9 years old at the time, wanted to go sledding. My wife and I took him to a nice big hill near the university campus (if you are familiar with Clemson U., you probably know the place -- the dike across the road from the baseball field).

Anyway, we sledded for a while, and as we were about to leave, I realized that my wedding band was missing. I searched for a while, then went and got a metal detector and searched a wide area of the hill where we had been sledding from top to bottom. Took quite a while. Lots of hits with the detector, but no ring (and nothing else very interesting, though I didn't dig at all) The light snow cover was melting and the bottom of the hill was getting pretty muddy. My parents came out and looked around for a while. No luck.

I was at the bottom of the hill, trying to decide if another metal-detector sweep would be worthwhile when I heard my mom yelling for me. She was at the top of the hill, waving her arm in the air.

She had found my ring, right up top. The day had warmed up and a lot of the snow had melted. She was casually looking around and saw it up there. The snow had melted from around it, but it was still full of snow, she said. I was so happy to have it back. I had almost given up hope of finding it.

I figure that I must have pulled it off with my gloves, or I pulled it off my finger when I wasn't wearing gloves one of the times I uncrossed my arms.

My wife was with me when I lost it and helped me hunt it, but she would have been cool about even if she hadn't been there.

BeetleBailey,
My recommendation is just to tell your wife what happened. You weren't up to something you shouldn't have been when you lost it, were you?Land
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I never had one lost, but had to replace one.

I was using some "Gun Scrubber" to clean a handgun one warm day and got some between my ring and my finger.  My finger started to burn and itch under my ring so I took the ring off.  I had blistered where the ring was on my finger.  After the blister went away I put the ring on again and as soon as I began to sweat under the ring the blister came back.  This time I scrubbed the ring very well with soap and water, but no matter how good I cleaned it, as soon as I put it back on it would blister my finger in a couple of days.  The wife didn't care for me to be without so she bought me another and the original is in her jewel box.  I won't use "Gun Scrubber" or brake cleaner again without gloves on and the ring off (I don't think she'll be as understanding if I ruin another ring).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top