Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 1/13/2015 12:12:19 AM EDT
The Washington Post

SAN YSIDRO, Calif. — Mexican traffickers are sending a flood of cheap heroin and methamphetamine across the U.S. border, the latest drug seizure statistics show, in a new sign that America’s marijuana decriminalization trend is upending the North American narcotics trade.

The amount of cannabis seized by U.S. federal, state and local officers along the boundary with Mexico has fallen 37?percent since 2011, a period during which American marijuana consumers have increasingly turned to the more potent, higher-grade domestic varieties cultivated under legal and quasi-legal protections in more than two dozen U.S. states.

Made-in-the-USA marijuana is quickly displacing the cheap, seedy, hard-packed version harvested by the bushel in Mexico’s Sierra Madre mountains. That has prompted Mexican drug farmers to plant more opium poppies, and the sticky brown and black “tar” heroin they produce is channeled by traffickers into the U.S. communities hit hardest by prescription painkiller abuse, off­ering addicts a $10 alternative to $80-a-pill oxycodone.

“Legalization of marijuana for recreational use has given U.S. consumers access to high-quality marijuana, with genetically improved strains, grown in greenhouses,” said Raul Benitez-Manaut, a drug-war expert at Mexico’s National Autonomous University. “That’s why the Mexican cartels are switching to heroin and meth.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:13:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Someone here brought this up a while ago.  Very interesting stuff.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Not to worry.............

Americans are looking for "harder drugs" now that MJ is legal most everywhere.   And, using the same arguments...........Americans will find reasons to legalize them too.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Time to buy more trench coat pockets!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
So if we legalize heroin and meth the border violence will end?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#5]
As a former dope prosecutor I cannot believe these lies for one second!!!  Lies I tell you!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
It's almost as if drug prohibition is working the same way as alcohol prohibition.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
They started with meth after states/feds passed pseudoephedrine laws. Meth has been cheaper and much purer for quite awhile now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Obviously the answer would be to make heroin and meth illegal.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#10]
lulz
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Mexicans are actually starting to smuggle American weed into Mexico because of the superior quality.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#12]

First, cheap gas and now cheap Heroin!!!

That's awesome.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

First, cheap gas and now cheap Heroin!!!

That's awesome.  

View Quote

The salad days of smack are upon us.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:23:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There has been a huge, huge increase in herione use, I think that was unrelated. meth is pretty easy to cook up yourself if you are about avoiding one person buying too much cold medicine over a short time period, so I guess that's a surprise.

I suspect at some point the Feds are going to swoop in on. A bunch of the Colorado pot places after they find out that tons of that pot is going to NYC
View Quote

I read a lot of otc opiate addicts are jumping to heroin, cheaper than buying black market pain pills.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:23:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:23:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Unpossible. GD told me that legalizing marijuana would have no effect on the cartels.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There has been a huge, huge increase in herione use, I think that was unrelated. meth is pretty easy to cook up yourself if you are about avoiding one person buying too much cold medicine over a short time period, so I guess that's a surprise.

I suspect at some point the Feds are going to swoop in on. A bunch of the Colorado pot places after they find out that tons of that pot is going to NYC just about every state where its still illegal.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
It's almost comical how people refuse to see the fallacy in drug bans.

Almost.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
LOL at Mexico, we grow better pot and have been for years. We'll just make better meth and heroin too. USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#20]
We better make marijuana extra illegal so we can increase the cartel profit margins.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:41:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Legalize everything.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:42:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Legalize everything.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:44:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, and we win the war on drugs

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

We were promised that with pot legalization.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#25]
We need to stop trying to legislate vices.  Criminal law should worry about behavior that has a victim.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Americans are looking for "harder drugs" now that MJ is legal most everywhere.   And, using the same arguments...........Americans will find a reasons to legalize them too.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote

The reason MJ should be legal is the same reason other drugs should be legal:

It isn't the government's job to outlaw the possession or use of drugs.

Those are big boy decisions that, in a free country, we leave up to adults to make for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Legalize everything.
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:49:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might be a few less "isolated incidents" if they actually did legalize it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:50:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Those are big boy decisions that, in a free country, we leave up to adults to make for themselves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Americans are looking for "harder drugs" now that MJ is legal most everywhere.   And, using the same arguments...........Americans will find a reasons to legalize them too.

Aloha, Mark

Freedom is scary, so I'm looking to trade some of it away for a feeling of security.  [/half of arfcom]

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I suspect at some point the Feds are going to swoop in on. A bunch of the Colorado pot places after they find out that tons of that pot is going to NYC
View Quote

I am certain all the pot in North and South Dakota is coming from Colorado.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:52:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I read a lot of otc opiate addicts are jumping to heroin, cheaper than buying black market pain pills.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Heroin is big because Oxy is now made so you can't snort it or cook it for injection.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:53:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:53:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No you weren't.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:54:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Capitalism. How does It work?

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:58:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I guess SW NH/Vermont has a huge heroin problem
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I disagree. Heroin is all over high schools here, like marijuana was decades ago. There has been a basic shift in who uses it, or a broadening  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heroin is big because Oxy is now made so you can't snort it or cook it for injection.
I disagree. Heroin is all over high schools here, like marijuana was decades ago. There has been a basic shift in who uses it, or a broadening  

It's the cheapest option available for a number of reasons, most of them involving the government.  Cracking down on pill mills, changes in how the pills are made, probably other stuff too.

Cheaper than beer.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:59:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We just had a 3 million dollar heroin bust in North Dakota, the biggest on record for us. People were saying we need to keep pot illegal so people dont do heroin.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:00:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
We just had a 3 million dollar heroin bust in North Dakota, the biggest on record for us. People were saying we need to keep pot illegal so people dont do heroin.
View Quote

That's absurd.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:01:31 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Freedom is scary, so I'm looking to trade some of it away for a feeling of security.  [/half of arfcom]

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

Take away the "Govt Handouts" to all the families (and kids)............and I'll be all for LEAGALIZATION and FREE CHOICE of whatever drugs one wants.

Til then.........I want my tax money spent on curbing the stupidness.

Aloha, Mark

PS..... It's already bad, that the Govt pays alcoholics SSDI money for being an alcoholic.  What's the next logical step? Money for Drug Abusers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that really an argument people make?  That if you legalize marijuana, more people will try heroin?
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Time to buy more trench coat pockets!
View Quote
Dope Wars has been on every version of TI 80 series calculators I have owned. It's on my TI84 buried in a box somewhere.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:03:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

The only promise that was made was that legalizing pot would take that form of revenue away from the drug cartels and once it became a legitimate business.

Everyone knows that the main source of drug revenue coming from South of the borderr is coke, meth, heroin, coming North and other drugs, with cash and weapons flowing South with human trafficking in between.

Taking out the smallest source of revenue, with the largest foot print in bulk wasn't going to effect the violence one bit.

You're floating a turd of a bullshit argument, that is so completely ludicrous it barely deserves acknowledgement.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:03:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's absurd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's absurd.

Mindset of the drug warriors is absolutely absurd.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Americans are looking for "harder drugs" now that MJ is legal most everywhere.   And, using the same arguments...........Americans will find reasons to legalize them too.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Cite please

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Realistically though, is someone who wasn't planning on shooting heroin going to go buy a bag now because it's 15% cheaper?

"Yeah bro, I'd really like to shoot some dope with you, but I think I'll wait until the market experiences a correction."
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:04:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's absurd.

Nothing but job protection at this point.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:04:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Unpossible. GD told me that legalizing marijuana would have no effect on the cartels.
View Quote
Actually, a number of posters thought MJ legalization would put the cartels out of business.

Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Take away the "Govt Handouts" to all the families (and kids)............and I'll be all for LEAGALIZATION and FREE CHOICE of whatever drugs one wants.

Aloha, Mark
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aloha, Mark

Aloha, Mark

So you want government to spend less of your money on welfare but you want it to keep spending your money on the WoD?

Personally, I'd like to see it stop spending money on both of those things.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top