Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 1:29:07 PM EDT
I thought this was a great movie. some complained the ending sucked (the Harry Potter fans), but the ending is no different then the book, which i think is spiffy-a cliff hanger ending. its been along time since i read any of Tolkien so i cant say if the movie was as close to the book as possible. i would say that it was quite entertaining and much better then 80% of the other crap that comes out with a fantasy motiff (Dungeons and Dragons come to mind).

I liked the film enough to want to actually pay $7 bucks to see it again; as opposed to seeing it for free during a film preview [;)]

The only complaints that i could think of are that the Dwarf's background is somewhat sketchy and confusing. where are his people? The Elven witch of Lorien came off as weird and confusing; i did'nt understand what she was saying to Frodo at the mirror.

Fight scenes were quite exciting. I particularly liked the young blonde elf with the bow. want to know why? just watch the movie.[:D]

Agent smith from the Matrix played the part of the elven leader of Rivendell. i like hearing his voice for some reason. never thought he'd make a good elf.

Ringless lib

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:32:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm so jelouse you got to see it already.  I can't wait. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I am so pumped up to see this movie!  I have read "The Lord of the Rings" about 4 times.  It has been about 10 years since I've read it, so I have started again.  I hope to have the "The Fellowship of the Ring" done before I see the movie.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
as far as being being pissed at the ending u got to remember this is just ONE of a series of 3! i cant wait to c it must to c it

i still say LOTR will smash  Harry Potter! if it wasnt for LOTR legions of D&D fans would never exsist!
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw it today...excellent movie.  I thought perhaps Gandalf's dialogue was a bit too self-consciously "epic" but aside from that, it was awesome.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw it this morning and highly recomend it.

The actor playing Gandolf should be given an academy award.

Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
As to the actor who played Gandalf, he is a legend of the British stage.  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44528-2001Dec14.html has a story talking about his history.

Just don't bend over in the shower when he's around.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
 It was said from the outset that the story was changed a little along the way in the interests of dramatic clarity and for the sake of brevity.
 If they attempted to include all of Tolkiens detail, the movie would be two weeks long!!
 I thought that there should have been more detail about the history of the members of the fellowship. Origins, a little more history, or something along those lines.
 The bulk of the dialogue is lifted directly from the book, and it was cool to kind of quote along with the picture ala Rocky Horror.
 The part about Arwens ride from the Nazgul, and Aragorns conversation with Boromir before his death were a departure from the book, but I thought that they were acceptable and actually added to the movie.
 Overall, I was quite pleased with the treatment that they gave to the story. Remember that up until now, al that we have had are the books themselves, and a cartoon.....
 I am going again this weekend to see it again.

Chuck

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:03:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I only wish that they had been that faithful to the book with Star Ship troppers [:(]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top