Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 11:18:55 PM EDT
story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&e=1&u=/nm/20040911/ts_nm/weather_ivan_dc

KINGSTON, Jamaica (Reuters) - Powerful Hurricane Ivan roared into Jamaica with huge waves, drenching rains and deadly winds on Friday and sporadic shooting erupted in the near-deserted streets of the capital as looters went on the prowl.

SNIP

Half a million Jamaicans, over one-sixth of the population were urged to evacuate low-lying areas as Ivan approached. But many held out, vowing to protect their homes from looters.

As fierce winds lashed Kingston, robbers held up emergency workers at gunpoint. A doctor was shot and taken to hospital.

Brilliant people... those Jamaicans.  I have never understood looting.  I guess I never will.  It's just not part of my natural instincts.  Shooting looters is tho.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looters are scum of the Earth. Shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#2]
what did you expect?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:26:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

... How ya gonna do that if your gubmint don't permit firearms?
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Touche.

Though sounds like some people have em there...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I was there last month on my honeymoon and it's amazing how they live down there.  They have no respect for anything or anyone.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Touche.

Though sounds like some people have em there...

No you see, if guns are banned, nobody will have guns! Duh!

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what did you expect?

Exacty . . . . no suprise here!  Its not a Jamaica thing, its a "human nature thing."  Millions and millions of human beings across the world do not engage in criminal activity soley out of fear of getting caught . . . . .  When circumstances allow them to act without consequence, this is what you get.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Will this affect the ganja crop adversely?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If Jamaica had sensible looting laws none of this would be happening.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Jamaica.....there's a place I'll never go to again.  We were warned that we should stick to the touristy areas because the natives aren't friendly.  I agree.  Too many fucking whackos there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand how Jamaica has any tourist industry left at all.  The people are scary and violent and you MUST stay where you belong.  Make a mistake and have  a bad experience.  I don't get it with so many alternatives for vacation.  Must be location or something.

For anyone that wants a tropical paradise where the people are friendly, the food is great (albeit spicy), the hotels cheap, the entertainment different and golf and the whole experience pleasant, go to Thailand.  Yeah, it takes a long time to get there, but once there no one will mug you if you step out of the tourist areas.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Looters, WTF.
They don't allow many if any citizens to own guns on Jamaica, how can there be any crime.
This is simply an excercise in wealth re-distribution.
Of course if store or home owners were armed...nahhhh.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#13]
When I lived there I had a permit for a BHP.

There are plenty of "illegal" guns available as well   The citizens and police/soldiers are still zapping each other on a regular basis it seems.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top