BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 3:24:40 AM EDT
www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165683,00.html
Bush Neighbor Suffers Protest Fatigue
Monday, August 15, 2005

Army Meets July Active Duty Goal
CRAWFORD, Texas — Protesters outside President Bush's Crawford, Texas, ranch were starting their second week of demonstrations Sunday, leading one neighbor to demonstrate the first signs of protest fatigue.

Larry Mattlage (search) created quite a stir earlier in the day when he fired his shotgun over his property. The Crawford rancher told reporters he was practicing for dove season.

Mattlage expressed frustration about the ongoing anti-war protest taking place near his property, and said other neighbors are also getting aggravated by all of the protest activity on their quiet country road.

"You want something like this in your backyard? Huh, or your front yard? This is our yard right here. We just happen to, in Texas, have a bigger yard than they do in Maryland," Mattlage told reporters.

"I mean, would you like somebody invading your house for a long time and blocking your view and blocking your road? I wake up every morning [with] this crowd, and I go to bed every night with this campground down here on a public road, which I'm paying taxes to, the middle of this road," he said.

Mattlage has been watching throughout the past week as more and more protesters join Cindy Sheehan (search) outside the president's 1,500-acre ranch. Sheehan's son Casey was killed in Iraq in 2004. She says she wants U.S. troops to pull out of Iraq, and she will stay here until Bush speaks with her.

Bush has defended his decision not to meet with Sheehan, with whom he met once before.

''Whether it be here or in Washington or anywhere else, there's somebody who has got something to say to the president, that's part of the job. And I think it's important for me to be thoughtful and sensitive to those who have got something to say. But I think it's also important for me to go on with my life, to keep a balanced life," Bush told Cox News Service during a bicycle ride on Saturday.

On Sunday, Democratic National Committee chairman Howard Dean (search) said Bush should meet with Sheehan.

"Because the president sent her son to Iraq, her son lost his life. I think the president should meet with any parent who has sacrificed their son or daughter for the defense of the United States of America," Dean told a Sunday morning network talk show.

In 2004, Bush met with Sheehan and other grieving families. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who traveled with Bush the day he met with the families, described the president's mood afterward.

"I have seen him, I have seen his care, and I've seen him grieve. And I'm sure he wouldn't like to hear me say this, but I have seen him afterwards. He was very, very grieved," McCain told "FOX News Sunday."

After Sheehan was joined by other anti-war protesters, pro-Bush demonstrators also traveled to Crawford. One pro-Iraq policy demonstrator said those against the president are not from Texas. Others said if the anti-war protesters succeed in altering U.S. policy, it would put more troops in harm's way.

The increased traffic in Crawford did not affect Bush, first lady Laura Bush or Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as they traveled Saturday night from the ranch to the Baylor University campus in nearby Waco, where the three attended the Little League Southwest Regional championship game.

But Mattlage said he is frustrated by the traffic — and subsequent side effects of it — in his neighborhood.

"We got a battle of the port-a-potties. They first started going to the bathroom in a five-gallon bucket, then they moved a port-a-pottie and then they got two port-a-potties, and now we got three and if this keeps up they will be all the way down the road," he said. "The only people winning here is the person who cleans the port-a-potties."

Mattlage said he sympathizes with Sheehan, but the crowd that has developed is akin to guests that won't leave.

FOX News' Mike Emanuel contributed to this report.
Well it has been obvious that these people are full of shit.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:28:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

"Because the president sent her son to Iraq, her son lost his life. I think the president should meet with any parent who has sacrificed their son or daughter for the defense of the United States of America," Dean told a Sunday morning network talk show.

He volunteered. Just like everyone else that joined up. I feel for her loss, but damn lady, you are making a fool out of yourself
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:32:37 AM EDT
[#2]
just heard mattlage's nephew is offering the hippies his farm to camp on. it puts them within a mile of bush's ranch...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
In response to Dean's quote, didn't she meet with the POTUS last summer?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:42:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep

for quite awhile and came out saying what a good man he was, a real man of faith. guess there was some hold up in her death benefit check or something...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I feel for her loss, but damn lady, you are making a fool out of yourself

It's her right. First Amendment. Or do you believe free speech only applies to you?

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's her right. First Amendment. Or do you believe free speech only applies to you?

jmzd4 is using his first amemendment right by calling her a fool!

ETA--->
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And it's everyone else's right to ridicule her, her supporters, and everyone else that is making a fool out of themselves.

Certain dumbass of a certain political persuasion seem to think "freedom of speech" means freedom from being criticized and that criticism is equivilent to censorship.  These same dumbasses of certain political persuasions are the same ones that routinely disrupt events where conservative speakers are present.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:23:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She can practice her free speech on her own property. The people in TX have a right to limit where people camp out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I think it's our right to express our views by tarring, feathering and riding her out on a rail.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Larry Mattlage (search) created quite a stir earlier in the day when he fired his shotgun over his property.

He missed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Those property owners down there in Texas should take up mosquito breeding or maybe wasps?  That would drive those peace-nicks out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:28:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Throw a nest of S. American Bullet Ants out the window at them.  That would get their attention real quick.  Of course if they take up residence that would really suck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Those property owners down there in Texas should take up mosquito breeding or maybe wasps?  That would drive those peace-nicks out.

Now that would be some funny shit right there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top