Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yet the car will probably end up north of $100k which would be a disappointment.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Would rather have rcf.

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure how crazy I am about the way it looks. Like an FRS that didn't fill out well or something. The front end kind of looks dated in the proto pics under the wrap. Like a Tiburon front end maybe.

Sure it will be a fun car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yet the car will probably end up north of $100k which would be a disappointment.  
View Quote
Yip , they gonna go the way of the NSX...limited production and price point that most cant afford. Meh, ill go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I figure this will be a competitor with the GTR and priced accordingly. I'm glad it's getting made, but I'll never be a buyer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure how crazy I am about the way it looks. Like an FRS that didn't fill out well or something. The front end kind of looks dated in the proto pics under the wrap. Like a Tiburon front end maybe.

Sure it will be a fun car.
View Quote
Looks like the took an FRS frame and tried to put an RCF body on it. I'm not holding my breath on them making it better than the MKIV, those were absolute rocks with just a little bit of work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, that's sexy. They did a very good job integrating the newest Toyota design features while still retaining the classic Supra shape. 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#9]
It will:

1. Cost way too much.
2. Not be as beautiful as the last Supra.

Just like the new GT-R compared to the R-34.
Just like the new RX-8 compared to the RX-7.
Just like the new 370Z compared to the 300ZX.
Just like the new NSX compared to the old NSX.

Damnit Japan.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome if affordable
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:48:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn that's an ugly car. Reminds me of those kits they used to sell to make your VW beetle look like a racecar.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It will:

1. Cost way too much.
2. Not be as beautiful as the last Supra.

Just like the new GT-R compared to the R-34.
Just like the new RX-8 compared to the RX-7.
Just like the new 370Z compared to the 300ZX.
Just like the new NSX compared to the old NSX.

Damnit Japan.
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Awesome if affordable
View Quote
Considering that 20 years ago a Supra turbo was a $50k+ car, I have no expectation this will fit the average cars guys definition of affordable haha

If we are lucky this car will start at about 70k, but I'm expecting more like 100k.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey but at least it comes with a free dildo

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Competitor to the GTR, it will cost $90-100K.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Front end looks like AIDS that got fucked by other AIDS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#17]
It depends on whether Toyota really wants to sell these, or just wants a halo car to compete with the GT-R.

A 400HP turbo V6 car with a manual transmission and RWD should be able to be built with some nice content and still sell around 40 grand.  

I can see a twin-turbo 550-600HP AWD version stretching out into GT-R territory though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:59:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting.

That looks an awful lot like the lever in the Prius, and that also has an electronic parking brake. I'd be surprised if the Supra doesn't have a hand brake.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:12:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting.

That looks an awful lot like the lever in the Prius, and that also has an electronic parking brake. I'd be surprised if the Supra doesn't have a hand brake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Interesting.

Looks very BMWesque to me.  

I'd prefer a straight 6 and that front end is ugly.  Beyond that I like it.

But i've already got a manual, rwd, turbo straight 6.. So i'll pass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#20]
The Kim Kardashion of the auto world.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:19:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Initial visual impression is that it looks like a droopy tennis shoe. I bet it's packed full of badass though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
That looks like an Alfa Romeo 4C's ugly sister 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a hardcore stick and 3 pedals guy for a long, long time and am pretty good at rev matching a heel & toe downshift, but the latest dual clutch computer operated transmissions are simply faster and more consistent than any human can ever be at everything except a drag launch.  It's all the advantages of a stick and a manual in one package.  The ONLY downside is tuning the engine for large HP increases creates problems.  Unless you're going to tune your Supra starting with a much bigger hampster wheel, don't bother if it's a 3 pedal car.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks like ass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was a hardcore stick and 3 pedals guy for a long, long time and am pretty good at rev matching a heel & toe downshift, but the latest dual clutch computer operated transmissions are simply faster and more consistent than any human can ever be at everything except a drag launch.  It's all the advantages of a stick and a manual in one package.  The ONLY downside is tuning the engine for large HP increases creates problems.  Unless you're going to tune your Supra starting with a much bigger hampster wheel, don't bother if it's a 3 pedal car.
View Quote
The fact that Toyota is apparently putting a manual in this car, and not just offering a high-end DCT or similar transmission, is what makes me hopeful about this not just being a $100K+ baby supercar.

Modern flappy-paddles are indeed faster and better... but not until you get to the pricier fancy ones.  If you want fast and fun on the cheap, 3 pedals is still the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's not always about being the fastest.  Sometimes it's about having fun on the way to work.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#27]
What does that even mean? 
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#28]
They need to just modernize the 2jz a bit. Even in 2017, it is an iconic and bulletproof design.

Upgraded rods/pistons/injectors etc from factory, single turbo from factory and they will literally not be able to make enough of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Is it just me or does that look like quite a bit of body roll
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#30]
very cool.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
The Mark IV Supra was expensive for its time and the new Supra will not be cheap either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#32]
I like it..I like it a lot
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Looks like a BMW shifter, IDrive controller, and their assorted console buttons.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Mark IV Supra was expensive for its time and the new Supra will not be cheap either.
View Quote
Agreed.

The Supra should have an I6, not a V6. Every previous generation has been an inline. M, G, and JZ series.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looks like a BMW shifter, IDrive controller, and their assorted console buttons.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Because it is, this is a joint venture between Toyota and BMW, will be sold under both marquees similar to BRZ / FRS.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Thought they might have tried to get in the muscle car market since they're gone head to head with the V8 trucks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
truth

95 supra window sticker
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The fact that Toyota is apparently putting a manual in this car, and not just offering a high-end DCT or similar transmission, is what makes me hopeful about this not just being a $100K+ baby supercar.

Modern flappy-paddles are indeed faster and better... but not until you get to the pricier fancy ones.  If you want fast and fun on the cheap, 3 pedals is still the way to go.
View Quote
Yup.

My wife's 2015 Subaru Touring XT is a zippy little car for a wagon (2.4L turbo), and I was kind of excited when I saw that it had paddles (having driven a friend's Ferrari 458 Spider with paddles... LOL). But I stopped using the paddles on the Lezbaru almost immediately because it was a big yawner. Her car is actually pretty fun to zip around in using auto though. My manual Pontiac Solstice is miles more fun to drive. I wish I could slap her 2.4 turbo in it though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Akio Toyoda is a serious car enthusiast. I have no doubt he was behind this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:49:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not really. Dual clutch manumatics are becoming cheaper and cheaper thanks to trickle-down.

Pretty soon even sporty kias will have lightning fast shifts and 8 speed transmissions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:52:07 PM EDT
[#41]
It better have a damn targa top
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:52:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  I fully expect this.

What made the classics so awesome that anyone with a job who works his ass off can get one.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not really. Dual clutch manumatics are becoming cheaper and cheaper thanks to trickle-down.

Pretty soon even sporty kias will have lightning fast shifts and 8 speed transmissions.
View Quote
Yup. The flappy-paddle 10 speed auto in the new Mustang GT is faster than the manual.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It better have a damn targa top
View Quote
How about no. Terrible idea.

"Hey, let's kill the performance of the chassis so we can remove some of the roof!"
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Considering that 20 years ago a Supra turbo was a $50k+ car, I have no expectation this will fit the average cars guys definition of affordable haha

If we are lucky this car will start at about 70k, but I'm expecting more like 100k.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Awesome if affordable

For reference, 50k in 1995 adjusted for inflation would be $80,000 so anything in your estimate would be in line cost wise with a Mk 4's original sticker price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What made the classics so awesome that anyone with a job who works his ass off can get one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

50k in 1995 was in reach of normal people?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

50k in 1995 was in reach of normal people?
View Quote
Things were just easier back then.....  

Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:56:38 PM EDT
[#48]
ugly sombitch
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What does that even mean? 
View Quote
I think it has a disproportionately large rear end
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Another horrifically expensive toy that will be bought and wrecked by rich kids.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top