Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:12:19 PM EDT
Beeline to FiveOs house.

Even the best predicted track sucks for SW AL.

This track is literally coming right over my neck of the woods.

Just got back from boarding up the family's beach house and am here at home straightening things a bit. Gonna board up here tomorrow night. Sending the wifey and baby girl to my folks Wednesday morning to ride it out as we have just been put on 14 hour shifts starting for me at 0600 hrs tomorrow. All leave cancelled. With the family leaving I will likely live at the office and/or EOC for the duration.

This is certainly the worst part of the job. A man feels like he should be with HIS family at HIS house during a situation such as this but there are folks wo don't have anyone else to look after them so we'll be there... Still bites though. First time I have had to do it since the birth of my daughter.

Anyway, I am sure I'll get to jump on from time to time but wish us luck down here. Good luck to the others who are gonna get some of this fucker!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
MAY GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU ALL SAFE!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah..I'm with you man, FWB here. Looks like it may decrease to a Cat. 3 but still have a huge surge. Everyone from P-city to Pascagoula will have front row seats of hurricane force winds. Big storm, that will not decrease in size, only in strength.

I've got everything board up..again. Good to go on about everything, now it's Weather channel 24/7 and wait.

Edited to say: Here kitty, kitty  I hate these storms!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Meant  to thank you earlier Steyr...you actually had me add a few items to my usual list. I bought a black and white t.v. from Big Lots for $17. I also got a window mounted 6000 btu air conditioner that I'll be able to run w/ the generator. All in all, I am good to go..I just wish the hurricane season would end soon, this getting crazy. I am tired and exhausted from the last 5 weeks. I went out on the beach today and just looked south and said "do whatever Ivan, I'm just too tired to worry now".

Thanks again Steyr...looks to be a kitty Cat. 3 at landfall, probably Mobile..wherever, we will see a huge surge and hurricane force winds 70-90 miles from the center. Pensacola beach just got through with their 6 million doallr beach restoration..thats gonna be gone in a matter of hours. Sad.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm right on the western edge of the "projected track" or whatever, it may be headed in this way. I sure hope not. IVAN GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
good luck

stay safe
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm over here on the other side of the bay.  Wish me luck too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:40:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Here on the west coast(L.A.), the 11pm news is predicting Ivan will become a cat 5 storm with something like 15foot storm surge. That's pretty serious stuff. For the FL can, I would definitely do an evac. You can replace material possessions, but if you get hurt or .... that is serious. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Looks like Ivan is gonna come a callin'... Wish us luck!

Good Luck!

Been There, Done That, over the last few weeks.  
Mamma's in LA (lower 'Bama) and the In-Laws are in New Orleans.  

Got this tonight:
"As Hurricane Ivan enters the Gulf of Mexico today, it will be moving into water that is up to 86 degrees.

This very warm water is what provides the energy necessary for a hurricane to maintain itself and strengthen.

A hurricane works much like an engine in which the warm waters of the ocean act as its fuel. This warm water and air is taken up into the hurricane, which causes towering rain clouds to form. As this happens, the air pressure in the hurricane falls dramatically which causes the winds to increase. Finally, the outflow of the hurricane is much like an engine's exhaust. If either the outflow or warm water is taken away from a hurricane, it is like disrupting an engine's fuel source or exhaust. A hurricane can only reach its peak strength with very warm water and good outflow, just like an engine can only reach its maximum horsepower with good fuel and a good exhaust system."
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Get all your irreplaceable stuff and pack it up safe away somewhere else.
Do it NOW.
Get all the MREs and water you can.
Watch your weapons and ammo. Keep them safe.
If it hits your neighborhood, you WILL be out of running water and electricity
for weeks. Not to mention you may not have a home anymore.
I went through this crap in Andrew.
It was not fun.
Good luck 5-O.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here on the west coast(L.A.), the 11pm news is predicting Ivan will become a cat 5 storm with something like 15foot storm surge. That's pretty serious stuff. For the FL can, I would definitely do an evac. You can replace material possessions, but if you get hurt or .... that is serious. Stay safe.

The same news cast predicted that you will be without power for at least 2 weeks if it hits the Gulf Coast as a Cat 4 or 5 storm. I hope I'm lying, but only God knows. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Heading more and more this way

I went through Elena as a kid, which was a category 4 if I remember.  It ripped this area up pretty bad.  Being 6 or 7 at the time it was kind of fun roughing it though.  No electricty for 3 weeks.  Two pine trees fell and its amazing that they didn't hit our house.  My dad also had all the supplies we would need covered so it wasn't so bad (like borrowing a giant barrel from the army reserve unit he was in and filled it with water beforehand).

We also had the luxury of a natural gas stove and water heater.  Hot canned food and a hot shower after the water supply was deemed safe was great.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey FiveO,  hope you guys make out Ok,  Looks like were gonna catch the rest here in Bham.

Keep safe!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:27:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Watch your six, guys.  We need to set up an ARFCOM relief fund for stuff like this.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey FiveO,  hope you guys make out Ok,  Looks like were gonna catch the rest here in Bham.

Keep safe!

+1. I hope it goes further to the east of us, but it might not. I remember Opal, knocked out power for a couple of days in my neighborhood in Bham.  Kinda sucks, my Dad has a beach condo in Gulf Shores, I'm praying that it doesn't get damaged. It's insured, but any damage to beaches or condos will hurt tourism and his income, money's too tight right now for him to lose rental income, and I cannot help out right now either........
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Be safe guys.
It sucks, but it seems to get easier after the first couple of days.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:37:06 AM EDT
[#21]
House is completely boarded up.
Food and water supplies have been topped off.
Ammo stores refreshed and magazines loaded.

We have gone to DEFCON 2.

This isn't the first major hurricane I've been through.  I'm not looking forward to it.  People directly on the water are going to be in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#22]
My thoughts and prayers will be with you FiveO. I'm still in the middle of the restoration effort from Frances here in Florida and it's been no picnic. Ivan is a killer storm right now, and I only hope that the forecasters are correct when they say that the storm will likely weaken before landfall.

If you're in Law Enforcement, you'll be in the thick of it after the storm. I only hope that you luck out and the lawlessness is minimal after the storm. We were that fortunate here. With the demographics of the city where I work being what they are, it could have been really bad. We had Cops everywhere and it prevented all but minimal looting and injury.

Take care, sleep whenever and where ever you can. Your days will be long and exhausting, but at least you can take some comfort in the knowledge that you're part of the solution and not just sitting around waiting for someone else to take care of things.

Good luck.

(Edited after reading the original message more closely. Sorry, I'm a little punchy lately...)
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top