Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/13/2005 6:07:46 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/08/13/bush.iran.reut/index.html

Bush: Force last resort on Iran

Saturday, August 13, 2005; Posted: 5:44 a.m. EDT (09:44 GMT)

story.bush.rice.crawford.ap.jpg
Bush: "We want diplomacy to work ... and we'll see if we're successful."

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -- U.S. President George W. Bush said on Israeli television he could consider using force as a last resort to press Iran to give up its nuclear program.

"All options are on the table," Bush, speaking at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, said in the interview broadcast on Saturday.

Asked if that included the use of force, Bush replied: "As I say, all options are on the table. The use of force is the last option for any president and you know, we've used force in the recent past to secure our country."

Iran angered the European Union and the United States by resuming uranium conversion at the Isfahan plant last Monday after rejecting an EU offer of political and economic incentives in return for giving up its nuclear program.

Tehran says it aims only to produce electricity and denies Western accusations it is seeking a nuclear bomb.

Bush made clear he still hoped for a diplomatic solution, noting that EU powers Britain, Germany and France had taken the lead in dealing with Iran.

Washington last week expressed a willingness to give negotiations on Iran's suspected nuclear weapons program more time before getting tougher with the country.

"In all these instances we want diplomacy to work and so we're working feverishly on the diplomatic route and we'll see if we're successful or not," Bush told state-owned Israel Channel One television.

Bush has also previously said that the United States has not ruled out the possibility of military strikes. But U.S. officials have played down media speculation earlier this year they were planning military action against Iran.

French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy said on Friday that negotiations were still possible with Iran on condition the Iranians suspend their nuclear activities.

The governing board of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) unanimously called on Iran on Thursday to halt sensitive atomic work.

Douste-Blazy said the next step would be on September 3 when IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei reports on Iran's activities.

If Iran continues to defy global demands, another IAEA meeting will likely be held, where both Europe and Washington will push for a referral to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions.

We all know that when Bush says something......he means it. All I can say is it is about time we started getting firm with Iran.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:09:55 AM EDT
Who's he gonna send???? The Boy Scouts???
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:11:48 AM EDT
You can bet the Phrench will be still crying for more negotiations (with Iran) all the way down the line.

Had Carter shown some cajones (in dealing with the Ayatollah 25 years ago) the Iranians might be less inclined to spit in everyone's faces.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:14:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By liberty86:
Who's he gonna send????

Hopefully a few JDAM's
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:14:41 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:18:38 AM EDT
Two things though:

Putin has yet to weigh in on that, and were these comments meant to assuage the Israelis for now...?

Putin has a vested interest in Iran, and no doubt will counter what GW said. I'm sure it made Israel feel good-for now-but Iran is even more complicated than Iraq ever was. Israel will be the 1st attackers on Iran, IMO.

GW could always tell Putin to pull out his engineers because we're turning Iran into a sea of glass.

HH
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:22:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HoustonHusker:
Two things though:

Putin has yet to weigh in on that, and were these comments meant to assuage the Israelis for now...?

Putin has a vested interest in Iran, and no doubt will counter what GW said. I'm sure it made Israel feel good-for now-but Iran is even more complicated than Iraq ever was. Israel will be the 1st attackers on Iran, IMO.

GW could always tell Putin to pull out his engineers because we're turning Iran into a sea of glass.

HH

It was pretty much the same for Iraq. Putin didn't want us to do it, and just before the war, Russia sold Iraq GPS jamming software. From what I have heard, Putin has become wacky
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:22:21 AM EDT
Maybe I'll get to play in the sand there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:25:02 AM EDT

The Israelis are foaming at the mouth... all we have to do is let slip the dogs of war. BTW, we just sold them new production bunker busting MOAB style bombs about 2 years ago. And they just modified their F-16s for long range flights.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:31:38 AM EDT

Whats the matter Liberty, GWB proving you wrong time and time again?
GWB, A President who says what he means and does what he says.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:32:59 AM EDT
Israel would have to launch every single jet they had, at once to take out the entire Iranian nuclear facilities and associated areas of interest. I am thinking that Iran wants to be hit, especially by Israel, in order to rally their own people in an anti-American/ Israel mother-of-all-jihads. We need to support more of the pro-democracy struggles inside of Iran, and quick.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:43:04 AM EDT
GW never said anything about occuping the place like Iraq.

Just bomb the shit out of all their NUclear facilities and Airbases.If they dont like it let them come over the border enmasse and we can pound the hell out of them with airpower.And then let our Army fight like they were trained for.

We are already at war with the Iranians in my book anyway.Were the hell do you think all of these shape charges used in IED's are coming from

Not to mention we still owe them for that little stunt they pulled back in the 80's!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:44:08 AM EDT
Iran didn't bury them deep for no reason, they expect us to bomb them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:49:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrClean4Hire:

We shouldn't disappoint them then.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:52:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jrzy:

pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL544/755827/3700503/60869561.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:55:45 AM EDT

Yeah - hasnt the Gov. been working on tactical nukes for just such a "Bunker busting" occassion?

What did the AirForce General say in Spies Like US? "A weapon unused is a useless weapon!"

If you cant solve the worlds problems from ideas out of a Chevy Chase movie then there is no hope for any us!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:57:31 AM EDT

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:58:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jm03:

Yeah - hasnt the Gov. been working on tactical nukes for just such a "Bunker busting" occassion?

What did the AirForce General say in Spies Like US? "A weapon unused is a useless weapon!"

If you cant solve the worlds problems from ideas out of a Chevy Chase movie then there is no hope for any us!

No, the OSD has requested funding to study and develop mini-nukes. Congress has refused to appropriate money for those studies IIRC.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:01:05 AM EDT
Lets hope Iran gets microwaved.
Bush appears to be tough on this issue BUT we still have our Nation's backdoor
(US /Mex border) unlocked and unmonitored. GW needs some cajones pronto when dealing with
Fox. Mex border is the port of entry for BG's.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:05:46 AM EDT
As much as I wanna see Iran gets it's licks I really do hope they can come to a peacful conclusion.
I can't stand to see our military getting anymore BS from the anti's.
God, spare our troops from another battle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:06:00 AM EDT
one or two of these oughta do it
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:08:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:
one or two of these oughta do it
static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cruise-missile-intro.jpg

1 or 2?????????

Try about 40
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:12:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 7:13:40 AM EDT by FN-TPS]
We've mentioned the use of military force, every other month, for the last three years. This is hardly anything new. It's just anouther application of "the stick", in our current game of "carrot and stick" negotiations.

Iran will reply with their standard canned anti-American responce, while they handjob the French.

As much as I'd like to see us bomb the hell out of Iran's nuclear facilities. I think that there will have to be some other world event, like Iran being caught red handed, linked to a major terrorist attack, here in the United States or Israel, before we can actually bomb them.

I think we are already at war with Iran, or at least Iran's already at war with us. The evidence of increasing Iranian involvement in Iraqi IED bombings and attacks on American forces operating in Iraq, is beginning to pile up pretty high. I think Iran is supplying both Sunni and Shite, under the theory that "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." and a destablized Iraq, in the throws of civil war, goes deeply twards the intrests of Iran.

We'er getting pretty good at issuing hollow military threats to terrorist states lately and while I would wish otherwise, I'm afraid that this latest reference to the use of military force, is just that. Anouther hollow threat, issued by the same bunch of namby pamby hand wringers who couldn't bring themselves to make a desicion about Falluja for five months.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:14:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:

The Israelis are foaming at the mouth... all we have to do is let slip the dogs of war. BTW, we just sold them new production bunker busting MOAB style bombs about 2 years ago. And they just modified their F-16s for long range flights.

And than we truly have a world war again, when we work with Israel to attack an Arab country everything will hit the fan, every nation will choose sides and at the end of it all everything will be the same, Just a lot of young people dead. Americans, Iranians, Israelis, and every other nation involved.

We do not have the man power to have a world war, honestly it isn't 1930's America is in reach of every country, same as they are with in reach of us. It wouldn't simply play on one field. Their would be no set battlefield.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:31:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Who's he gonna send????

Hopefully a few JDAM's

hope is not a method. ~Anthony Zoccola, LTC, US Army, Infantry
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 7:42:52 AM EDT by TheTracker]

You right we don't have the man power for a world war ,but a military strike against their nuclear sites would not start one .It not even a option to think about them buliding a bomb,we have to stop it if they continue.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:47:22 AM EDT
You right we don't have the man power for a world war ,but a military strike against their nuclear sites would not start one .It not even a option to think about them buliding a bomb,we have to stop it if they continue.

+1 For the North Koreans as sell!

Lt. General Thomas G. McInerney says it can be done!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:55:41 AM EDT

Lib...you can bet it won't be a couple of old farts like us!

Don't fret...we have plenty of tools in our inventory. You just sit back and watch the fun you old Grump!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:56:28 AM EDT

Oh bullshit.
He is standing by, letting this turn into another Viet Nam.
LBJ decided to let the enemy be supplied and rearmed with impunity. Didn't work out so well for our guys on the ground. There is not a politician in Washington fit to command. Maybe not even one fit to govern.

GW never said anything about occuping the place like Iraq.

Just bomb the shit out of all their Nuclear facilities and Airbases.If they dont like it let them come over the border enmasse and we can pound the hell out of them with airpower.And then let our Army fight like they were trained for.

We are already at war with the Iranians in my book anyway.Were the hell do you think all of these shape charges used in IED's are coming from

Not to mention we still owe them for that little stunt they pulled back in the 80's!

That absolutely is the way to handle this rag tribe IMO. Destroy some infrastructure and let them decide whether they want to escalate it and attack.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:00:55 AM EDT
In all seriousness, whatever transpires, President Bush has taken a solemn vow to protect and preserve the Constitution. He has proven he is a man of his word. He takes his job seriously and will take WHATEVER measures necessary to carry out his duties.

We all know that if the Islamofacists in Iran who now are represented in the ongoing quasi-surregate war with the United States by such .orgs as Hezbollah, ever get their hands on a nuke they will use it here or in Israel. Bush and his staff are well aware of the threat. They will not let that happen.

Whatever it takes...including nuclear pre-emptive strikes if necessary. Our future must and will be preserved.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:08:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LWilde:
In all seriousness, whatever transpires, President Bush has taken a solemn vow to protect and preserve the Constitution. He has proven he is a man of his word. He takes his job seriously and will take WHATEVER measures necessary to carry out his duties.

We all know that if the Islamofacists in Iran who now are represented in the ongoing quasi-surregate war with the United States by such .orgs as Hezbollah, ever get their hands on a nuke they will use it here or in Israel. Bush and his staff are well aware of the threat. They will not let that happen.

Whatever it takes...including nuclear pre-emptive strikes if necessary. Our future must and will be preserved.

Your dreaming, the only way we'd use nukes was is nukes were used on us, period (Hell, even then it would be iffy).
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:12:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By -M60_Gunner-:

Your dreaming, the only way we'd use nukes was is nukes were used on us, period (Hell, even then it would be iffy).

WADR, you are mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:15:24 AM EDT

WADR, you are mistaken.

Sorry friend but this country lacks the balls it had durring WWII, that's just a fact.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:48:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:

Yep.

Yep +2.

As much as I would like to see an attack on Iran, I just don't believe it would do much good.

And the Iranians have a few cards to deal, too.

- Hezbollah

- Shore based anti-ship missiles. Those oil tankers would be a big, fat target. You think oil prices are high now?

- Medium range ballistic missiles. Israel and targets in Iraq would be in range. And they have much better accuracy than the older Scuds that Saddam had.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:50:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:52:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:
GlockGuy40 will be along shortly to tell us why this cannot work.

ANdy

No doubt
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:01:52 AM EDT

Dear jrzy....

So far,EVERYTHING I predicted before the invasion has been/come true, from NO WMD's, to the aftermath of the invasion........

They ain't throwin flowers, are they???

GWB, his "whiz kids", and YOU, have been WRONG!!

Not me..........
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:09:13 AM EDT

Lib...you can bet it won't be a couple of old farts like us!

Don't fret...we have plenty of tools in our inventory. You just sit back and watch the fun you old Grump!

Hi old friend.....

Should I sit back and enjoy the new show, like the one Bush and crew are staging in Iraq???

We will never use those tools, these folks are "nation-builders", sacrificing American blood and treasure on their alter of Internationalism!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:11:49 AM EDT

No, he is not. Nobody thought we would launch a pre-emptive war against countries that harbor terrorism. But there they are.

You sit back and watch. If Iran gets dangerously close to going nuclear, do not be surprised if the nuclear hammer falls on them first. I won't be.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:13:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 10:14:16 AM EDT by SWO_daddy]

WADR, you are mistaken.

Sorry friend but this country lacks the balls it had durring WWII, that's just a fact.

The only person who needs enough sack to go nuclear is President Bush, and I'm pretty sure he has plenty of sack to do what needs to be done.

As Commander-In-Chief he is not obligated to seek permission from, or give notification of pending nuclear weapons use, to anyone.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:15:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mach1:

And the Iranians have a few cards to deal, too.

- Hezbollah

- Shore based anti-ship missiles. Those oil tankers would be a big, fat target. You think oil prices are high now?

- Medium range ballistic missiles. Israel and targets in Iraq would be in range. And they have much better accuracy than the older Scuds that Saddam had.

The life expectancy of those weapons is going to be pretty short after the dogs of war are slipped loose.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:26:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 10:27:01 AM EDT by Kroagnon]

And what does he mean when he issues a visa for the new Iranian President - one of the embassy hostage takers
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:27:34 AM EDT

www.darkgovernment.com/b2-1.jpeg

yeah i think 15 b-2s fully loaded with the 2000 pound jdams over the nuke sites would be the best bet.and the other 5 over tehran its self

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:29:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/13/2005 11:30:01 AM EDT by VTwin60]
Screw Iran, bomb the shit out of every standing structure and major population center. Bring our troops home and man the border where there is a bigger and more immediate problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:34:43 AM EDT

I call dibs on the hot Russian missile crew chick!

This one!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:36:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By VTHOKIESHOOTER:

Who's he gonna send????

Hopefully a few JDAM's

++
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:45:44 AM EDT
The krauts are at it again.
BBC:Germany attacks US on Iran threat

Germany's chancellor warns the US to withdraw the threat of force against Iran over its nuclear programme.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 11:57:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

Germany's chancellor warns the US to withdraw the threat of force against Iran over its nuclear programme.

This is especially funny when Iran just thumbed its nose at the German/French/British attempt to persuade them not to proceed further in their nuclear program.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:21:41 PM EDT
Does anyone here think Iran was a bigger threat than Iraq from the beginning? Shouldn't Iran have been the first target in the war on terror?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:21:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By warlord:

Or what? We kicked those bastards asses twice in a row in the last 100 years. Do they want more of the same?

They are a bunch of impotent little pricks, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:27:32 PM EDT

Plenty of Air Force and Naval assets looking for something to do. Crater their fucking Reactor and any of their nuke program factories we can reach in teh middle of the night to reduce civilian casualties - smash the works.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top