Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2003 1:22:14 PM EDT
Not mall cops, but personal protection as well as investigative work.  Basically starting from the ground up with SOME investment capitol and SOME experience.  

What kind of regulations are there for these types of business' and what is to bee expected from LE?  Is it possible to be "recognized" as LE by the feds to purchase LEO or post 86 NFA firearms (there are several companies that are allowed to do this)?  

I need real suggestions, not spam.  If you dont think this is a good idea, please back it up.  I think this could be a viable business and an excellent oppertunity to start investing in my own business instead of working for someone else.

All suggestions are welcome, just be nice :)
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a company for several years in Texas. Each state has its own fees and regulations concerning to operation of a security company.

First thing to do is check with your state.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:32:03 PM EDT
[#2]
The job is a pure nut magnet, good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Almost every state has its own standards for private security, as well as some process for regulating and inspecting companies. In Washington it's:

Department of Licensing, Public Protection Unit
405 Black Lake Boulevard
P.O. Box 9649
Olympia, WA  98507-9649
[url]www.dol.wa.gov/ppu/pifront.htm[/url]
[url=www.wali.org/]Washington Association of Legal Investigators[/url]

Private security is not recognized as LE, and in Texas they go overboard to make sure you understand that. I don't think you would get any help with post '86 NFA weapons unless you're going to be working overseas where NFA doesn't apply. A lot of police officers have a negative view of private security. In some cases this is because of a bad experience with it and in others it's because they see private security as taking jobs the cops could be working in their off time.

Do you have any experience in this area?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you have any experience in this area?
View Quote

Well not guarding people.  I worked at a precious metals broker, where I was Head of Security of both the site and transportation.  The company had (now out of business) pre 86 NFA stuff licensed in the business name (they were grandfathered under current RCW's as there is no new NFA in WA).  I understand that guarding and transporting millions of dollars of gold and platinum is different than guarding people, but the principle is the same.

Like I said, the actual business is flexable.  It may not be personal protection, hell, maybe someone can point me in a diferent direction.  I am just tired of busting my ass for someone elses reward.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, you were in charge of the division that provided robbery suppression and asset protection services to a ___ million dollar company. That's certainly a start.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You're gonna need a briefcase capable of withstanding multiple hits of .308....
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

huh?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL Wheres Gecko45 when you need him. Just do the opposite of what he says..

PS: Good luck on your endeavor.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

huh?
View Quote

BlackDog, good luck in your endevors.

What MuzlFlash was refering to is this..[url]http://www.mallninja.com/Am%20I%20Being%20Careful%20Enough%20-%20Glock%20Talk.htm[/url]

Funny stuff. As I said, good luck.. fullclip
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:22:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The job is a pure nut magnet, good luck.
View Quote

I understand that this is true, however my first partner would be my best friend/brother.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 4:48:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Ive met some guys in the personal protection gig in this state. it doesnt seem like a particularly easy buisiness to work in. I have no idea what your qualifications are. But, the guys i knew did a LOT of training and spent years building a reputation and still had crap for buisiness.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ive met some guys in the personal protection gig in this state. it doesnt seem like a particularly easy buisiness to work in. I have no idea what your qualifications are. But, the guys i knew did a LOT of training and spent years building a reputation and still had crap for buisiness.
View Quote

how encouraging :)

I know it's not easy, but it HAS to be better than working for someone else.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#13]
As much as people tend to look down on "mall cops," contract retail security can pay the bills between those high dollar close protection gigs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top