Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 11:32:13 PM EDT
Well guys, I live in Canada about a 5 minute drive to the border, and I'm thinking of "hopping the line".  I don't really like the way the firearms situation up here is heading, or at least looking to. So I have numerous questions, and could really use some informed answers. Firstly, at what point can a foreign national, Canadian in this case, possess firearms in the US? Would I have to obtain citizenship first or is a person with "landed immigrant" (Canadian term, yours may differ) status able to possess firearms at any time?  

Secondly, how is Washington state in regards to firearms owners? The three states I'm browsing property in are Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Granted, Montana is the best place to be for a gun nut out of the three, but it's also the farthest move for me. Washington is ideal for me as I'd still live within a half hour drive of friends and family, a big bonus.

Just as background, I have American lineage in my family but too far seperated to gain citizenship through (grandfather, now lives in Canada) and I'm heavily considering joining the US Armed Forces (it is very simple for Canadians to serve, many are serving in the various branches of the US military and it is also a fast track to citizenship for us).

Thanks guys, I could really use some good advice right now. The only sad part is I can't bring the VZ58, Norinco based M14's, short barrelled AR's (well yes, but with additional hassle) or any PE90 rifles down. But the pros outweigh the cons...
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#1]
What age are you?
I would think that it would be easy for you to sign up for a hitch in the Army.

Go here and scroll down for the gun laws of all 50 states...

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Default.aspx

Be sure to join the NRA when you get here...We could use another pro gun conservative...

Quoted:
Well guys, I live in Canada about a 5 minute drive to the border, and I'm thinking of "hopping the line".  I don't really like the way the firearms situation up here is heading, or at least looking to. So I have numerous questions, and could really use some informed answers. Firstly, at what point can a foreign national, Canadian in this case, possess firearms in the US? Would I have to obtain citizenship first or is a person with "landed immigrant" (Canadian term, yours may differ) status able to possess firearms at any time?  

Secondly, how is Washington state in regards to firearms owners? The three states I'm browsing property in are Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Granted, Montana is the best place to be for a gun nut out of the three, but it's also the farthest move for me. Washington is ideal for me as I'd still live within a half hour drive of friends and family, a big bonus.

Just as background, I have American lineage in my family but too far seperated to gain citizenship through (grandfather, now lives in Canada) and I'm heavily considering joining the US Armed Forces (it is very simple for Canadians to serve, many are serving in the various branches of the US military and it is also a fast track to citizenship for us).

Thanks guys, I could really use some good advice right now. The only sad part is I can't bring the VZ58, Norinco based M14's, short barrelled AR's (well yes, but with additional hassle) or any PE90 rifles down. But the pros outweigh the cons...

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Washington seems like a pretty decent state.  I visit there quite a bit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:40:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm 22 and work out and shoot incessantly, the armed forces are perfect for me. Thanks for the link, have to look through it in the morning.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Washington seems like a pretty decent state.  I visit there quite a bit.

It's ok but the west side is full of libtards and you can't have some Class III stuff.

Idaho and Montana are better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I'm selling my house here right now and I'm looking at property in Point Roberts, Washington. What Class III items are not permitted there (this is far western WA)? I would someday like to have a Class III collection.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Anything that's not an NFA weapon might be able to be imported or just bring in the upper and lower parts minus the lower reciever (bury it in Canada).

Washington is a no go with under 16" ARs

Before you move stay to vote in the election up there and boot Martin out
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
In Washington an alien may purchase firearms if they get a special permit.  IIRC even a CCW can be had with the permit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#8]
"Resident alien", that's the US term I was looking for. Great to hear! And you bet I'm sticking around to try and screw Martin over however possible... Been letter writing and calling politicians like crazy.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:31:04 PM EDT
[#10]
However hi-cap mags are kosher in WA, yes?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
However hi-cap mags are kosher in WA, yes?

Yes
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear. My parameters have been modified with more real estate searching; I'm now looking in Alaska and Washington. (I live in the province of British Columbia, which borders on Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Alaska).
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:15:26 AM EDT
[#13]
You own a house at age 22?  Yow.

Point Roberts is an interesting little geographic anomaly, but they don't have much of an economy there from what I've heard -- mostly retirees and gas-station clerks.  You'd probably be better off in Bellingham or Blaine.

The main risk in WA is that the Democrats are in complete control of the state government.  Last year they were narrowly prevented from enacting major gun-control laws.  Between playing to their base (Seattle liberals) and their reduced fear of the Republicans this year, they might force some laws through in 2006.  You would be better off going to Idaho or Oregon if gun laws are your sole concern.

Of course, if you join the military to fast-track citizenship, you aren't going to have a choice of where to live anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#14]
You sir are not welcome, we are full, and need no more of your kind, America is for Americans, and not for you! We are done with all outsiders!
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
WA is a great state...cost of living isn't as cheap as your other choices, but the gun laws are good...you can own whatever you want (compared to California).  I had a concealed weapons permit when I lived there...was easy to get.  OUt of the three, I'd pick WA State.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You sir are not welcome, we are full, and need no more of your kind, America is for Americans, and not for you! We are done with all outsiders!hr

Okie Dokie there little buddy... hinking.gif

Quoted:
You own a house at age 22?  Yow.

Point Roberts is an interesting little geographic anomaly, but they don't have much of an economy there from what I've heard -- mostly retirees and gas-station clerks.  You'd probably be better off in Bellingham or Blaine.

The main risk in WA is that the Democrats are in complete control of the state government.  Last year they were narrowly prevented from enacting major gun-control laws.  Between playing to their base (Seattle liberals) and their reduced fear of the Republicans this year, they might force some laws through in 2006.  You would be better off going to Idaho or Oregon if gun laws are your sole concern.

Of course, if you join the military to fast-track citizenship, you aren't going to have a choice of where to live anyway.

Yeah, work fast... hat
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Please, come to the US and join my beloved Corps.

www.usmc.mil
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Please, come to the US and join my beloved Corps.

www.usmc.mil

As a matter of fact, the USMC is the arm of the forces I wish to join.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are here under a non-immigrant visa, your firearms rights are severely limited.  If you are here under an immigrant visa, you have essentially the same firearms rights as a U.S. citizen.

Cite: 18 USC § 922(g)(5)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:22:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
If you are here under a non-immigrant visa, your firearms rights are severely limited.  If you are here under an immigrant visa, you have essentially the same firearms rights as a U.S. citizen.

Cite: 18 USC § 922(g)(5)

Looks like even immigrant aliens need this in WA state.
www.dol.wa.gov/forms/652010.htm
Edit: Seems like even immigrant aliens can get a CCW as long as they have an alien firearms license and are a resident of Washington state.
ftp://ftp.owt.com/pub/bc/cpl%20application.pdf
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Thank you very much guys, I truly appreciate it. This has been an enomrous help. Looks like part of my family is moving back to the US after 2 generations in Canada. A Canadian running from Canada to the US and the USMC is a 180 of sorts these days...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#22]
this warms my heart. a soul yearning for more freedom, earning it through service in my Corps. this is out-fucking-standing. feel free to mail or IM if you have any questions or theres something i can help you with.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You sir are not welcome, we are full, and need no more of your kind, America is for Americans, and not for you! We are done with all outsiders!

wow. You an ass.

FYI, illegal immigrants cause most of the problems; not legal ones.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow. You an ass.

FYI, illegal immigrants cause most of the problems; not legal ones.

The smilie should be a clue that he is being sarcastic...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Go west....and north a little..:)..

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Laf... Been shopping in SE Alaska, but it's gonna take a good deal of time to make a decision this big, likely buy in the summer if I do. House just sold last night only $4000 less than asking, so I'm in a good position now. Hoping to speak with a recruiter for the USMC fairly soon, just gotta get up and do it, keeps getting put on the back burner.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#27]
If you want more or less un-hampered gun rights think south.  By South I mean AZ, NM, TX, LA, or FL.  Do not know situation in MS or AL.  Left-tardness is not as rampant in the south, but considering you are coming from Canuckistan WA. may be a step up.  Wherever you end up good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If you want more or less un-hampered gun rights think south.  By South I mean AZ, NM, TX, LA, or FL.  Do not know situation in MS or AL.  Left-tardness is not as rampant in the south, but considering you are coming from Canuckistan WA. may be a step up.  Wherever you end up good luck.

WA is a giant step up from Canuckistan.  They are shall issue (have been since the 60s) and no state mag restrictions or AWB.  The only real flaw WA has right now is prohibitions on NFA stuff (MGs for sure, I don't know about the other NFA stuff).
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#29]
You sir are welcome in any state that you choose. I would try to stay out of washington state, but, the guns laws there are still much better than the ones you are used to.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#30]
As of when I left, WA allowed suppressors, but no full-auto (thank you ex-Gov. Lowry, you asshole!) or DD.  The only other negative, AFAIR, is the state police registration of purchases of handguns at dealers.

OR allows full-auto, not sure about DD's.  Their economy was in worse shape than WA's last I heard, though.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:00:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for all the support guys. Looks like I'll have to wait on the move for a couple years, as the USMC stated that it would be greatly beneficial to me to finish my degree here and then come done and join with the intent of being an officer. I'm a sophemore here, and was hoping the USMC would pick me up under their officer program but it's just too difficult as a Canadian. I might as well complete the degree and enter as an officer rather than quit right now and go in. The degree will make a lot of things in the process easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top