Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 4:01:43 PM EDT
I am looking into buying a new firearm. I currently only have a 20 guage double barrel side by side shotgun and a New England Firearms .410.

It needs to be a rifle of sorts and needs to be within my price range (say no more than 500 bucks)and needs to have some stopping power. It doesnt need to be a Monster so it needs to be easy for me to handle.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Edited....

What will the rifle be used for???

Hunting, target practice, self defense?? More information is needed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
An AK, good starter rifle (if you are talking about the "evil" kind of rifles)

Ammo is cheap, clips are easy to get, they are reliable, you can get accessories easy.

Later you can get an AR and become fully addicted.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
By the way, what does your user name mean????
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Self Defense / Casual Shooting

my name means : Our day will come
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
An AK as mentioned before.  Or a good lever gun in your choice of caliber.  I've had a hankering for a Winchester or Marlin lever gun.  I've had my eye on either a .444 or .450.  Lever guns are a lot of fun and very versatile for the money.  Another thing that has been pointed out here before in SHTF threads is that .30-30 is about the easiest cartridge to find.  Especially in areas where hunting is prevelant, every backwoods service station has a few boxes of .30-30.

Don't buy a Mini-14... they may be appealing because they are a fairly cheap, somewhat "tactical"(most overused word on this site) rifle, but they are VERY hit and miss on accuracy (no pun intended).  It is very difficult to find decent mags for them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An AK, good starter rifle (if you are talking about the "evil" kind of rifles)

Ammo is cheap, clips are easy to get, they are reliable, you can get accessories easy.

Later you can get an AR and become fully addicted.
View Quote

Magazines are also easy to get and cheap.
Plus you will already have the clips to load them with!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Self Defense / Casual Shooting

my name means : Our day will come
View Quote

The phrase was a common greeting widely & almost exclusively used by the IRA.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Get an AK.

SAR 1 or SAR 2, Romanian.

[url]www.aimsurplus.com[/url]

Edit: Looks like they're out of SARs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#9]
8531sgt, thats why i picked it.

Thank you all for the help.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
8531sgt, thats why i picked it.

Thank you all for the help.
View Quote

Did you make a choice?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
How old are you son??

DOn't you have a dad that can help you learn and pick one out?  Does your dad even know you are looking?

I suggest you go to the local range and make friends with a few people first.  Then maybe they will let you shoot some of their rifles.  That way you will be getting an idea of what you life.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
My mother and father are divorced and i live with my grandparents. My Mother's BF is my Firearms person. He gave me the only 2 guns i have, taught me how to shoot, ect. ect.

I havent made a selection but an AK seems nice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#13]
For sheer value, it's awful hard to beat the like-new/unissued Yugoslovian SKS rifles that [url=http://www.aimsurplus.com]AIM Surplus[/url] and [url=http://www.interordnance.com]InterOrdnance[/url] are selling right now for well under $150 (including shipping charges).
[img]http://www.interordnance.com/frt_m59676highresolution.jpg[/img]
The SKS shares most of the design heritage of the AK, but the receiver is milled from a solid chunk of metal, instead of being stamped - VERY robust construction. They shoot the same very affordable 7.62 x 39 ammo as AKs (which is nice if you want to get an AK later), and have a nifty bayonette and grenade launcher attachment (although getting live grenades for it might be a bit of a challenge...). SUPER gun for the money.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#14]
For a good, inexpensive hi-cap rifle it's hard to beat an AKM style rifle.  The are reliable to the extream and ammo and mags are cheap.  If you want something cheaper that's still a good buy then an SKS is about as good as it gets and if you're looking for something alittle more PC then the Winchester 94, 30/30 will work very well and you don't have to buy any mags for it, just ammo.  If you're over 21 then you really should apply for a C&R Type 03 FFL, you'll be able to buy some of the SKS's with it and have it shipped to your door. Now it that sweet or what.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
1 vote for an AK in 7.62X39

Incredibly fun gun for the $$$$$$

You can buy lots of cool stuff for it too, like a variety of mags and drums, Russian optics, cool new furniture, nice trigger group, and so on.

[:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Dia duit, Tiocfaidh_ar_La
Id  also suggest an AKM, spend a few more bucks and get in on the Special Edition AK group buy on the AK side.
You would get a great AK-74 in 5.45, with a variety of upgrades. or get an SAR-2 for well under 400. here is a link to the SEAK project
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=58235&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Nar lagai Dia thu, slan.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#17]
You can build an AR15 for around $500, so why not go that route?  I recently put together a gun for a friend for $600 with an A1 upper.  Before that, I bought for myself a 16" ss fluted DPMS upper for $350 from the equipment exchange.  Add a lower $80, parts kit $50 and stock $40 and you're looking at a cheap VERY ACCURATE AR15.  Just keep your eyes peeled on Ebay and the EE.  Aren't Cav Arms lowers around $200?  

Personally, i think that at your age, you'd be well served by a bolt gun.  I'm glad I learned on my remington 700 PSS, because my trigger handling and shot to shot accuracy in every gun I pick up is due to those long hours on the trigger of that gun.

However, on a bolt action, you're looking at a scope, which can get expensive, so maybe an AR is better for you.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I guess you are no fan of "The Big Fella", Tiocfaidh ar La. Think he did the wrong thing, do you?
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I guess you are no fan of "The Big Fella", Tiocfaidh ar La. Think he did the wrong thing, do you?
View Quote

Just because one uses the term "Tiocfaidh ar La" doesnt mean anything against Michael Collins.
Our day will come refers to the day of a united Eire. Collins wanted a United Ireland, but realised that the resources to continue a fight were not available. Collins had to reach a compromise, and was put in a bad situation by
de Valera.
I wish the result was a United Ireland, but realise "The Big Fella" did what he did in hopes that a united ireland would come in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top