Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 5:59:10 AM EDT

I have dogs and a wolf..   there is no way I can keep a cat around for very long and expect it to survive. Rats are coming from the overgrown field next to me and eating my dog's food right out of their bowl.

they are so brazen, they even attack the food in broad daylight !

I don't want to use poison for fear my animals will eat it..  I also have goats

And the final straw was yesterday, Rats had to jump almost 4 feet to get to a suspended cage that I kept my lovebirds in. they caught and ate one completely leaving the beak.  The other they just chewed her head off.

It's War now...

I seem to recall a homemade trap where you set out a deep barrel and get them to fall in it ?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The first and most important thing IMO is to locate and block the entrance(s) that the vermin are using to enter your home.

Cheap old-fashioned Victor spring rat traps work well but you have to be very careful in placing them:  Perpendicular to a route the rats use on their way to a food source.  I've had to use one just once in the 9 years I've been in my present house, when a very clever rat evaded both of my cats.

If they are attacking your dogs' food in broad daylight then you have an opportunity to pick them off yourself.  An air rifle or Colibri rounds in a .22 are more than adequate for a rat.

Or consider getting a really BIG cat.  A bobcat should be able to deal with your pooches.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Rock'n'Roll!

[img]http://perso.wanadoo.fr/aetius/Images/Vormarsch/Vmar10.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:24:11 AM EDT
[#4]
OK. Here we go. 5 gallon bucket for the small ones and washtub or 55 gallon drum for the big ones. Take a pet milk can and punch a hole in each end so you can stick an axel through it and it will spin easily. For the axel use a stiff piece of wire or 1/4" rod. Drill a hole on each side of the bucket/tub/drum near the top and put the axel through the holes with the can. Fill the vessel up with water to about 4 inches from the bottom of the can. Smear some peanutbutter on the can. Place a plank up to the edge of the vessel so that the mouse or rat will have to lean out from the edge to get to the peanutbutter. This trap has been outlawed for muskrat because it is so dropdead surething. Freshen up the peanut butter everyday when you empty all the dead rats out.

Your welcome.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:28:30 AM EDT
[#5]
let some Rat snakes loose. I had one that would eat 5 a week.  If they are that big get a 10 ft Reticulated Python.That will solve the problem. But then you will have to watch you dogs and goats real close.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I suggest several bowls of dog food placed in an open area, a good .22 rifle, and a 12-pack of beer.  Happy hunting.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:38:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel your pain.  My wife and I moved a thousand miles away from OK to North Carolina.  The house we had rented a month before had become home to a large band of renegade rats from a nearby field.  We had no place else to go.  I put a blob of peanut butter on the laundry room floor and laid in wait in the dining room.  From the prone, unsupported position, I punched the ticket on 12 rats in one hour with an air rifle.  The carnage did nothing for my wife's mood, so I ended up with Warfarin under the house.  That ended the problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I suggest several bowls of dog food placed in an open area, a good .22 rifle, and a 12-pack of beer.  Happy hunting.
View Quote

What he said.  [sniper]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Get an ocelot. They are rat killing machines and are big enough to take care of themselves with the dogs. My girlfriend has one that actually chases dogs of all sizes out of the yard.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Kill em and grill em in one simple step.

[url]http://www.ratzapper.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OK. Here we go. 5 gallon bucket for the small ones and washtub or 55 gallon drum for the big ones. Take a pet milk can and punch a hole in each end so you can stick an axel through it and it will spin easily. For the axel use a stiff piece of wire or 1/4" rod. Drill a hole on each side of the bucket/tub/drum near the top and put the axel through the holes with the can. Fill the vessel up with water to about 4 inches from the bottom of the can. Smear some peanutbutter on the can. Place a plank up to the edge of the vessel so that the mouse or rat will have to lean out from the edge to get to the peanutbutter. This trap has been outlawed for muskrat because it is so dropdead surething. Freshen up the peanut butter everyday when you empty all the dead rats out.

Your welcome.
View Quote

Yep [beer]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:52:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn that's badass! Will it work on squirrels?
View Quote

They say it will.  The squirrels around here raid the piss out of wifey's bird feeders, and if she sees this thing she will have to have one.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#14]
glue traps and peanut butter work

blow guns with needle darts are somewhat ineffective, shot placement is KEY. we shot 4 darts into a rat last week, only one made it hurt, all went through.
the darts need to have broadhead tips to be more effective, then follow the blood trails.

40k volt stun guns make the rat shake, rattle n roll. but wont kill it, even after 2 tries the rat was still half alive, but stunned enough to get it out the house in a container.

YES, 4 darts with blood loss and 2 zappings finally took half the life of the rat.
we got pics, i should post'em.

higher voltage might of done it in, colibris and 22 birdshot would be funner.

whats the voltage of the ratzapper?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Be sure and check out the animated "How it Works" video!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a shame that the kid in Home Alone didn't have a few of those Rat Zapper 2000s!  Evil thoughts, man. Evil thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#17]
White Phosphorous.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
they don't call it .22 RATshot for nothin
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Coolest trap:

Big barrel, full of water, and covered with a sheet of thick brown Kraft paper, placed tight like a drum head.

Put food on the paper for a couple days, or until the rats get used to it.

Then, slit an "X" in the middle of the paper, large enough for the rat to fall in.  Keep baiting it.

Repeat as necessary.

If you have outdoor rats, there's not much to be done except remove the source of the food, remove brush/trash heaps whatever they live in, or remove access to you and yours.  Unfortunately, they're much better at being rats than you will be at being the Great White Hunter.

If you have indoor rats, you must remove access, remove all sources of food, and poison/trap the survivors.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#20]
This reminds me - as a kid I had a great uncle that had an egg farm.  when he change out his chickens he would give us his pump BB gun and all the BB's we could shoot.  We would kill 50 - 60 big rats each day, even the dog would get a few.

Good Luck,

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#21]
cyanide and peanut butter out of reach of other critters.

SRM
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Get an air rifle in .22cal with a velocity exceeding 900FPS. Use pointed or hollowpoint Beeman pellets. A scope shouldn't be needed, but a red-dot on the reciever is handy. Just load up a shot, and pop a cap in their ass... Have firecrackers on tripwires waiting for them... Have a beartrap nearby...
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#23]
You could get Slick Willie a call.  The problems with that option is that it would make his wife look like a slacker.  Plus PETA would make such a FUSS!
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You could get Slick Willie a call.  The problems with that option is that it would make his wife look like a [b]slacker[/b].  Plus PETA would make such a FUSS!
View Quote

Careful... [;)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#25]
I've nailed about...6 rats with a rat zapper.

The trickiest thing about it is baiting it with something that will lure them in.  The instructions mention that rats tend to be somewhat leary of entering unfamiliar confined spaces and that one should give them a few "free meals" before activating it.  Just pick something tasty and smelly...I think I used cookies, Hershey's Kisses, umm..I dunno, it's been a while since I nailed all of hte rats.

BAsically, you bait it, turn it on, and then go about your business.  

Here at the house the dogs (german shorthair pointers) were going crazy trying to get into the crawl space under the house for a few weeks, and after finding turds in the kitchen and even seeing the furry bastards racing around the beams in the garage, so I bought one and tried it out.  I'd set it each night before bed, then check it the next morning.  AFter a couple of days it started getting them.  It has a led light on top that blinks when it has discharged, so all you have to do is glance at it to see if you nailed something.  

The main con about it is that they're pricey ($45 I think).  The one I had stopped working so I bought another.

The biggest pro is that they're high on the "cool" factor, and very clean.  Just pick up the trap, dump the carcass wherever you decide to dispose of it, and rearm.  No blood or guts or any crap like that.  Quick and humane, too, if you care about that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#26]
[url]http://www.ratkill.com/main.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#27]

I have to thank you for all your responses.. I had read about the zapper before.. I see it available on ebay for 39 bucks.. plus 10 bucks shipping

The barrel traps is what I'm interested in I think..  I'll try your suggestions,
Thank you

I remember a wire cage they can get in, but cant get out.. it can catch
a multitude of rats a night, then you simply drown them submerging the cage.

OK, I've have found this cage in the UK for sale.. But I assume the shipping might be a little out of hand. Surely someone sells this type here in the US.

[img]http://www.ascott-shop.com/usrimage/hs32.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.ascott-shop.com/item1309.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:45:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought the answer to this one was easy:

Stop feeding the dogs.

After a few days the rats will either have gone away to other food sources or the dogs will get hungry enough to kill and eat the rats.

Or both.

Merlin
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]

I thought about it.. trust me.. [:)]

but the goats would have to starve too from their grain and sweet feed and I cant see a goat eating a rat.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Your welcome.
View Quote

This is a bit elaborate but it is effective I guarantee!

Another method is to take a 5 gal bucket and fill it half full of old french fry oil. It drowns the rats faster than water. Take some freezer paper and bunji it to cover the top. Place some dog food on top of the paper, lean a board on the side for a ramp, let the rats visit for 3 days or so, after three days slit the paper with an X, clean out the bucket in the morning and repeat.

Another alternative is to lock the pets up at night, take the dogs food and soak it in anti-freeze (ethelyne glychol) and leave the little trays around the infested area. It kills quick. Rats, cats, stray dogs, possums, racoons, foxes, cyotes, birds etc. Go out in the morning and pick up all the trays.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh that ain't nothin' Check out the AR of the rodent extermintating world, the Rodex 5000
[url]http://www.rodexindustries.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Dang, Anti rodent FAE?

Sweet...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#33]
FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD THIS WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Get your self a 5 gallon bucket, a soda can, a length of wire wire and some peanut butter. Take your can put a hole in either end dead center. Run the wire through the can and through both holes. Tie the wire off on both sides of the bucket on opposite sides. Fill the bucket with enough water so the rats cant touch bottom. Smear some peanut butter on the can and place the bucket next to a place where the rats can climb up and jump on the can. When they land on the can the can spins and dumps them in the water where they eventualy drown. Try it out and tell us how it works!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top