Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2002 7:05:33 AM EDT
Went to Circuit City yesterday to check out some TVs and really liked the following:

Projection
Hitachi - 53 inch
Sony - 53 inch
Both projection TVs will be about $3000 out the door (with tax and extended warranty)

Flat Screen
Sony - 36 inch about $3K out the door
Sony - 40 inch about $3,500 out the door
RCA - 38 inch about $2800 out the door

A few years ago, it was said that you can not beat the picture of a flat screen TV, but from what they were saying yesterday, with both flat screens and projection TVs having about the same HDTV components, the picture quality is negligible.

So, to me it makes sense to purchase a much larger screen for just about the same amount if not cheaper.

Anyone have any experience with these or have any info on which are the top of the line HDTVs and which don't require repairs and stuff like that.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Pioneer.  Got a 53" at Tweeter.  They ordered it for me because they only "stock" the elite line.  Good people at my local store.  Don't shop Best Buy who does carry the regular line of Pioneer.  

Pioneer is generally known as the maker of the better/best rear projection HDTVs...
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pioneer is generally known as the maker of the better/best rear projection HDTVs...
View Quote

I'm gonna hafta disagree with you on that one. Mitsubishi has no equal. PERIOD! I shopped around and settled for a 16:9 55 Mitsu after looking at EVERYTHING. Another plus is their 12 months, no interest, no payments, plan.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
ArChoo, I have a 55 16:9 HD mitsu as well, it is awesome. I just finished paying off the TV, a surround sound system, and a washer/dryer from Conn's. Never saw 5 grand go so fast!! The only downside to a widescreen (16:9 aspect ratio rather than the 4:3 of a "square" tv) is most normal TV will have to be altered in some way to fill the entire screen. The gray bars it uses to display a normal image are supposed to be bad for the screen if used too often. I don't know why they don't use black bars. After 8 months, I've gotten used to a stretched TV image. Makes all the women look bustier ;) It is totally worth it when you watch a DVD, especially a progressive scan image coming over a compnent video cable. Smooth as glass and crystal clear. VCR looks like shit though, and normal TV artifacting gets worse on the big screen (I use DISH satellite and their compression ratio causes some color smudging which can be real bad on the big screen). But, I am a movie watcher, so I am optimized for that. Get the biggest screen you can, after you pay it off, you will never regret it. I don't have a HD tuner yet, since there are so few HD stations. Might have to get one next x-mas though. Check to see if the TV you want has one already, or is just "HD ready". You can still take advantage of DVD with a hi-def TV without the need for a HD tuner. Good luck. LAter.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I went with the Pioneer. Do your research. (not at Circuit City or Best Buy) Find a high end store and ask questions. I talked to a Pioneer rep before I bought my set last year. He stated that the only difference between the Elite and regular sets is the shiny lacquer finish and gold plated RCA jacks. Essentially the same guts inside. Good luck.

Brian
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Pioneer Elite, course you will pay more.
Each Elite is hand built in US by one group of people.  I wouldnt compare these at all to the regular models.  The black lacquer looks sweet
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
"I'm gonna hafta disagree with you on that one. Mitsubishi has no equal. PERIOD!"

Gee, I thought I was being relatively cool and not EXTREMELY biased.....  in that case -- I guess all those guys that are into AV (like some of -us- are into guns) are wrong.  Sorry I commented....

BTW, do some more research and then tell me if you've changed your mind.  Forget the thousands you spent and focus on the quality of the product.  Hard to do huh?"
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#7]
After making a second visit, it looks like it is going to be the Hitachi (53 inch but thinking about the 61 inch). Unfortunately Circuit City only has a 3 month layaway and we are looking for a 6 month as this is when the house would be completed. The good news, in another few months they may still come down in price.

The only thing left now is to decide which to purchase. Either the square screen or the letter box screen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top