Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:45 PM EDT
This is a photo from the movie 28 Weeks Later.  Jeremy Renner is holding an M1A on the roof top here and there is a type of side mounted scope ring mount on his rifle.
I've been trying to find a way to mount my Leupold Mark IV scope on my M1A with my Badger scope rings and i am wondering if anyone knows what type of mount is being used here?

And then also, opinions on this type of mount (manufacturer) would really be appreciated and or recommendations on another brand of one that folks in the hive currently use or thinks would be better than what i am asking about in the photo...

I know nothing of these type of mounts, what they are called or the different companies that make them- so i was hoping maybe the GD hive would make some suggestions for me.
I'd like the scope ring mount to be of a quality brand- mil-spec would be nice and not some aftermarket junk that was copied- This is an open ended statement because as i said- I know nothing about these type of mounts for the M1A. My Badger scope rings are medium height and i am hoping i didn't make a mistake buying them before the ring mount for the M1A. Maybe i will need high rings, not sure.

Thank you all for your time!
M4-CQBR
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Not familiar with the brand but I'm doubtful that it will hold zero well. I base that on the observation that it appears to only have a single attachment point. ( the big knob on the side) the mount I have has that attachment point but also one that replaces the clip guide for a second attachment point. Just my opinion of course.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'd like the scope ring mount to be of a quality brand- mil-spec would be nice and not some aftermarket junk that was copied- This is an open ended statement because as i said- I know nothing about these type of mounts for the M1A. My Badger scope rings are medium height and i am hoping i didn't make a mistake buying them before the ring mount for the M1A. Maybe i will need high rings, not sure.

View Quote
looks like springfield

go ask the old guys in the m1a-m14 forum if you wan the exact model.

I would recommend a sadlak- they been doing it right a long time

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not familiar with the brand but I'm doubtful that it will hold zero well. I base that on the observation that it appears to only have a single attachment point. ( the big knob on the side) the mount I have has that attachment point but also one that replaces the clip guide for a second attachment point. Just my opinion of course.
View Quote

Yep. I see no attachment to where the stripper clip guide normally is. I had an  ARMS () M18 on mine, and it was a fine mount; with QD rings, you could leave the rail on the rifle and still use the irons.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't put that (edit: referring to th OP's movie pic) on one of my rifles. (Go with) Smith Ent or Sadlak for sure.

If you go with Smith, order the mounton the phone and specifically note that it's going on an M1A. They mod the mount slightly so it fits the scope rail of a cast receiver properly.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:50:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Scopes don't belong on M14's.

Get a AR10 or the like.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wouldn't put that on one of my rifles. Smith Ent or Sadlak for sure.
View Quote

Eh, well...I had gotten it before the douchebaggery had begun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hm? I was referring to the OP's movie pic. I would ONLY put a Smith Ent or Sadlak mount on an M1A. I'll clarify my post.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:01:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hm? I was referring to the OP's movie pic. I would ONLY put a Smith Ent or Sadlak mount on an M1A. I'll clarify my post.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, gotcha.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually have heard of Sadlak now that it has been mentioned. What are folks opinions on the ARMS M18 mount compared to the Sadlak?
And thank you guys for pointing out the "one point mount" in the movie photo.... I don't want one that only has one attachment point. Good looking out on that one...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Bassett Mount ,looks like that and has very good reviews among the M14 community as a solid mount that doesn't shoot loose and that is quickly removed and returns to zero.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. I see no attachment to where the stripper clip guide normally is. I had an  ARMS () M18 on mine, and it was a fine mount; with QD rings, you could leave the rail on the rifle and still use the irons.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5511/10547455725_ba9e9a7a2a_c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5511/10547455725_ba9e9a7a2a_c.jpg

This is what I have on mine.   Good solid mount.   Have had it about ten years now and no regrets about buying it.

I did start with a Springfield mount.  Yep, it sucked.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:44:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is a photo from the movie 28 Weeks Later.  Jeremy Renner is holding an M1A on the roof top here and there is a type of side mounted scope ring mount on his rifle.

M4-CQBR
View Quote

You sure it's an M1A?
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:47:55 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend swears by an ARMS18 he's got. Long in the tooth, but cool.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Appears to be a Basset mount or copy of same. Basset mounts are considered among the better M1A mounts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The OP pic looks like a B Square mount.  There are much better mounts than that available.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#18]
But for any scope mount to work, you have to have gloves with the fingers cut off
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#19]
The scope mount in the OP's picture is garbage. Get a Sadlak (the current version of the Brookfield design).
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:41:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I actually have heard of Sadlak now that it has been mentioned. What are folks opinions on the ARMS M18 mount compared to the Sadlak?
And thank you guys for pointing out the "one point mount" in the movie photo.... I don't want one that only has one attachment point. Good looking out on that one...
View Quote

The ARMS 18 is a good solid mount.  It does require removing the stripper clip guide, but that's nothing you would miss.

The old style ARMS 18 was machined out over the bolt.  Some prefer that.  The new one is solid across.  If you want, it can be milled out to the old profile.

Old style:
" />

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:06:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Sadlak
M14.ca
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#22]
One thing to note is that a Springfield M1A receiver is not exactly mil-spec dimensions (its beefed up in some places, I've heard). As a result, certain scope mounts designed around actual M14 receivers won't fit quite right on an M1A. the old style ARMS 18 is one of them. Go with the Sadlak, as they offer an option to tailor the mount you purchased to your receiver.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 5:41:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an ARMS 18, and my only gripe with it is that it mounts so low that ejecting brass will sometimes get stuck in it, causing a jam.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top