Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 8:13:22 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations on new FRS/GMRS radios… not to expensive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:09:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Define "not too expensive", because there are some exceptionally cheap (both inexpensive and shoddy build quality) FRS/GMRS radios out there.

Straight FRS can be used without a license.  GMRS requires a license, but one license will work for the whole family (or business, I think).  GMRS licenses are about $80 and I think they're good for three or five years.

Straight FRS is limited to half a watt and has a two mile range at best, usually less (the antennae are not replaceable and are not particularly good radiators).  GMRS radios can have much more power, and you can use, own, and operate repeaters (high powered radios that receive and retransmit signals to extend range to handheld and mobile radios).

For casual use, the FRS radios that come two-to-a-pack from Motorola, Uniden, Kenwood, Midland, or the other standard manufacturers are probably just fine, and will run you from $15-$75 for the set, with the price range varying features and quality.  

If you know you need better range, get a GMRS set from any of thsoe standard manufacturers and get a license from the FCC and buy the radios.  Count on higher power radios being a slight premium over the FRS radios, maybe $30-$100 a pair for the same features but higher power than the equivalent FRS models.

FRS and GMRS share some frequencies, but only GMRS licensees may transmit at higher power on those frequencies, and only GMRS licensees may transmit at all on the non-FRS frequencies.  GMRS users may transmit on the FRS frequencies, but not vice versa.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks… I know all that.

I want reconditions on specific models.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a pair of Motorola T-5000 radios (GMRS/FRS) at Target for about $50.  They came with two much smaller Motorola T-4500 FRS-only radios, too, for a total of four radios for $50.  The T-5000's are great.  

The T-4500 are totally functional and are great for kids.  They are small enough that there's no excuse not to carry them, even for the kids.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
i been wondering about gmrs. i can buy them right now without the fcc permit and use them, right? but what are the consequences???

these radios would be perfect for civ evacs like katrina if you're convoying with other vehicles. you won't be able to use your celfones cuz they'll either be jammed or down. you could use various surplus prc radios but the .mil might get upset if you're running across their freqs!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks… I know all that.

Okay.  Define "not too expensive" and tell me whether you have or intend to get a GMRS license.

I don't consider $1000 for a transciever to be all that terribly expensive, but I do blanche at the $8,999 mid-high-end models.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a pair of Midlands Model GXT500 they are a full 5 watt output and claim 14 mile range. So far the best has been 10 miles across some uninterupted flat land but thats not bad in my book they were $82 delivered.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
these radios would be perfect for civ evacs like katrina if you're convoying with other vehicles. you won't be able to use your celfones cuz they'll either be jammed or down.

My wife and I (driving in seperate cars) evactuating for Katrina the Saturday before it hit had this EXACT problem, and I'll definitely be buying a pair of FRS radios for next time.

--Mike
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks… I know all that.

Okay.  Define "not too expensive" and tell me whether you have or intend to get a GMRS license.

I don't consider $1000 for a transciever to be all that terribly expensive, but I do blanche at the $8,999 mid-high-end models.

Jim

$100... None of your business what I intent I ask for advice on radios and get the radio nanny.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got a pair of Midlands Model GXT500 they are a full 5 watt output and claim 14 mile range. So far the best has been 10 miles across some uninterupted flat land but thats not bad in my book they were $82 delivered.

Thank you that was helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top