Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2004 6:12:39 AM EDT
Serious question.  At age 40, I've noticed my eyes seem to take longer to shift focus points while shooting.  I have been nearsighted all my life but see close-up fine still.  I have heard that there are some really effective eye exercise that shooters are doing now that dramatically improve your vision capabilities.  Anyone know of a link or have any info on this?  Thanks, Alan
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:14:36 AM EDT
[#1]
too easy....

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
too easy....

Sgtar15

I've tried giving that up - but then my hand strength goes all to hell.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If you wear glasses, look at getting tri-focals - I consider this cheating - but what do I know?

First off - I'd reccomend taking a class.

Also, practice on this: Extend your finger out in front of you and focus on the tip.  Then change your focus on something 10 to 25 yards away (for pistol, 100 or so for rifle) and once you acquire it, change your focus back to your finger tip.

On top of that, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire - just because one aspect of your shooting ability is going to shit doesn't mean you can't still improve in other areas.

Boots Obermeyer, Mike Bykowski, Masaad Ayoob, and Jim Cirillo are all old farts - but I've seen them shoot and know that I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what they're dealing out.  Old age, for a lucky few, equals wisdom.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Seriously though, I read something in SWAT magazine about this. Anybody know?
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Also, practice on this: Extend your finger out in front of you and focus on the tip.  Then change your focus on something 10 to 25 yards away (for pistol, 100 or so for rifle) and once you acquire it, change your focus back to your finger tip.

$hit, 40? You think things are bad now, just wait until you hit 50!

Do the above for 5, then 10, then 15, then 20, etc and do it rapidly. Do like when you are takng a break at work. Actually, I just focus/look at something kind of close then look at somehting far away.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#7]
SGTAR15.  Thanks for the courtesy:).  I know that was too "easy"and your restraint is appreciated.  Anybody else have the official scoop on this new technique that seems to be very effective?  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top