Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:15 PM EDT
I'm graduating HS this coming June, and my parents have asked me to research something along the lines of a low-end laptop (I already have a very high-end desktop) for my grad present, so I thought I'd ask for information. I'm a near-expert when it comes to desktop components for Windows-based computers, but know little about laptops.

The uses will mainly be internet and office software while traveling. The most graphics-intense game it would play would probably be GTA: San Andreas on low settings, and the hardest processing would probably be non-intensive Photoshop. I also intend to, when I get my amateur radio technician's license, run some of the software suggested in the appropriate threads, but I imagine those aren't very processor- or memory-intensive.

I may, at some point, use it to experiment with Linux, but that's not a definite.

Therefore, what I'm imagining is something along the lines of a el-cheapo from Newegg. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:51:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/25/2006 8:52:10 PM EDT by WildBoar]
Most systems are decent. I will advise against Averatec or the Compaq Presario or HP Pavillion. The low end models come apart after a while. Literally.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:16:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WildBoar:
Most systems are decent. I will advise against Averatec or the Compaq Presario or HP Pavillion. The low end models come apart after a while. Literally.

HP hasn't ever made good PCs, have they? And my experiences with compaqs have always been bad. Never even HEARD of Averatec until now (well, I had, I just had no idea what they did).

Also, I assume since I want to limit the price to something low, I should stay away from Alienware and Falcon Northwest.
Top Top