Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2011 10:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/26/2011 10:09:02 AM EDT by Altair]
I've been interested in picking up some rifle plates for a while.  It seems like the calls of "man with a gun" seem to involve long guns more and more.  One of our local bangers just posted a bunch of pics of himself on facebook with an AK and it just seems like I've put this off long enough.

I read DocGKR's reviews on M4C.  I definitely want something that will stop M855, just too much of it floating around.  I also don't think I want ceramic.  I keep reading it is more fragile and has to be x-ray tested yearly for cracks.  This armor will spend most of its time banging around in my truck which will include emergency runs so I don't want something fragile.  I'd like light, but that isn't my main concern.  I'm not a little guy and this isn't something I'll be wearing most of the time.  

I think I'm leaning toward the AMI TAC3S plates and carrier found here:  http://www.strykertactical.com/amiarmorpg1.htm  They performed the best in Doc's tests taking a very large number of rounds on a single plate and exhibiting limited spall problems.

The problem is that the whole set is $1295.  If I have to spend that to get what I want, I will, but I've also come across http://www.bulletproofme.com/ which seems have have similarly rated equipement for much less.  That is, of course, what worries me.  I don't want to buy junk for something like this so if I need to bite the bullet and pop the $1300, so be it.

Anyone have personal experience with either of these? Is there another option I should be looking for?
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 1:03:22 PM EDT
No, you do wNt light, you will carry it to the range and train in it and may wear them for hours at a time on callouts. Add the weight of your plates, duty gear, rifle, the wounded fat ass coworker your dragging out of the line of fire, and then try to egress up a flight of stairs in all that shit.

Pay extra, go light, trust me.

Also ive beat the shit out of a pair of IV Sa ceramic bulletproof me plates and havent seen any structural issues yet.
I hit about a dozen speed bumps a day at 40 and bounced those fuckers off the trunk lid and they havent cracked yet. And thats in hooptie units with 150,000 miles and no shocks. Ceramic is tougher than you think. They mostly only fragment on the sides like when you make an arrowhead. Cracking one all the way through length or widthways would be a feat.

And i can/have broken EVERYTHING!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 10:15:10 PM EDT
I would say a big part is the carrier.  I have MaxPro ceramic plates in a CONDOR compact plate carrier that is set up to get thrown on over my daily uniform & kevlar vest.  The plates combined are 14 pounds, everything on the vest is probably 20.  I have worn it for extended periods during barricaded subject calls and haven't had a problem with the weight.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:26:55 PM EDT
I just ordered a multi hit level IV stand alone ceramic from BPM. It will be here tomorrow. I ordered a steel III+ from another outfit in New Hampshire for a back plate and it should be here friday. I will see how they look as soon as my carrier comes in.  I too am getting a lot of calls for some crazy suicidal/homicidal person with a long gun lately.   My issue vest is only level II so its not my ideal setup. If I could find a level IIIA helmet for a decent price I would be set. But thats probably not going to happen.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:15:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MonkeyBomb:
I just ordered a multi hit level IV stand alone ceramic from BPM. It will be here tomorrow. I ordered a steel III+ from another outfit in New Hampshire for a back plate and it should be here friday. I will see how they look as soon as my carrier comes in.  I too am getting a lot of calls for some crazy suicidal/homicidal person with a long gun lately.   My issue vest is only level II so its not my ideal setup. If I could find a level IIIA helmet for a decent price I would be set. But thats probably not going to happen.

Just Ebay for ach helmets, theyre only about $200 in new condition but you will have to look around for quite a while to get a good one. I have one but personally i only bothered carrying it on weekends due to the weight/size versus utility issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:09:36 PM EDT
I got the BMP mulit hit level IV plate in today.  Its rated for the interm 05 NIJ standards.  Its the triple curve plate and fits better than any of the old plates I have had in the past.  I have no idea who makes their plates though. I had thought it was CPC but they are out of business.

Shipping was fast and everything looks good so far. The steel plate is due in tommorow but I have no cluse when the carier will get here.

I won't be ordering a helmet from e-bay.  I can get them from a manufacturer for the 200 range and be sure of what I'm getting. The helmets on the back burner for now.  I will be happy to have a little more protection available.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:20:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MonkeyBomb:
I got the BMP mulit hit level IV plate in today.  Its rated for the interm 05 NIJ standards.  Its the triple curve plate and fits better than any of the old plates I have had in the past.  I have no idea who makes their plates though. I had thought it was CPC but they are out of business.

Shipping was fast and everything looks good so far. The steel plate is due in tommorow but I have no cluse when the carier will get here.

I won't be ordering a helmet from e-bay.  I can get them from a manufacturer for the 200 range and be sure of what I'm getting. The helmets on the back burner for now.  I will be happy to have a little more protection available.

Well shit, if you had the $200 hook up on ACH's from a reputable place then why didnt you tell me when i was buying mine!

I ended up buying my Sgt's old one in like new condition when he upgraded to that $600 Ops Core Fast helmet thats level III and more sporty looking or whatever.

Also is there going to be a weight difference between the steel and ceramic plate? its not going to make your plate carrier sag more in the front or back will it?

I dont think that would be an issue but i have matching plates so im not sure.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:29:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 12:49:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 1:01:39 PM EDT by Tango7]
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:25:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tango7:
As a stich b*tch may I suggest another option?

If you're really worried about shocks ask a local sewing place to add a layer of GI sleeping pad material to the inside bottom of your gear / callout bag. You could either have them make a pad the size of the bottom of your bag then fab up a matching nylon covering to make a covered removable base pad like you find in luggage or just sew it direct to the bottom of the bag if you're planning on replacing it eventually.

If you want to be extra fancy have them sew up matching "walls" to the ID of your kit as well to provide side protection, kind of like an overgrown NVG pouch. The advantage of making it removable is it allows the bag to be thrown into the washing machine.

my vest is too big to fit in a duty bag and would probably go in a huge seebee duffle bag and even then it would be a pain in the butt to yank it out of there and put it on in a hurry. It usually sat in my passenger seat all staged to be yanked out and tossed over my shoulders in a hurry, or in the trunk all prepped to be put on. You should be able to don the thing fasten everything and go in 10 seconds or less.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:10:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:15:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By hkusp9:

my vest is too big to fit in a duty bag and would probably go in a huge seebee duffle bag and even then it would be a pain in the butt to yank it out of there and put it on in a hurry. It usually sat in my passenger seat all staged to be yanked out and tossed over my shoulders in a hurry, or in the trunk all prepped to be put on. You should be able to don the thing fasten everything and go in 10 seconds or less.

So you're like me then - plenty of... ummm... "real estate" on your MOLLE vest (unlike the guys in the XS-S uniform shirts)

no im about a 34 inch waist and 6'00" 190 lbs. The vest is just big and heavy with the hard plates and side plates and pouches and stuff. So, anyhow, even a regular sized vest is a bitch to cram in a small space and make it quick and easy to deploy.
Top Top