Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2012 2:33:52 AM EDT
My wife is going to be graduating from nursing school in May. As a gift I would like to get her a pearl necklace and a set of ear rings. I've read the basics, but there seems to be a range of sizes and lengths. I've found plenty of 6-10mm pearl necklaces, what is a desired size? Is bigger better? Also, Would you rather have a tapered set or a strand that is made up of all the same size pearls? Finally, my wife is about 5'8"/120lbs would a 16 or 18" set be more desirable? I'll probably stick with bluenile.com as I was really pleased with the diamond I received from them for her wedding ring.

I'm looking for recommendations for a really special gift she can enjoy the rest of her life. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Te he
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Te he

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Mikimoto Pearls...

Tapered, sixteen. Matching e-rings. Do it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:31:07 AM EDT
[#5]
What did I miss?
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did I miss?

Seriously?
ETA- no disrespect intended.  My wife kept asking me what I was laughing about, and I asked her.  Now, I've been trying to give my wife a pearl necklace since before we were married.  All I've managed to get her to accept is a set of earrings.  My wife's opinion is that a regular strand, no taper, is the way to go.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:33:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What did I miss?

Gthirteen acting their age.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:40:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did I miss?

Gthirteen acting their age.  

Women's forum and all. This is still arfcom. Deal with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm giving out free pearl necklaces
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:47:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 3:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:24:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Any more sexual innuendo will result in locks or warnings. "it's arfcom" is not an excuse. Please behave like adults.

Will double entendres get a lock?

To OP, has she ever mentioned she wanted pearls?  Seems a little old fashioned. All I know is that the good ones are easily damaged.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mikimoto Pearls...

I could do that but she also needs a new(ish) car, so I need to keep it <$1000.00

I'm thinking about this set in 16 or 18.
18" Freshwater 7-7.5mm pearls

and these ear rings
7mm Pearl Earrings

Quoted:
Quoted:
Any more sexual innuendo will result in locks or warnings. "it's arfcom" is not an excuse. Please behave like adults.

To OP, has she ever mentioned she wanted pearls?  Seems a little old fashioned. All I know is that the good ones are easily damaged.

No she hasn't but I've always viewed them as classy and elegant not old fashioned. Is that really what everyone thinks about pearls
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:50:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mikimoto Pearls...

I could do that but she also needs a new(ish) car, so I need to keep it <$1000.00

and these ear rings
7mm Pearl Earrings

Quoted:
Quoted:

No she hasn't but I've always viewed them as classy and elegant not old fashioned. Is that really what everyone thinks about pearls

My fashion sense is nil. But I really have not noticed many women wearing pearls lately. Could you discretely bounce it off one of her close friends
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 5:14:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Ignore everything I said. My wife tells me that pearls are not out of style.  They are "classic".   Of course she knows zippo about important things like which round for zombies so we are even.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#18]
The length I like is around 18 or smaller. The size of the pearl depends on what kind of pearl you are getting but around 7mm would be my choice. Whether its tapered or not is kind of a personal choice. If she is really dainty and doesn't like large jewelry then I would get it tapered.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
I've never been into pearls myself but I'm sure there is a population of women out there that still like them.  I'd rather eat the oyster.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I love my pearl necklace.

Get an idea of what shade she likes. I don't like the bright white, I like the off white.

I wore my mom's on my wedding day. There were darker than off white, and my grandma's were almost brown.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#21]
got my GF a 18" strand of 8mm baroque style pearls (can't for the life of me recall if they're tihitian or akoya they are saltwater though) for Christmas. she likes them pretty well.

they're not top of the line, but they're still pretty nice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mikimoto Pearls...

and these ear rings
7mm Pearl Earrings

Quoted:
Quoted:

you're right. pearls are timeless. you can dress them up or down. I would take that set you picked any day! I think she will love them! i personally wouldnt want the tapered, and im small so id go with the smaller chain too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I've settled on this necklace 7mm Akoya pearls, 18" strand with matching e-rings.

Would you want a white, ivory, or rose overtone?

18" 7mm pearl necklace
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:17:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Ivory.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:21:10 AM EDT
[#25]
White.  But you have seen my bad advice above.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I think I've settled on this necklace 7mm Akoya pearls, 18" strand with matching e-rings.

Would you want a white, ivory, or rose overtone?

18" 7mm pearl necklace

My favorite is the ivory. But that is just me

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Why don't you ask her?

I took Mrs. Javak to a local Mikimoto store for her pearl necklace after our wedding.  I figure what I can afford, find out what I can get for the money, and let her choose.

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:57:50 PM EDT
[#28]
By the way, the idea has grown on me. I think I am going to get my wife pearls for her birthday.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why don't you ask her?

I took Mrs. Javak to a local Mikimoto store for her pearl necklace after our wedding.  I figure what I can afford, find out what I can get for the money, and let her choose.

I love Mikimoto!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:49:47 AM EDT
[#30]
OP,

My fiancee's daughter asked for pearls for her high school graduation. I think she was hoping to get the Mikimoto strand her mothe rbought from her parents years ago but she's not.

We were at Super K-Mart the other week and they were having a sale on their jewelry. She bought all the pearls they had. 4 bracelets ($50 each marked down 70%, a 106" necklace, and another strand.) All told she wound up paying just under $200 for everything. She's made it a regular haunt to find deals like that again.

They're real pearls too. They're not Mikimoto or Nakamichi or whomever makes really high $$ jewelry out of them but they're still nice items that she's going to gift her daughter with.

You might also want to look at your local Sam's Club and Costco since they also sell jewelry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#31]
So far I've gotten my wife a necklace, earrings and a bracelet of pearls.

My dad helped me out knowledge wise (he's in the industry) and got me some good deals.

I do know one thing - stay real, don't get the fake or manufactured ones.

What you put into the gift is what it is - not what it looks like.

ETA: even the earrings were above 200$
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#32]
You have one lucky lady
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top