Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2004 4:52:32 AM EDT
..a martial arts style.

Looking to start taking classes and not sure of what style to look for.
I'd like something that is offensive as well as defensive and pretty intense to help get/stay in shape.

Opinions/suggestions welcome.

Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#1]
kenpo was my choice.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Red, mind expanding on the reasons why?
Thanks
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
It's very diverse, here's an FAQ for your reading enjoyment.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I chose Jiu Jitsu. I wrestled in high school and this was the next step. For me I never liked getting my ass handed to me on the ground and a lot of fights end up there. I've also liked boxing for a long time. I figure with these two under my belt, I can handle anybody on the average joe scale. Anybody better , I'll just shoot!  I suggest staying away from dojo's or styles that promise "Death Touch  of the Ninja" type crap, watch some U.F.C. bouts , nobody in the real world does any of that ninja garbage . I saw ONE guy that had 20 years or so of some exotic martial arts training , I think it was literally some type of ninja stuff, anyway he got his ass beat BAD!! Hope this helps. Take care. Coondog
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Tae Kwon Doe without a doubt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:11:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I would suggest that you decide based on your individual fighting style.  I have a very aggressive style and therefor chose Korean karate.   A more defensive oriented individual may go for judo or ju-jutsu.  If yu are tall and long legged, then Tae Kwan Do or Tang Soo Do may be better for you due to more emphasis on kicks.  

If you want intensity,  karate is what you want.  Ops
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:34:08 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want to win competitions, karate.
If you want to win fights, Jeet Kune Do
Look it up.
Hint: A VERY famous asian martial artist developed it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#8]
My dojo has a blended style, with groundwork, kicks, and punches. If you are passive-aggressive and want the eastern mindset...ie"one with your opponent, unity" mentality...I recommend a sensei that blends Akido and Jujitsu. If you just want to learn defence, how to win fights, and such-take Krav Maga.    www.kravmaga.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Everyone will tell you there style is the best. It may be for them. Most schools will let you take a free trial class I suggest you take them up on there offer. Try a bunch of different styles and pick one you are the most comfortable with. I also suggest you try more than one in any given style. You will often find one style is taught very differently by different teachers. In my experience there is no magic Art that is good in all situations or a jack of all trades MA that teaches all aspects well. After a while you find out you have to learn different things from different teachers. Last bit of advice if you ever go into a school and feel as thought the instructor is trying to show you he can kick you’re a** you might be in the wrong school. Chances are he knows less than the quiet confident guy. Look for the school where respect is mutual.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to be taking krav maga shortly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top