Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 5:16:35 PM EDT
Anyone have the song "Sean South" by the Jolly Beggarmen in MP3 that you could send me? I own it on cassette, so it's legal....

The deal is, I've got this old tape called "The Very Best of Irish Rebel Songs" that I LOVE....well, it's wearing out and getting to be almost unlistenable. I managed to track down a CD issue of it about a year ago....but Sean South, which is one of my favorites, is missing from the CD. (Y'all would like this song too, it has Sten guns and such in it.....)

anyways, if you've got this song and can share it with me, please let me know....I'd almost welcome versions from any OTHER band as well, but that's not exactly kosher legally I guess since I don't own the CD.....

thanks!

T'was on a dreary New Years Eve
As the shades of night came down
A lorry load of volunteers approached the border town
There were men from Dublin and from Cork, Fermanagh and Tyrone
And the leader was a Limerick man - Sean South from Garryowen

As they moved along the street up to the barracks door
They scorned the danger they might face
Their fate that lay instore
They were fighting for old Ireland to claim their very own
And the foremost of that gallant band
Was South from Garryowen

But the seargent spied their daring plan
He spied them trough the door
The Sten guns and the rifles a hail of death did pour
And when that awful night had passed
Two men lay cold as stone
There was one from near the border and one from Garryowen

No more wil he hear the seagull's cry
Over the murmurring Shannon tide
For he fell beneath a Northern sky brave Hanlon by his side
They have gone to join that gallant band
Of Plunkett, Pearse and Tone
A martyr for old Ireland
Sean South from Garryowen

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll check Napster when I get home, can not from work.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I got it.

In three versions.

Irish Brigade okay? Not sure where my Wild Geese CD is. Need an email or IM name to sent it to.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I was able to rig something up and make an MP3 recording out of my cassette. which, if y'all want it, you can get here:

s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2UD774AYK4YBU3PRLNB8VXKBBS

that link'll last 25 downloads - if it runs out and more of you want it, let me know and I'll re-upload.

Thanks 91stsps and Spade for the offers, but I got it now....
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Fergal O'Hanlon was the other person killed in that raid, which happened in 1957.  His persona was used by Dominc Behan for this song...which you *might* have heard of if you're into Rebel songs:

"Come all ye young rebels, and list while I sing,
For the love of one's country is a terrible thing.
It banishes fear with the speed of a flame,
And it makes us all part of the patriot game.

My name is O'Hanlon, and I've just turned sixteen.
My home is in Monaghan, that's where I was weaned
I learned all my life cruel England's to blame,
So now I am part of the patriot game.

This Ireland of ours has too long been half free.
Six counties lie under John Bull's tyranny.
But still De Valera is greatly to blame
For shirking his part in the Patriot game.

They told me how Connolly was shot in his chair,
His wounds from the fighting all bloody and bare.
His fine body twisted, all battered and lame
They soon made me part of the patriot game.

It's nearly two years since I wandered away
With the local battalion of the bold IRA,
For I read of our heroes, and wanted the same
To play out my part in the patriot game.

I don't mind a bit if I shoot down police
They are lackeys for war never guardians of peace
And yet at deserters I'm never let aim
The rebels who sold out the patriot game

And now as I lie here, my body all holes
I think of those traitors who bargained in souls
And I wish that my rifle had given the same
To those Quislings who sold out the patriot game."

Out of curiosity, how would I go about getting songs from vinyl to CD?  I would be happy to share some of the WAY out of print albums I have, but I don't have the slightest clue how to do it.  Does anyone know?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:23:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Fenian, "Patriot Game" is very much a favorite of mine.

Here's how I made the recording. I used a double-ended stereo cable (like this) to connect the headphone port on my stereo to the mic input jack on my computer. Then, I used Audacity software to make the recording. The program itself will record to WAV format, but if you install the LAME encoder you can save the file as an MP3. Either a MP3 or WAV can be burned to a CD.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]
There are two versions on Napster, one I am listening to now is live by the Wolfe Tones.  If you send me your e-mail I can e-mail this one to you.  Anyone else out there like the group "The Irish Brigade"?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Fenian, "Patriot Game" is very much a favorite of mine.

Here's how I made the recording. I used a double-ended stereo cable (like this) to connect the headphone port on my stereo to the mic input jack on my computer. Then, I used Audacity software to make the recording. The program itself will record to WAV format, but if you install the LAME encoder you can save the file as an MP3. Either a MP3 or WAV can be burned to a CD.

ok...that makes sense...but I'd have to drag a strereo amp and the tape deck down to where my computers are.  I don't know what kind of plug the headphone port uses, but I'm guessing it's a standard 1/4" stereo jack...where did you get the converter to get it down to a mini plug for the sound card?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are two versions on Napster, one I am listening to now is live by the Wolfe Tones.  If you send me your e-mail I can e-mail this one to you.  Anyone else out there like the group "The Irish Brigade"?  

Yep.  I have their version of "My Little Armalite" and a copy of "Going Home at Last".

Wolfe Tones, of course, are classic. I saw them two years back at a bar in Scranton, PA.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  I have their version of "My Little Armalite" and a copy of "Going Home at Last".

Wolfe Tones, of course, are classic. I saw them two years back at a bar in Scranton, PA.

I was still in my 30's the first time I saw them...I can vaguely remember back that far.  

Absolutley the best buy in Irish Rebel songs is the Fighting Men from Crossmaglen double CD that has 50 songs on it.  It's on the Derry Records label, and goes for about $16 *if* you can find it.  I've pretty much worn the CD out.  It's got almost all of the "old favorites" with some newer stuff thrown in.
linky here:www.dararecords.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/pages/page537.html

Danny Doyle has a brilliant CD out about the 1978 Rebellion called "Rebels: The Gold Sun of Freedom" or something like that.  It's a 16,000 word spoken/song tour de force about the United Irishmen and their failed attempt.  I got the chance to see him perform this live, and it was awesome.  He also does a similar performance about the Easter Rising, but sadly, has not committed that one to CD.  I saw him do this one one St. Patrick's day about 7 or 8 years ago...once again, a great performance.  

I don't know if the Gold Sun CD is still available...I didn't see it on his website.  It must be out of print...I just popped over to Amazon, and they're getting $85 USED for it

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks,  These are couple of  CD I have to track down.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]

I love these threads.  I'm always amazed how many others like this music.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I really like the Ulleann Pipes music, at first my wife HATED it now I have to check her Jeep for my CD's!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:44:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Absolutley the best buy in Irish Rebel songs is the Fighting Men from Crossmaglen double CD that has 50 songs on it.  It's on the Derry Records label, and goes for about $16 *if* you can find it.  I've pretty much worn the CD out.  It's got almost all of the "old favorites" with some newer stuff thrown in.
linky here:www.dararecords.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/pages/page537.html

Wow, that's got a lot on it.

I'd also like to find copies of some of Wolfhound's stuff. Damned if I've been able to.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

ok...that makes sense...but I'd have to drag a strereo amp and the tape deck down to where my computers are.  I don't know what kind of plug the headphone port uses, but I'm guessing it's a standard 1/4" stereo jack...where did you get the converter to get it down to a mini plug for the sound card?  

Radio shack.

I run my computer's output into my stereo rather than use little computer speakers, and since I use my computer also as a big stereo and basically did what want to, in reverse.  It shouldn't be hard to find what you need. Takes 5 seconds to set up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I don't know what kind of plug the headphone port uses, but I'm guessing it's a standard 1/4" stereo jack...where did you get the converter to get it down to a mini plug for the sound card?  

Radio Shack has a converter to scale down a 1/4" headphone plug to the 1/8" soundcard input. On my stereo, the headphone jack is a 1/8" plug so I just used a double ended 1/8" cable like the one I linked to.

I've got the song I was looking for now but if any of you guys are wanting to send me anything, email it to me at [email protected] . I'm also gonna try to track down those CD's mentioned....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I really like the Ulleann Pipes music, at first my wife HATED it now I have to check her Jeep for my CD's!!  

ah, the Uillean pipes...no sweeter sound exists for in Irishman, except maybe the sound of a Guinness bieng opened hehe.  

In no particular order, my favorites are:

Paddy Keenen
Jerry O'Sullivan
Liam O'Flynn
Davy Spillane

I hired a great local piper named Keiran O'Hare to play at my father's funeral and wake.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:42:59 PM EDT
[#18]
oops

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top